Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 12:54   #31

Re: Active Captain Preaching?

Active Captain IS their personal blog, boat site. I think they might have to raise some revenue to support this project and I am just really glad AC is there as it is a wonderful resource.
schuitema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 10:12   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think the problem is not that you asked the question as much as you asked the question to a bunch of landbound sailors who use AC to fantasize where they are sailing in spring. Don't mess with our toyz!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 02:10   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Have you recovered yet, Newt? I seem to recall you got pretty banged up, enough to preclude sailing.

I don't use AC. I use, in a limited sense, OpenCPN, because I want limited charting and it's very nearly at the "pro" level. I haven't ruled out AC and remain "aware of it", but I have to say that if something that takes years to code, test/QA and update is freely given, getting a email with unsolicited but on topic opinions is really no price to pay at all.

I mean, I get the deal: We beta-test their software and in essence submit a horde of bug reports in return for a free, cleaned-up version. It's crowd-sourcing at its finest, but I'm under no illusions that the ultimate goal is to create a product that can be sold. It seems fair to me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:51   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Alchemy! Yeah I am sewing and starting to weld again. Can't wait to get on the water. I use AC as a guidebook, and to help plan my next adventure. What do the rest of you use it for?
Of course I consult sail flow, NOAA and my own eyes when the time comes to leave the dock. But it is a great planning /dreaming tool. Esp. when there is two feet of snow outside.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:42   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
.... I use AC as a guidebook, and to help plan my next adventure. What do the rest of you use it for?
We use AC whenever we plan/make a trip. While published crusing guides to south Florida have a lot of information it is not always up-to-date and I really prefer reading comments by other folks that have used various anchorages et al in the course of their own trips. The anchorage information is also worth while as to spots that only locals would otherwise know about that do not appear in many/most guide books. We also try to contribute to the extent we can on locations and resources we know about in our own area.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:35   #36
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The secret of long life is having a Positive Attitude and Seeing The Glass Half Full.

Never worry about thinks you have no control of.
Fixed that for you:
Attached Images

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:41   #37

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I have no first hand knowledge of AC - but I have an opinion nonetheless!
You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but you are missing out. ActiveCaptain (AC) is making a real push to present data globally. That means people need to post markers and reviews. That was the genesis of the partnership between AC and the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA). Our cruising members worldwide are asked to start populating the database beyond US shores.

So go ahead and look around. Check somewhere like Chesapeake Bay or the Bahamas to see the potential and then start filling in information for places you know about. Some cruisers are more likely to add to an existing marker than create one of their own, so every one you add is a real contribution to the cruising community.

Besides you get points for markers and reviews. You get enough points and they send you a free hat. Most of what AC does is ashore: servers and all that. Not the hats. The hats are bagged and boxed under the v-berth on aCappella and Jeff and Karen post each one themselves. I know they will be thrilled to ship a hat to a contributor outside the US. I'm not sure they have yet. I'll ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I mean, I get the deal: We beta-test their software and in essence submit a horde of bug reports in return for a free, cleaned-up version. It's crowd-sourcing at its finest, but I'm under no illusions that the ultimate goal is to create a product that can be sold. It seems fair to me.
Jeff & Karen's model is different. They unquestionably see the boater and cruiser as their customer. They have come up with a way for marinas and marine industries to provide a revenue stream without reducing the value proposition to their cruising customers. It's brilliant. I wish I had that idea.

Disclaimer 1: Jeff and Karen have become friends as a result of AC.
Disclaimer 2: I am currently SSCA President.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, I didn't know we had the SSCA infiltrating our ranks. I would have joined a long time ago, but it cost $$. I guess there is some value in the cheap seats....
Now about those used charts that are for trade
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01   #39

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know we had the SSCA infiltrating our ranks. I would have joined a long time ago, but it cost $$. I guess there is some value in the cheap seats....
Infiltrated? INFILTRATED? Wow. I've been here a long time. My membership and activity at SSCA simply hasn't been relevant before.

I'm just a cruiser like most others here. SSCA members are cruisers - that's what we are for.

$$? $55/year. If we don't add value to your cruising don't join. Regardless, tell me why you don't think we, as an organization, don't provide that much value. I'd really like to know.

We're off topic here, so PM me an e-mail address and I'll be more than happy to correspond with you.

regards, dave
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35   #40

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

If you havent used AC, I think you're missing out. Arguing over a free site, isnt that the proverbial looking a gift gift horse in the mouth? Still waiting for Will and Jeff to do whatever it is thats got to be done to get AC integrated into MXMariner...
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49   #41

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
$$? $55/year. If we don't add value to your cruising don't join. Regardless, tell me why you don't think we, as an organization, don't provide that much value. I'd really like to know.
SSCA is a fabulous organization - a cruisers best friend. I think I'll start an SSCA thread so we don't walk on this one.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24   #42

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Membership fee, $55/annum. BS Coefficient of Zero on the web site, Priceless!!!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37   #43

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Wow de dow!! what was it Shakespeare said?:"Much ado about nothing." or somethin' like it. We still love you tree!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
SSCA is a fabulous organization - a cruisers best friend. I think I'll start an SSCA thread so we don't walk on this one.
That's nice to hear.

I haven't seen an SSCA thread and I feel a little awkward about starting one myself.

SSCA has an educational program called Seven Seas U ( Seven Seas U ) that produces webinars. There is a FREE one tomorrow night, Tue 5 Feb at 8.00 pm US ET, on getting the most from SSCA membership. If time zones or other commitments preclude attendance you can register and get a recording.

Mods - let me know if this is okay to post about.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dave- I apologize if I have offended you or any other SCCA members. The real reason I have not joined is I have not left the dock completely. Alas, I will not be Tuesday till late. Still making freedom chips...

Tags
captain