Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 14:14   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Adding Spars Spreaders to Schooner

Easiest way to measure height is to put a loop on the end of a survayors tape and haul it with the halyard. If you want an exact match to an existing sail (say to the black stripe on a one design boat) then hoist the sail to where you want it, mark the halyard and hoist the tape to the same point. Remember to measure the distance from the halyard snap to the 0 mark on the tape and add it to the final measurement.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Might also be worth looking at Morroco. Not been but heard tell they still build a lot of wooden boats and prices are cheap
(Gov't Intel 22 Mar 2015) The government's success against the ISIL cell is important, but ominous. The raids showed that ISIL sympathizers exist in all the major towns of Morocco. The weapons seizures show that the ISIL cell was moving beyond local recruitment and into an operational phase. That would be a first in Morocco.

According to official figures, between 1,500 and 2,000 Moroccans are fighting or have fought alongside jihadists in Iraq and Syria as well as in Libya. Some might have returned to Morocco.

I'm not about to have any work done on my brand new-to-me schooner in Morocco.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 10:19   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
(Gov't Intel 22 Mar 2015) The government's success against the ISIL cell is important, but ominous. The raids showed that ISIL sympathizers exist in all the major towns of Morocco. The weapons seizures show that the ISIL cell was moving beyond local recruitment and into an operational phase. That would be a first in Morocco.

According to official figures, between 1,500 and 2,000 Moroccans are fighting or have fought alongside jihadists in Iraq and Syria as well as in Libya. Some might have returned to Morocco.

I'm not about to have any work done on my brand new-to-me schooner in Morocco.
Very sad, I have been in Canada since 2011 so the middle east is now rather distant and did not realize the social unrest had moved that far and you are in a much better position to assess security. On the other hand there are Canadians who have joined the 'other side', should I then not deal with Canada?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 10:44   #19

Boat: Scout 30

As for Scout 30, I'm still under wraps about the boat for fear of 'deal poachers.'

I can tell you, at age 10 I was sailing since I was age nine on a family owned boat of wood and all our boats were wood, over 100 years old. We won races, and won races, and won races - had fun learned a lot about sea sickness; and generally I longed to own a schooner.

[/QUOTE]

Probably not much to worry about there. Schooners, at least in the Us, are not really hot commodities. In fact most of the schooners in Maine are for sale. Truly a shame. They are the most beautiful boats in the world.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:08   #20

[/QUOTE]

Probably not much to worry about there. Schooners, at least in the Us, are not really hot commodities. In fact most of the schooners in Maine are for sale. Truly a shame. They are the most beautiful boats in the world.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know about the schooners in Maine. Most you say? Hmmmm. I'm plannin' to birth in Main, winters in the Caribe.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote