Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 22:53   #16

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Air X silent Wind Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligansail View Post
I have owned a Silentwind 400 for 8 months now. The product is ok. I donít think itís too noisy and the power out put us ok. Like other wind generators I guess

The customer service however is horrible. It can take up to 1 week to get an email reply from Edgar the tech support guy. It too over 6 weeks for me to receive a replacement blade. And I have an odd problem.
While the batteries are charged up by the engine the controller for the Silentwind appropriately switches to brake or unload mode. But afterwards it wonít switch back to normal mode and start running again. You can see in the attachment that itís in unload while the voltage is12.6. It set with absorption up to 13.4, so should be running. In order to get it to run again I have put a large draw in the circuit, my water heater, for 2-3 seconds. Then it switches to normal mode and runs again
Iíve had this trouble since my initial installation 8 months ago and I have not received any help to solve the problem. I was told that they would do bench testing and never heard feedback from that. Otherwise Iíve just been told it should work normally. After multiple attempts Iíve just given up on getting help from them
Stefan

The particular issue you have might be better discussed in a separate thread. As a quick note, it might not be a faulty system but just the way it works. There is a threshold programmed in to most charge controllers to decide when to go back into bulk mode, which I think i what you call "normal". The wind gen only "sees" the bus voltage, if it's high enough it thinks the batts are full, all is good and it might wait until the voltage drops below that setpoint.

If it's always going back to "normal" mode the way you might expect it to, it could instead boil and hence damage your batts in short order.
It's similar to other charge controllers, where the manufacturer needs to define at what point we need to go back into bulk charging as opposed to keeping the system at float voltage.

Old 21-02-2019, 23:19   #17

Boat: 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran

Air X wind generators are excellent and they have a new carbon fibre "blue blade" upgrade which is being marketed as much more quiet. Highly recommend.

Old 22-02-2019, 07:21   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Spreco has been making the famous ďblue bladesĒ as retrofits for all Air-type wind gens for decades now. About 10 years ago they started to design and sell their own wind gen, which is the Silentwind.

It sounds like these ďsilentĒ Air-x gens are just standard Air-x, but being sold with the Spreco blue blades.

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator