Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17   #1

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Anchor Light

For years I've used a GM sidelight bulb in a salt shaker as an anchor light. It served the purpose and the draw was 0.23 amps. I must admit it was rather dim though.

This season I finally got a better light. It is an LED anchor light. Very tiny, the led's are set in a 1 inch pvc pipe end cap. I stuck an 8 inch length of pvc to it to protect the very thin wires. The light is so bright that it's unbelievable. And the draw is so little it doesn't even register on my Victron battery monitor. I have thought of the Davis anchor light over the years but it wasn't that great and very expensive. The Owl Light from Bebi Electronics is under $40 shipping and everything.

It's made by Bebi Electronics in Fiji.
Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
And the best, the Bebi anchor lights are also available with a light sensing unit. Will be ordering one of those shortly to replace a different LED light sensing one I dropped on deck and the bulb broke.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Any white 360 degree light for vessels under 50 meters that is 2 miles or greater will meet the COLREG's requirements as an anchor light.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule22

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:01   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Any white 360 degree light for vessels under 50 meters that is 2 miles or greater will meet the COLREG's requirements as an anchor light.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule22
Yes, but my main concern is what power it consumes. This little Bebi sucker draws .09 amps. I can have it on for ten hours with less than 1 amp consumed. I think my salt shaker met the regs, but you had to have good eyes to see it.
and ten hours would have been about 2.5 amps.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:25   #5

Boat: 50' sloop
Hi - we're looking for a new reliable bow light.

We've had a single unit which houses both starboard and port lights on the bow for about five years.
It is installed atop the small wooden "step/seat" between the railings above the anchors. (Original bow-light was
installed beneath the step/seat and became in-op after five years of service.

The present light works intermittently and has been tormenting us for about six months, working for hundreds of miles on the water then suddenly loosing illumination with a wave on occasion, then fully operating again a few minutes later, etc. We've attempted to find it's fault - clean the housing (inside and out) connection, resealing the unit, and checking wiring, etc. Everything has been done to assist this light in operating appropriately. Enough is enough.

We need a sturdier better made light that can take the punishment inflicted on the bow of a heavy displacement boat that enjoys cruising in 15 - 25 knot winds!

In looking at the Bebi homepage, it doesn't appear they offer anything we can use.

Anyone have another recommendation for a big sturdy lights that are subject to wave action on
the bow?

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Sailing Mermaid

PS: Should this be in a new thread and where should it be located? I scoped through several sections of CF before finding this thread. Again, thanks for assistance.
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:53   #6

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Anchor Light

I bought a white LED BA15d bulb and put in a Perko fixture with a frosted lens. I mounted that atop six feet of 3/4 PVC tubing. I haul it up and down with some 3/16 poly-nylon line from Home Depot. Seems pretty bright.

This is a temporary fix for the season. I hope to take the mast down this fall to check the mast head, antenna, and the head fly. The low current draw allows me to use 16ga wire.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 13:30   #7

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
Re: Anchor Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Mermaid View Post
Hi - we're looking for a new reliable bow light.

I have there combination tri color and anchor light but LOPO light seams to make a very nice sturdy unit but they are expensive.
Jerry
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor