Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 15:57   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Advice on installing pad eyes.

Hi all,
I have just purchased 2 pad eyes to attach a tether and safety harness. https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...ers-29409.html
The only question I have at the moment is where on the boat is the best place to put them. My boat is an Albin Vega 27ft. I have looked around my local marina to find some examples of placement but have found none. Is the best place up high, down low, in the middle of the cockpit? I can think of both good and bad reasons regarding placement. Any seasoned advice and reasoning would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Cheers.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:04   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Advice on installing pad eyes.

I've seen them, one, on the centerline, just below the lip of the bridge deck. Real toe thumper on the cockpit sole. Also have seen a pair, each side of the companionway. Use a backing plate.

Ann
Old 23-03-2016, 16:05   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

On my Vega, a single padeye was installed in the centre of the bridge (under the hatch). Worked well. You could also mount them on the cabin top either side of the companion way as an alternate, too.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If near the companionway, like Ann said, then you can clip in before climbing out of the cabin. Make sure your leash is long enough that you can sit comfortably at the helm and reach everything (sheets, engine throttle, etc) easily without having to strain against it.

Ben
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:22   #5

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Hiya Tim;

Curious, as I'm going through the same mental hook-in as you seem to be. My 'pit dimensions may be a bit off from yours; but close enuff mebbbez?

*IF* I place a pad eye centered in the companionway, down low on the step-over; with a 6' (+/-) tether, I can sit anywhere in the 'pit and Probably) make it down the ladder. Holding onto the hatch/rails, I can un-tether and re-hook up on deck (somehow? TBD).

I plan to somehow fashion "toe hole" deep enough to shield toes from the eye and have room for backers and bolts.
At the point I will tether in the 'pit, my beam is near 8'-6"+. . diagonally up the line to thcoming is 50"+ and another12 or 14 inches back down ttoe rail. That's 62" out o72"tether....at CPA to the rail with only a few or 10" to hang from . Should do it!
Thats the plan , at least

hth,
paul
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:36   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The object of a tether/harness is not to go overboard. So placement should be so you can not go overboard. But with just padeyes your only movement would be in that area.

Plan on going for a rough ride?

In addition the the jacklines, one thing I keep on board with my tether is REI loops (rock climbing gear). I can wrap them around anything, choke or sling, (rails, arch, fittings, mast, etc) and clip on to the loop where ever I am.
Old 23-03-2016, 17:26   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

In our boat there is no padeye but a super duper fitting attached to the beam supporting the traveler. The beam is 1 inch teak the bolts holding the fitting are 12 mm SS and the nuts are supported by a 4 mm SS backing plate ...

About the only way to remove the fitting is to crush the boat. I think the leash would snap first.

Anyways: our fitting is just ahead of the tiller, center of the cockpit, roughly at the seat level. Get another fitting close to the washboards if you like to sit there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 18:36   #8

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

delmarrey;

great idea on the loops/dog bones.
thanks
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:31   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Low and near the centerline at the companionway is a great start on a boat that size. Ensure that you have a strong backing plate of suitable size (area) to distribute shock loads on the boat end. Then ensure that you have a suitable harness or life jacket with built in harness that will reasonably distribute the same shock loads across your body that occur from the types of sudden forceful movements that are likely to cause someone to fall overboard.

Recent field studies in the UK demonstrate the .8m tether is more survivable than the 1.5m tether (as you wont dangle so far over the boat that your head gets dragged and you drown from that), so there is an argument for multiple padeyes in any given cockpit environment. We currently have three in ours.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:32   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I prefer the Wichard pad-eyes that will fold flat when you do not need them so that means you are less likely to thump your toes or bruise yr ankles against them.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:38   #11

I had a big SS U bolt on the vertical cockpit wall at the bridge deck. You could reach it from the ladder... barely.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:12   #12

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If near the companionway, like Ann said, then you can clip in before climbing out of the cabin. Make sure your leash is long enough that you can sit comfortably at the helm and reach everything (sheets, engine throttle, etc) easily without having to strain against it.

Ben
My39 year old 38 footer cam with no place to hook on while in the cockpit, I installed one where Ann and Ben favored and a second at the helm. I have 2 clips on my harness so I would use the companionway padeye as a transit point. With respect to safety at sea, there i no replacement from a well secured hjack line running from at least the cockpit and reaching to the bow pulpit. there i no telling when and under what circumstances you may need to go forward in a very unpleasant sea.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:18   #13

MOST IMPORTANT tether, harness has two hooks on two lines, should be so short that you CANNOT fall off over the lifelines.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ocean racing rules require that there be a tether connection point near the companionway such that you are able to clip on before entering the cockpit. This is a good idea. On my boat we have two padeyes on the coachroof near the companionway, and four more in the cockpit (two forward, and two aft).

I'm a big believer in short tethers. I suspect that they have saved my crewmember's lives on one occasion when a large wave washed through the cockpit and tried to push two crew through the lifelines.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:15   #15

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
MOST IMPORTANT tether, harness has two hooks on two lines, should be so short that you CANNOT fall off over the lifelines.
Yup!! That's what I meant when I said I had 2 hooks on my harness
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote