Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 12:03   #46

Re: Antifouling in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I can't understand what you (and others) could be doing different from me that leads to such drastically different results from the same paint. Makes me wonder if it is not just the paint, but how it is applied, the color, how the boat is used after it is painted, or ?
I have read that color makes a difference, different copper loading in some colors in some paints. One was Black. One was Blue. Two different boats, same paint, different colors.
It is a dilemma for sure. May be related to the specific geo area and how much the boat is moved or sitting etc. I 'm not knocking Trinidad (at least any more than most bottom paints in the US), just noting my personal experience. I doubt application is an issue, at least regarding deterring growth, once it's on there, it's there. Longevity before the paint wears off could be an application issue though. These were rolled.
OTOH, Jotun Dutch paint applied in Trinidad lasted about 2 years in Caribe and sitting in Florida, boat unused. Just before the survey for sale I had a diver down to clean the bottom. He came up and said "there's nothing to clean" :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:22   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have read that color makes a difference, different copper loading in some colors in some paints. One was Black. One was Blue. Two different boats, same paint, different colors.
Copper content difference between different colors of a given product line is minimal at best and certainly not enough to make an appreciable difference in anti fouling performance. 21 years and 25,000 hull cleaning's experience talking here.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 13:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
We all wish for your results. Tell us more about your application details if you will.
Ben Miller in Kemah did mine. Three coats in two days, then a bit under 24 hours between last coat and resplash. We have only been out of the water once since then, and that was for 2 days. Ever since Marathon Florida we have algae growth that needs to be wiped off every few weeks, but nothing else.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 15:19   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Sheesh guys,
Let's not let this turn into a thread like "my anchor is better than yours". The idea of what works well in your conditions isn't the same for my conditions, shouldn't be new. It sounds like between us their is more than a century of experience.

We all have our personal preferences and biases. All we're doing is sharing them. If any of the bottom paints were really terrible they wouldn't still be on the market. Same as varnish. What works well in the NE may be terrible in sub-tropical FL and vice versa.

Peace my brothers of the cloth. 😊

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 15:40   #50

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
In high-fouling waters, that is an unrealistic expectation, regardless of which anti fouling paint you use.
Yes, agree with that based on my experience in such waters.

Raindog used my first choice paint (and yours) whi h was out of stock when I chose number two in January. He is in the exact same waters as me though maybe more in the northern part of my cruising grounds. So I was curiuos about his experience and do not doubt he is reporting them accurately.

Next time back to Trinidad for me.
Old 19-08-2015, 03:32   #51

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We have had 3 cats painted w seahawk. In the exact same slip in Tavernier. 1st one had year and a half old seahawk cukote had no issues with growth ever.
Also a cat with seahawk biocop tf and no growth. Used 2 coats seahawk cukote on most recent cat, and hard growth in 2 months at waterline. Checked for electrolysis issues and everything ok. Hauled out to inspect and svc drives and seahawk rep said paint is performing as expected. Not happy w performance. Either something changed with the water causing more growth or their paint changed ( perhaps as a result of their environmental law suit from epa)?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 13:33   #52
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Makes sense, they are based in Ft. Meyers. I just noticed in their ad, "not approved for Washington or California". Too much copper - Super ShipbottomÂ* Hard Ablative Antifouling Paint
Update- I just finished doing the first cleaning on a new Seahawk Tropicote (red) bottom on a Standfast 36. Paint sold, and applied by Svendsen's Marine in Alameda. The boatowner showed me the can of leftovers- 75.8% cuprous oxide. So please tell me how Super Shipbottom has too much copper to be sold in California.
Old 21-08-2015, 14:25   #53
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Update- I just finished doing the first cleaning on a new Seahawk Tropicote (red) bottom on a Standfast 36. Paint sold, and applied by Svendsen's Marine in Alameda. The boatowner showed me the can of leftovers- 75.8% cuprous oxide. So please tell me how Super Shipbottom has too much copper to be sold in California.
Hey, when I get time I'll send them an email. Maybe see what they have to say.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 13:24   #54
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Things may be changing - Banning copper-based bottom paint in California - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

http://www.calcampaign.com/send.aspx?ID=3
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:59   #55

Boat: Bristol 41.1

From the report referenced above:

"...statistical analysis shows that there is no statistically significant difference in dissolved copper levels in the marinas and the adjacent channel sites."

Hard to see any urgency in burdensome regulations based on this.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:07   #56

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
From the report:

"...statistical analysis shows that there is no statistically significant difference in dissolved copper levels in the marinas and the adjacent channel sites."

Hard to see any urgency in burdensome regulations based on this.
Never underestimate the ability of a government to make a stupid regulation contrary to the scientific data. In Wilmington NC they got a no discharge zone implemented because of high coliform counts near the boat ramps. So they outlawed electrosans which are very unlikely to use a boat ramp. Do you think it made any difference to the people who did not want to take home a full portapottie?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:21   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is nothing new. A similar regulation in Marina del Rey met strong public condemnation two years ago. So strong that the RWQCB has tabled the idea for now. What is clear that water quality mandates regarding copper will never be met until copper is actually removed from anti fouling paint. But the political will for that doesn't yet exist in California.
Old 25-08-2015, 18:30   #58

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Antifouling in florida

Quote:
That's interesting. I find Trinidad to be one of the best anti fouling paints you can buy and have never found any Seahawk product to be worth a damn. Different regions, different paint performance
You said it. Come to the BVI and SXM and you will find that Sea Hawk's Islands 44 works great where most paints are useless.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:38   #59

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
In high-fouling waters, that is an unrealistic expectation, regardless of which anti fouling paint you use.
I disagree. The Pro Valor charter fleet in the BVI uses will not clean the hulls until a year from painting with Islands 44 with Tin Boost.

I would agree with your statement if you left good TBT paints out of it.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 19:38   #60
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Antifouling in florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Come to the BVI and SXM and you will find that Sea Hawk's Islands 44 works great where most paints are useless.
TriButyl tin paints are banned in most seafaring nations and their use is reprehensible.

Tags
anti-fouling, florida