Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 05:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Anti Fouling Paint..... SeaCoat

Hello all,

So I follow s/v Delose.... They recently blasted the bottom of their boat and added a paint I have never heard of called SeaCoat. A silicone based, hard curing, non ablative, reportedly non toxic application that they say lasts 10 years.... Looking forward to hearing their results. Was wondering if anybody had experience with this product.

seacoat.com

Thanks

Greg

NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anti Fouling Paint..... SeaCoat

See ➥ Silicone Bottom Paint

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:37   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Thanks!!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 21:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are Youtube videos on Seacoat. I don't believe you can buy the product for do it yourself application. Only from an approved yard. Probably extremely expensive.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
There are Youtube videos on Seacoat. I don't believe you can buy the product for do it yourself application. Only from an approved yard. Probably extremely expensive.

I am also looking at this. I pinged them and it was 1500 for 4 gallons in the US for a 40 catamaran.

They did stress that you get a better finish if you use a sprayer.

If it lasts then would pay itself off on haul outs.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28   #6

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I have a test panel soaking at West Palm right now. It's been in a month, so we're about to see how it did.

I priced it for my cat, and the price was good. But then it has to be blasted (quoted $3300) and sprayed (quoted $1800) plus paint. Haulout, yard fees, materials etc, I figured I'd be about $8500 all in. But, considering that my neighbor with the same make/model boat as me just paid $6000 for an ablative job that will last 2 years max, it's cheap if it lives up to the brochure.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:57   #7

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Hempel Silic One is priced a lot less if you're able to get it in the states. We have some on order, but wont get to applying it until early spring.

Matt
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I actually watched them do the job in the yard here at Spice Island. Surprisingly it went much quicker than I expected. She was tented, blasted and sprayed in like a week.

I'm also insterested in the results. I suspect Delos is a good candidate as they move alot. My understanding is this paint is no good for harbor queens. You need to move to sluff the growth.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 02:13   #9

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

While it works on entirely different principles, copper coat also gives you a 10 year expected lifespan. I've seen boats get more than 10 years out of it in the Med but they usually get hauled for a variety of reasons multiple times before the 10+ years is up despite the quality of the paint. Saildrive, prop and anode maintenance or retouching of paint after groundings are examples.

My point is that when you do the math, I would not assume you won't haul for 10 years. Probably safest to figure you'll save extra cost of semi-annual paint, labor and related supplies. Anything else will be a bonus.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:32   #10

Good points.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 10:14   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
While it works on entirely different principles, copper coat also gives you a 10 year expected lifespan. I've seen boats get more than 10 years out of it in the Med but they usually get hauled for a variety of reasons multiple times before the 10+ years is up despite the quality of the paint. Saildrive, prop and anode maintenance or retouching of paint after groundings are examples.

My point is that when you do the math, I would not assume you won't haul for 10 years. Probably safest to figure you'll save extra cost of semi-annual paint, labor and related supplies. Anything else will be a bonus.
However, down here in the Caribbean, we have seen some big failures of Coppercoat. A couple of boats we know made it just over 2 seasons before they hauled and sanded off the Coppercoat that wasnt' working. They went back to traditional paint.

Of course we know others that swear by it. Unfortunately for me, the reviews are just too mixed (do a search here) to take that expensive risk.

I'm hoping the silicone based isn't as mixed.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 00:56   #12

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
However, down here in the Caribbean, we have seen some big failures of Coppercoat. A couple of boats we know made it just over 2 seasons before they hauled and sanded off the Coppercoat that wasnt' working. They went back to traditional paint.

Of course we know others that swear by it. Unfortunately for me, the reviews are just too mixed (do a search here) to take that expensive risk.

I'm hoping the silicone based isn't as mixed.
I wasn't suggesting copper coat; only using it as an example. My point stands you will almost certainly haul your boat multiple times over a 10 year span whether or not you need to paint. Calculating savings assuming you won't is risky at best (and assumes you'll keep your boat that long).
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 04:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
I wasn't suggesting copper coat; only using it as an example. My point stands you will almost certainly haul your boat multiple times over a 10 year span whether or not you need to paint. Calculating savings assuming you won't is risky at best (and assumes you'll keep your boat that long).
I feel the same way--leaving a boat in the water for ten years unhauled is asking for trouble in other ways. Most boats have through-hulls that should be inspected every few years--rudder hardware, props, and other underwater fittings can benefit from a dry inspection. Imagine a bow thruster (which are becoming common on more and more small boats), left in the water for a decade!
Still, being able to haul without having to sand and paint will be nice if the stuff works. Wonder how you touch it up, if only certain yards have access?

Tags
anti fouling, paint