Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2009, 08:58   #1

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave6330
Thumbs up Alaskan Delivery Testimonial

To whom it may concern,
BOTTOM LINE: I would heartily recommend Jesse Osborne to ANYONE needing an absolutely reliable, trustworthy and rock solid delivery skipper. However, Jesse’s real strength is in his ability to pass along his knowledge, experience and spirit in helping folks realize their capability to experience their own “taste of adventure”.
By way of background, my wife and I recently purchased a used sailboat in Olympia, Washington and were in the process of having her delivered to Seward, Alaska when our first delivery skipper quit on us after getting the boat as far as Juneau, Alaska. His unexpected departure left us in quite a predicament. We needed to complete the delivery over the final and most difficult leg of her journey (across the Gulf of Alaska). Crossing the Gulf represents over 400 miles of open ocean, known for quickly changing weather and notoriously dangerous, rough conditions. In short, we needed to hire a new delivery skipper and he needed to be a good one!
In August of 2009 we were corresponding with Deborah Altermatt of Sailing Inc. (a yacht brokerage in Seward Alaska) about our situation. Happily, she put us in contact with Mr. Jesse Osborne, operating under the trade name of “A Taste of Adventure”. At the time, Jesse was in the process of moving his own sailboat from Ketchikan to Seward but he took the time to call us and discuss our situation.
After meeting with Jesse we were very impressed with him and agreed to have him deliver our ‘baby’ from Juneau to Seward. However, Jesse’s goal is to be more than simply a delivery skipper. He agreed to take us along to assist him with the delivery. He insisted that our relationship for the crossing would not be as skipper and crew, but that we would partner in the preparation and execution of the crossing. It turned out that, under Jesse’s mentorship, the trip from Juneau to Seward evolved from a mere logistical exercise into a true sailing adventure for both my wife and I. We learned more about cruising under sail, the particular systems on our boat, and ourselves than we ever imagined possible.
I absolutely cannot overstate the satisfaction we had working with Jesse as he quickly assessed the condition of our vessel and our level of experience, initiated on-board repairs, advised us on provisioning and generally readied both the vessel and us for the trip across the Gulf. Jesse demonstrated a depth of knowledge and experience that he willingly shared with us during our time together. His unsinkable sense of humor, self confidence and genuine spirit of adventure carried us through two arctic gales, mechanical issues, and our first exposure to standing watch 24 hours a day on an extended cruise.
Jesse Osborne is one of the most remarkable young men I’ve ever met and our adventure this Summer will remain a highlight of my sailing experience.
Sincerely,
David Allen owner S/V Polaris
Dave6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:18   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It's not often in any trade these days. Do you find someone so committed, and a treat to be around. Hopefully Jesse will find work through your kind words........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:57   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Its so nice to hear a good news story.
Sounds like an adventure too.
Old 25-09-2009, 11:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the appraisal, Dave.
One of my most prized possessions, when I was working boats, was my card file of competent people.

So, which is it: s/v "Polaris" or "Cirrus"? Please don't tell this boatless "CLOD" that you have two boats.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 14:08   #5

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave6330
Arrgh!!!! I forgot to edit the automatic signature option. It's POLARIS now. Sorry about any confusion.

Done now.

Respectfully.
Dave6330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska