Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 04:55   #1
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Anti foul remover

There is a new product called DeFoul, has anyone trialled it?

Also, has anyone had any good success in removing anti foul using paint stripper?
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 05:44   #2
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Re: Anti foul remover

I used a soy-based stripper for about 1/2 the hull when I decided to take off ~30 years of buildup on our previous 34 footer. The stripper certainly softened the thick, hard layers of antifoul, and turned it into a mucky toxic slurry. It was easy to remove, but difficult to apply since it the stripper had to be covered with plastic wrap (to keep it from drying out). It was also hellishly messy. In the end I still had to do a final sanding to get the last thin layers right off (I was going right back to the gelcoat).

On the second half of the boat I just used a large paint scrapper to take off the outer layers. Then I finished the job, once again, with an orbital sander.

I preferred the second method. Both were physically demanding, but the cleanup was far easier keeping things dry.
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:02   #3
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Anti foul remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I used a soy-based stripper for about 1/2 the hull when I decided to take off ~30 years of buildup on our previous 34 footer. The stripper certainly softened the thick, hard layers of antifoul, and turned it into a mucky toxic slurry. It was easy to remove, but difficult to apply since it the stripper had to be covered with plastic wrap (to keep it from drying out). It was also hellishly messy. In the end I still had to do a final sanding to get the last thin layers right off (I was going right back to the gelcoat).

On the second half of the boat I just used a large paint scrapper to take off the outer layers. Then I finished the job, once again, with an orbital sander.

I preferred the second method. Both were physically demanding, but the cleanup was far easier keeping things dry.
I've not started at all yet. But I tried 'playing' with a scraper and couldn't get any of it to budge.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:07   #4
senior windbag
 
Cuttyhunk's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: northeast USA
Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Posts: 373
Re: Anti foul remover

I took my transom-hung rudder home and tried the soy-strip on it there. I agree, very messy. I did the rest of the boat with a scraper. Fortunately, it was ablative paint and came off easily. This was in the spring of 2009. I am going to do it again now, as it is going up for sale and it looks so nice with a smooth bottom. Same ablative, and it does chip off easily after a winter on the hard.
__________________
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:23   #5
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Re: Anti foul remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I've not started at all yet. But I tried 'playing' with a scraper and couldn't get any of it to budge.
Is it ablative or a hard paint? Mine was covered in layers of ablative. I found that using a large sharp scraper took the paint off in big flaky chunks. You do have to be fairly aggressive, but once it starts to come off it went fairly easily. I'm not sure how a scrapper would work with layers of hard paint, especially epoxy-based ones.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 04:23   #6
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Anti foul remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Is it ablative or a hard paint? Mine was covered in layers of ablative. I found that using a large sharp scraper took the paint off in big flaky chunks. You do have to be fairly aggressive, but once it starts to come off it went fairly easily. I'm not sure how a scrapper would work with layers of hard paint, especially epoxy-based ones.
Last three years ablative , but prior to that I don't know.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 05:44   #7
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Anti foul remover

Haven't used DeFoul but I did use a sodium hydroxide (caustic soda / lye) based product that was quite effective in removing decades of antifoul some years back.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 07:20   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: 12M Steel VanDeStadt Cutter
Posts: 11
Re: Anti foul remover

The fastest way and I guess the most expensive way to remove antifouling is by soda blasting . My experience with ablative paints is that when it dries it goes rock hard and nothing will move it.
__________________

__________________
C-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anti-Foul Painting Question Panamajames Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 11-07-2012 11:48
DeFoul Anti Fouling Paint Remover DRS Construction, Maintenance & Refit 18 13-06-2011 02:16
Ferro Anti-Foul Jdiamond Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 06-08-2010 20:40



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.