Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 06:26   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Advice Before I Buy

Hello All,

I am about to buy alot of new electronics for my boat and would like some advice to save money.

Here is a list of things I want to buy:

1. Chartplotter
2. Autohelm
3. Masthead Wind Station
4. Radar

A friend has the Raymarine A-50 Chartplotter with the SmartPilot X-5 Wheel autopilot and the ST60 Plus Wind System.

I like the system and how it all hooks together but I would also like to have Radar.

the cost for the above system was;

1. Chartplotter $ 1,ooo
2. Autohelm $ 1,000
3. Masthead Wind Station $ 600

That is if i remember right. anyway it is close to the cost.

My question is I am sure it is cheaper to buy things like this in a package deal. But when I looked up the specs on the A-50 there is no Radar hookup so I then looked at the C-70 that has everything but I did not see any Nav charts.

I would love to keep the cost below $5,000 for the system if i can.

I would like some ideas/input on what way to go.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 06:56   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Dutch,

Are these used pieces ? Are you planning on installing everything yourself? Wiring etc?

Without getting into specific configurations there are so many.

My first thought is that your budget might be a little low.

How will you mount your radar? Masthead, Pole mount or Backstay? The mounts alone can run you a few hundred to a $1,000.

How will you mount your Chartplotter? Helm? will your existing pedestal guard accomodate the plotter...will you need a navpod? Two possible additional purchases.

How will you power these devices, do you have sufficient room on your panel? Will you need a sub panal, fuse block?

Other's can weigh in on the merits of individual components, I just want to make sure you have ALL the pieces on the list that you'll need to consider.
Old 13-12-2009, 08:12   #3

The prices Are new and I beleive they charged him $300 to install them.

As for Mounting and installation I could do it myself, I havent really thought about where I would install the Radar yet but I guess on the Mast.

The Helm has all the room I need to install both the Chartplotter and Autohelm,
The power needs are not a problem because I have a new 360 panel that I am installing also.

I did price out the C-70 Radar system at MSRP: $1,455.00 U.S. Dollars, but do not see that any Nav charts come with the system or the GPS.

The Autohelm cost just under $1,000
The GPS is $350
The Wind system is $500
Each of these come with everything needed to install, so the only question is the Chartplotter/display and Radar. If i go with the A50 I know it comes with all the charts for $1000 but would not have the option of Radar.

If I go with the C70 & RD218 2kW Radar Package for $1,900 I do not see it coming with the Charts.

As I am writing this I quess I need to find out the cost of the Chart chips and it would answer my question.

Dutch
Old 23-12-2009, 11:52   #4

hello

i have here for sell new not used c70 rd218 2kw radar package with gps ant r125 and sea map for 3829 $canadian if you allready got the gps antenna its 3322 + transport no handle charge it come with all needed
part for instalation and we give you all instruction you need if ever you have probleme

good bye
jonathan methot
mysterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 12:38   #5

Thank you very much Jonathan but if I am not misunderstanding it, this is the same package less the chart that sells at West Marine for $1,800 USD.
Old 23-12-2009, 13:16   #6

Boat: Island Packet 349
Navionics Gold charts for C-series chartplotters cost $200 for a region. They are not included with chartplotters. You may need to get more than one region depending on your cruising destinations. Navionics web site is helpful in deciding it.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 13:38   #7

Thank you Lost,

Yes I knew this and that is why I have desided to buy both the A-50 Chartplotter that comes with all the charts preloaded and the C-70 package that comes with Radar.

Total cost is around $2,800 unless I can find a sale going on.

Dutch
Old 24-12-2009, 07:46   #8

yes it is the same west marine put it at 200$ off i tink its a very good compagnie we bought many stuff from them always glad to deal whit them but i tink in there package they dont give you gps antenna they sell it around 299$ c70 need nmea signal from gps antenna make sure you have one or if not would be good for you to get one
mysterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 08:00   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have a look At Furuno and Garmin before you settle on Raymarine. Raymarine might be going out of business.

The out of your state, online retailers will give you the best prices.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 08:01   #10

Boat: Island Packet 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
I have desided to buy both the A-50 Chartplotter that comes with all the charts preloaded and the C-70 package that comes with Radar.
If you are buying A-50 for the sake of redundancy you still need to buy charts for C-70. Otherwise, $200 for a chart card seems more economically sound than $900 or so for A-50 that has limited charts coverage and resolution (they suggest adding optional Gold or Platinum charts to A-50 to improve those, probably for a reason). Even if you need two charts for the C-series, for example East coast and Gulf of Mexico, it is still more economical than getting an A-50 in addition to the C-70.

Now, the A-50 (or A-70) version with "the rest of the world charts" may be an interesting opton; I wonder how detailed those charts are.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote