Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2007, 11:54   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Anyone Using On-Board Fuel Polisher / ALGAE-X?

Curious if anyone has plumbed in a fuel polisher and/or Algae-X system.... results worth it?

Would appreciate any info.

Old 18-04-2007, 12:21   #2
Eternal Member

I've got both.

Onboard fuel polisher: absolutely worth it. Worth it's weight in gold. See pic at: Gallery :: Miscellaneous 2007 :: FuelPolish_0138

Notice the valve at lower right. It's an added bonus, which allows me to suck fuel into the tank from an alternate source (like 5-gallon jugs), or to pump fuel out if needed (like to fill up the regular Raycors, etc.). Pic: Gallery :: Miscellaneous 2007 :: Raycors_0136

Algae-X. Maybe it works, maybe it's just snake oil, but it doesnt' hurt.

My fuel is clean as a whistle.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 12:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If it is a fule polishing system with "real" filters, then yes it will work. If you are refering to that magnet thing, forget it. It is pure snake oil.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 12:43   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Bill,
Looks like you built your system around a spare Racor 500? Do you have a recirculating pump arrangement where you can continuosly recirc the fuel in the tank? Or is this just multiple filters on your engine fuel feed?

I have a dual filter setup that looks similar to yours - can select either of 2 Racor 500s for engine supply. Can set the manifold to pull from either tank and discharge to either tank - but the return is only the fuel the engine doesn't use. Not a true polishing system with a dedicated recirc pump in my setup.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:49   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Bill - nice fuel set up - dual racors and polisher - looked thru your pics - what are the benefits of the Walker air separator - why install one?

Thanks, Randy
Old 31-12-2012, 19:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43
Re: Anyone Using On-Board Fuel Polisher / ALGAE-X?

I have had nothing but good results with the Algae-X magnetic fuel conditioners.. I find it funny so many negative reviews... I would be interested if these people have tried it, or are just knocking it out of principle.
Informative discussion and criticism is good, but the constant "beating" by some people is not backed up by any personal experience.

I know it works, its hard not to when the results are staring you back in the face.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 20:15   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I started out with a Groco sea water strainer with a fine mesh screen basket in it, then a Algae-X, then two racors with a gauges and a change over valve! I find that even a badly algaed up tank or tanks, will clean up fast with this set up!! Of course I forgot the electric fuel pump LOL Ive mounted all of this on a epoxyed 2ftx2ft 3/4 marine plywood! a little heavy, but portable!! and ya just clean the trap and the algae-x and drain the water and change the racors as needed !! Works great, aznd can be used evedn if the engine is running or shut down !! Just takes some used stuf or news if ya want !! It will cure all your fuel problems except for air leaks !! Or it has for us !!
Old 31-12-2012, 20:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

I love the idea of the sea water strainer pre-LGX. Very innovative!!
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 02:14   #9
CFR

magnetic fuel conditioner are only working for the seller....... but you allways can use them at home to soften your drinking water or in your car to increase the energy of gasoline so it is a multipurpose device, maybe evebn helpfull against getting seasick
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 15:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I bought a vessel that sat for 6 years with no machinery maintenance. I used algae-x conditioner and their magnet on a vessel with WWII fuel tanks. I needed to do a coastwise voyage of a few hundred miles and didn't want trouble. In addition to putting new fuel in separate tanks, I took along a case of primary and secondary filters.
The trip, Canada to NW US was made in small craft warnings or better along with a bad bar crossing.
During the trip the magnet, checked later, caught so much rust that it's housing was almost plugged. All that would have been caught in the primary filter. As it was I never plugged a filter.
I think anybody with good mechanical skills and diesel knowledge can make the equivalent of a fuel polisher, but if you have a proper filter system and use a good stabilizer for layup times, you shouldn't need a polisher.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 15:51   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I bought a vessel that sat for 6 years with no machinery maintenance. I used algae-x conditioner and their magnet on a vessel with WWII fuel tanks. I needed to do a coastwise voyage of a few hundred miles and didn't want trouble. In addition to putting new fuel in separate tanks, I took along a case of primary and secondary filters.
The trip, Canada to NW US was made in small craft warnings or better along with a bad bar crossing.
During the trip the magnet, checked later, caught so much rust that it's housing was almost plugged. All that would have been caught in the primary filter. As it was I never plugged a filter.
I think anybody with good mechanical skills and diesel knowledge can make the equivalent of a fuel polisher, but if you have a proper filter system and use a good stabilizer for layup times, you shouldn't need a polisher.
You write the vessel sat for 6 years but did you get new fuel or did you run the fuel that had been sitting in there for the past 6 years?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel