Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2014, 04:55   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Anti foul remover

There is a new product called DeFoul, has anyone trialled it?

Also, has anyone had any good success in removing anti foul using paint stripper?

Old 28-05-2014, 05:44   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Anti foul remover

I used a soy-based stripper for about 1/2 the hull when I decided to take off ~30 years of buildup on our previous 34 footer. The stripper certainly softened the thick, hard layers of antifoul, and turned it into a mucky toxic slurry. It was easy to remove, but difficult to apply since it the stripper had to be covered with plastic wrap (to keep it from drying out). It was also hellishly messy. In the end I still had to do a final sanding to get the last thin layers right off (I was going right back to the gelcoat).

On the second half of the boat I just used a large paint scrapper to take off the outer layers. Then I finished the job, once again, with an orbital sander.

I preferred the second method. Both were physically demanding, but the cleanup was far easier keeping things dry.

Old 28-05-2014, 06:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I used a soy-based stripper for about 1/2 the hull when I decided to take off ~30 years of buildup on our previous 34 footer. The stripper certainly softened the thick, hard layers of antifoul, and turned it into a mucky toxic slurry. It was easy to remove, but difficult to apply since it the stripper had to be covered with plastic wrap (to keep it from drying out). It was also hellishly messy. In the end I still had to do a final sanding to get the last thin layers right off (I was going right back to the gelcoat).

On the second half of the boat I just used a large paint scrapper to take off the outer layers. Then I finished the job, once again, with an orbital sander.

I preferred the second method. Both were physically demanding, but the cleanup was far easier keeping things dry.
I've not started at all yet. But I tried 'playing' with a scraper and couldn't get any of it to budge.
Old 28-05-2014, 06:07   #4
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I took my transom-hung rudder home and tried the soy-strip on it there. I agree, very messy. I did the rest of the boat with a scraper. Fortunately, it was ablative paint and came off easily. This was in the spring of 2009. I am going to do it again now, as it is going up for sale and it looks so nice with a smooth bottom. Same ablative, and it does chip off easily after a winter on the hard.
Old 28-05-2014, 06:23   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I've not started at all yet. But I tried 'playing' with a scraper and couldn't get any of it to budge.
Is it ablative or a hard paint? Mine was covered in layers of ablative. I found that using a large sharp scraper took the paint off in big flaky chunks. You do have to be fairly aggressive, but once it starts to come off it went fairly easily. I'm not sure how a scrapper would work with layers of hard paint, especially epoxy-based ones.
Old 29-05-2014, 04:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Is it ablative or a hard paint? Mine was covered in layers of ablative. I found that using a large sharp scraper took the paint off in big flaky chunks. You do have to be fairly aggressive, but once it starts to come off it went fairly easily. I'm not sure how a scrapper would work with layers of hard paint, especially epoxy-based ones.
Last three years ablative , but prior to that I don't know.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:44   #7
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Haven't used DeFoul but I did use a sodium hydroxide (caustic soda / lye) based product that was quite effective in removing decades of antifoul some years back.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 07:20   #8

Boat: 12M Steel VanDeStadt Cutter

The fastest way and I guess the most expensive way to remove antifouling is by soda blasting . My experience with ablative paints is that when it dries it goes rock hard and nothing will move it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: