Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 12:08   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Achilles Inflatable Repair

I recently acquired an Achilles dingy which has a slow leak from a previous patch repair job. I was looking on ebay and found this: Tear Aid Inflatable PVC Vinyl Hole Repair Patch Type B | eBay

Can someone tell me if this works and if not, what should I use to repair the patch. Thanks
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 23:26   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37
Re: Achilles Inflatable Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
I recently acquired an Achilles dingy which has a slow leak from a previous patch repair job. I was looking on ebay and found this: Tear Aid Inflatable PVC Vinyl Hole Repair Patch Type B | eBay

Can someone tell me if this works and if not, what should I use to repair the patch. Thanks
My Achilles is made of Hypalon and not PVC.

If yours is made of Hypalon I would suggest another approach.

I normally use the Stabond 2 part adhesive and a repair patch of Hypalon of the appropriate size (probably ~2 inches greater diameter then the hole/leak).

Mark the area the patch, clean both surfaces preferably with MEK is difficult to find these days. Acetone will also work. Sand both surfaces with something like 40 - 60 grit sandpaper to rough up the surfaces. Clean again with acetone or MEK. Apply adhesive to both surfaces and let dry without bonding the two surfaces together. Apply second coat of adhesive and wait a few minutes until both get very tacky to the touch. Apply patch to dinghy surface. Work out any bubbles beneath the patch. Let fully dry for 24 hours before use.

Downwind Marine has the Stabond. They made have a kit of Hypalon patches.
I believe West Marine has kits of the Hypalon patches but do not stock Stabond but include a single part adhesive in the kit of patches.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34   #3

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

Thanks for the reply. I'll order on line. Appreciate your help.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39   #4

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Defender also has the hypalon repair kits... LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 17:42   #5

I have a small hole in my Hypalon. I have all the material to do the repair. But the kit got wet and I can't read the instructions. The previous posts here totally help but I have one more question. I am currently out in the Bahamas out islands. Nowhere to put the dinghy in a controlled place other than hanging on the davits.

Do I need to get all the air out of the tube before repairing it?

Will any leaking air make the glue/patch not stick? Or make a "bubble" underneath with less repair strength?

And if I have to deflate it how long do I have to wait to re-inflate?

Thanks

-Kevin
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 18:13   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Clean it, sand it, glue it. Some air in the tube will help. Make sure your sanded area is greater than your patch and let the adhesive on both surfaces go tack free before patching. Adhesive on both surfaces. Work the patch from the inside out. Wait 24 hours if you can before using.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 00:36   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Holes you can just slap a patch on, big cuts are more difficult. Normally, they require a patch on the inside as well as the outside. ....And I have yet to figure out how you can sew the slit closed, and get your hand out, and finish sticking the inside patch on. You do the best you can and hope for the best. The repair Jim did that way in Taiohae, Nuku Hiva, lasted at least 6 yrs in our old hypalon Achilles dinghy.

If the OP's dinghy is pvc, the adhesives are different, but the basic techniques are similar.

Ann

Tags
inflatable