Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2009, 15:15   #31

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Adding cayenne pepper is an old sailors tale that does NOT have any benefit to it. Otherwise, Interlux and Petit would have added it to their mix years ago. The sailors that have passed this bogus info down through the years are old salts that use their boats everyday and have very limited and slow growth just from that. Hot peppers do not, in any measurable way, reduce the ability for micro organisms to adhere to a surface. What do you think they do? Go... "OMG!!!11!11 this sh*t is TOOOOO spicy for me ta attach here. Bleccchhh!" Not a chance. Only creatures with tase buds can detect the spicy characteristics of cayenne pepper. That's also why you can keep squirrels from eating suet bird feeders. Squirrels are mammals with taste buds. Birds are not.

Get it?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 01:25   #32

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Can recommend little known but excellent Ameron ABC3 TBT free anti-fouling http://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/mark...WhitePaper.pdf

Have used it for many years in all parts of the Caribbean. The biggest advantage over others though is the price -between $100 & $150/US gallon. Available in the usual blue/black/red colours.

It's widely available in Venezuela & Colombia and from any Comex paint dealer in all the other Central American countries although you often have to get them to order it in specially through the main Mexican office.

Have also found a source in French Saint Martin (Time Out boatyard) offering it at $120/gall. Not bad when it's seen alongside the likes of SeaHawk at $330/gallon, which I wouldn't touch after bad experience when it didn't activate.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 03:40   #33
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Adding cayenne pepper is an old sailors tale that does NOT have any benefit to it. Otherwise, Interlux and Petit would have added it to their mix years ago. The sailors that have passed this bogus info down through the years are old salts that use their boats everyday and have very limited and slow growth just from that. Hot peppers do not, in any measurable way, reduce the ability for micro organisms to adhere to a surface. What do you think they do? Go... "OMG!!!11!11 this sh*t is TOOOOO spicy for me ta attach here. Bleccchhh!" Not a chance. Only creatures with tase buds can detect the spicy characteristics of cayenne pepper. That's also why you can keep squirrels from eating suet bird feeders. Squirrels are mammals with taste buds. Birds are not.

Get it?
Not sure i get it, try wetting you bellyor other senstive place- then rubbing the cayenne on it, then tell me I need a taste but to feel the pain!,(think pepper spray) Im not saying it works or it does not --all I know ive used it every time ive done my botton the last 30+ years - and it does not seem to have a bad effect , so im likly to keep doing it, (learned it from my old salt Dad)
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 04:40   #34

Oh, I'm not saying it has a negative effect, it probably doesn't. But you are still making a mammal out of a crustacean (arthropod).

It would be easy enough to test right in your slip. Paint two things with bottom paint. A board, a pole, a flower pot... anything. One with a generous dose of pepper mixed in and one without. Lower them into the water. Fasten both to the pier and come back in 6 months. (BTW... This is the kind of thing bottom paint companies do everyday.)

Cayenne pepper would be sooooo much cheaper than copper to put into paint. I am quite certain it would be in paint now if there was any validity to the tale.

That's all I'm saying.
Old 21-12-2009, 04:56   #35

Oh... I guess I should add an opinion for the OP.

We just painted the bottom of our trawler last week with West Marine's CPP+. Not sure how well it works yet, but with a friend's WM discount, we got it for $60 per gallon (reg. $119) We put two coats on the bottom and 3 at the waterline. I'll keep y'all posted how it works out. It came highly recommended from another trawler owner that sits still a lot more than goes out boating, however, we mainly used it to save money. Nevertheless, it has become very apparent early in our journey into this hobby/lifestyle that 10 sailors have 11 different opinions. So I'm just going to try it and see what happens.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:45   #36

Boat: Privilege 37
Hmm... Not to argue the effacacy of Cayenne pepper, I don't believe it is an effective antifouling agent. But, I am fairly certain the mammel/taste bud analogy does not hold up. Some points, smear cayenne pepper on you finger and put said finger in your eye. Eat some Cayenne peppers and go to the restroom. I hope I don't have any taste buds in my anterior regions, but I can certainly sense the passing of said residual items. I am certain I could sense the peppers in my eye. Ingest 100% alcohol. It is tasteless, but you'll no doubt be effected by the chemical content. The point being taste doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether a compound will inhibit growth or not.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:31   #37

Nor does it mean that the effects of it has the same reaction across the entire animal kingdom or on every surface it touches. Jellyfish will sting you as long as it touches a point on your skin where hair follicles are, but pick it up with the palm of your hand and you're fine. Just because the capsicum reacts with mucus membranes and epidermis in mammals, doesn't mean that it would have any effect (or is it affect?) of the glue foot part of the barnacle that attaches to the surface in the first place.

I won't hijack this thread any longer. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion. Sorry for the distraction.
Old 21-12-2009, 08:23   #38
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying it has a negative effect, it probably doesn't. But you are still making a mammal out of a crustacean (arthropod).

It would be easy enough to test right in your slip. Paint two things with bottom paint. A board, a pole, a flower pot... anything. One with a generous dose of pepper mixed in and one without. Lower them into the water. Fasten both to the pier and come back in 6 months. (BTW... This is the kind of thing bottom paint companies do everyday.)

Cayenne pepper would be sooooo much cheaper than copper to put into paint. I am quite certain it would be in paint now if there was any validity to the tale.

That's all I'm saying.
Thats a good idea, im gonna try this paint with and with out pepper and chek back in in about a year- this will settel it once and for all!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:24   #39

Which kind of bottom paint is best for prolonged haul out periods
? Thanks chris. I used pettit ultra sr in Florida . I applied 3 coats and it lasted 5 years continuously in the water in cocoa beach with an annual half hr scub down. It could have gone longer but I sold the boat after five years . At haul out the catamArans hull was still quite clean.
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 10:08   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
+1

If it was an effective additive we'd certainly see it in commercially produced anti fouling paints. But we don't.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 12:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
Which kind of bottom paint is best for prolonged haul out periods
? Thanks chris. I used pettit ultra sr in Florida . I applied 3 coats and it lasted 5 years continuously in the water in cocoa beach with an annual half hr scub down. It could have gone longer but I sold the boat after five years . At haul out the catamArans hull was still quite clean.

Define prolonged. Hard epoxy paints must stay in the water or will lose their effectiveness in 6 weeks or so (a number given to me by boatyard owner last month), but ablatives have the ability to sty up for the winter and still work when splashed in the spring. I don't know how long it's capable of staying dry, perhaps forever, but I do know that hard paint - in which Petit Ultra SR is one of, has a very limited ability to be out.
Old 30-12-2009, 15:23   #42

I Have a lot of customers that switch from sea hawk island 44, petit SR; etc to interlux micron 66 and there speed increase, no hull cleaning, save gas and last around 3 years.i sell a lot paints brands but no other product perform like micron 66, i have arround 60 boats with the micron 66, mega yachts, sport fishing boats and a lot of sail boats, everybody is happy with the product.

if you have any question let me know
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:09   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
I Have a lot of customers that switch from sea hawk island 44, petit SR; etc to interlux micron 66 and there speed increase, no hull cleaning, save gas and last around 3 years.i sell a lot paints brands but no other product perform like micron 66, i have arround 60 boats with the micron 66, mega yachts, sport fishing boats and a lot of sail boats, everybody is happy with the product.

if you have any question let me know
While Micron 66 is a quality anti fouling paint, it is simply untrue that it does not need to be cleaned. Particularly on sailboats.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 04:57   #44

with the new technology of antifoulings if you mixed with additive or thinner the are gone, you get them out of balance of there chemical reaction, don't mixed!! the only thing we recommend is use a good roller and stir at least for 5 minutes the antifouling before starting to apply and then follow the TDS, because is very important the overcoating time, flood time and also the relative hummidity, here in panama we recomend to start applying after 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Old 31-12-2009, 05:07   #45

You can get the best paint but if you don't follow the TDS is not going to perform like they used to be. Is very important to follow the manufactured recommendation and the most critical thing is surface preparation.

I been selling a lot of paint for years and with micron 66 we recommend not cleaning at all, if the boat is sitting for long period of time and you see the bottom is dirty believe me don't worry is not sticking when you start moving your boat is history, but if you want the boat looking good in the dock just rubbed gently with a rag and thats it.

Tags
anti-fouling