Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 08:07   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
I been selling a lot of paint for years and with micron 66 we recommend not cleaning at all, if the boat is sitting for long period of time and you see the bottom is dirty believe me don't worry is not sticking when you start moving your boat...
OK, again this is simply not true and you are doing your clients a disservice by telling them this. As an example, the J/120 pictured below had a Micron 66 bottom this spring, is well maintained and sailed frequently.

These pix were taken when the bottom was 6 or 7 months old. The yard that sold the owner the paint told him exactly what you tell your clients; that Micron 66 doesn't need cleaning. And the owner belived him, until I showed him these photos. Now we clean the boat every two months. I have other photographic examples as well. If you need further proof, I suggets you call an Interlux sales rep and ask him what he thinks about your sales pitch. I guarantee Interlux does not recommend never cleaning this paint.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 08:55   #47

I don't know what happened but is very weird because the color blue of that antifouling is not available in micron 66, tell your friend to call interlux tech support with the batch # to find out if this is true or not he has the right to complain.
i sell Petit, ameron, international, interlux, sea hawk, hempel, jotun, sigma and i know what i'm talking about.

remember that micron 66 is totally diferent to rest of the others AF, make sure you follow the Interlux Compatible chart, the life in the can is 2 Year so make sure the Af is not expired, not thinned or mixing of additives, is not going to perform the way is made for.

I wonder if you know what is the #1 brand of bottom paint for the cruise lines, navy ships, comercial vessels, etc. and why?
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 09:00   #48
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
I don't know what happened but is very weird because the color blue of that antifouling is not available in micron 66
Seriously? Micron 66 is not available in blue? Where are you getting your information? Do have any real-world experience with this product at all? I'm starting to doubt anything you say.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/_general/_...onID=935009436
Old 31-12-2009, 12:05   #49

i mean the blue is lighter, look like micron extra or csc. micron 66 is only available in dark blue

i can send you pictures to show you the difference , but i don't know how to paste it?

yachts painted with both products.
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 01:57   #50
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Im considering Jotun for ships, seems like its very strong stuff- lasts 4-5 years! they sell it in 5 gallon cans and I only need about half that, anyone want to split a can with me? Im in Greece now and will sail to Tunis to do the job -only comes in red
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 20:48   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Jotun is a fine bottom paint but not really any different than all the others. Being European it is not required to list the ingredients on the can. But if you look at the hazardous material shipping documents you will find that it is 44% copper oxide which is just about the same as all the other brands use for colored bottom paints.
- - TBT paints are the best but are ablative which would not be the best choice for the OP and his 10kt plus cruising speed. TBT paints are available anywhere outside North America and Europe. I don't know if the So. Pacific countries have also banned the TBT paints, but most all of the 3rd world countries sell and use it. Beside Islands 44 TBT you can get the Chinese commercial version if you bring your own 5 gal pail to a commercial ship boatyard in So America. The workers will scoop out some from the 55 gal barrels they get from China. Going rate a couple of years ago was about US$95/gal - which is of course put directly into the pockets of the workers.
- - Where you sail - geographically; how fast you sail; and whether you are moving often or static in a marina are the main factors in choosing a bottom paint. Paints that are great in the Pac NW might not be so good in the NE Atlantic coasts and warm waters of the Caribbean and southern US also affect paint selection. Hard paints like Petit Trinidad are great for static marina and warm/hot water sailing. Ablatives are great for boats on the move at lot. Except for the new zinc oxide paints, copper is the only generally legal AF agent around. Just check with a wide selection of boats in your area and you get a consensus of which brand/type works the best in your local waters.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 06:23   #52

Boat: Island Packet 37 - 1996
Has anyone had any experience with Copper Coat? multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul The manufacturer claims it has been used for years in Europe and the Caribbean and boats can get 10 years between haul outs. Sounds too good to be true, but also sounds interesting...
Chuck Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 08:49   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard View Post
Sounds too good to be true...
Bingo.
Old 20-09-2010, 09:16   #54

Talking Copper coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Copper Coat? multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul The manufacturer claims it has been used for years in Europe and the Caribbean and boats can get 10 years between haul outs. Sounds too good to be true, but also sounds interesting...

See posts #19 & #3 same thread ! Update on my post - it is now almost 3 years since my vessel was launched with Copper Coat - hauled her out in April this year and cleaned of very light deposit - used a plastic paint scraper and sheets fell of leaving the original copper sheen. Did not repaint but polished and put her back in the water. So far it looks as though I should have cleaned her of maybe once year - The Copper coat appears to work - will update in 2 year time.
Alan N Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 10:12   #55

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Short Term report on Coppercoat

We put on coppercoat 1 season ago then splashed the boat for a short (1 month) season. On hauling there was NO adhesions to be bottom at all, not even a slime layer.

We are now just 3 1/2 months into our cruise since we launched this season and the last post prompted me to post a in interim report.

I dove on the boat a few days ago and can report that there is literally NOTHING attached to the hull, not even slime. Nothing at the waterline either.

Short test, I know, but so far looking really good. Rumor is that warmer waters may not give the same result. If we make it to the Carribean, I'll report again.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20   #56

Re: Anti-Fouling - Lets Talk About It

So if Micron 66 doesn't work in the Rio dulce, what does one do? We are currently in Curacao. We were contemplating coming to the Rio Dulce to check it out & to get hauled & paint the bottom. What will happen if we use Micron 66 then leave the Sweet Water after a few months???
svrestless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrestless View Post
What will happen if we use Micron 66 then leave the Sweet Water after a few months???
You will have ruined your brand new bottom. Micron 66 cannot withstand more than a couple if weeks in freshwater.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55   #58

Okay, thank you for that money saving information. So what do you recommend??? I suppose we could wait until we are ready to leave the Rio Dulce before we haul, or haul somewhere else. But what if we like it there & stay for an extended time, what do people there use for bottom paint. I have not sailed in fresh water before.

BTW, we have on the bottom of our Cape Dory 40 one gallon of Trinidad applied a year ago while in slings, read a thin coat at that.
svrestless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 13:58   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can't do better than Trinidad, IMHO.

Tags
anti-fouling