Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
A proper fuel dispensing container

Finally! I, like a lot of you, have been fed up with those new Blitz gas cans legislated into existence by some states supposedly to prevent fuel spills and unnecessary venting. They just don't work. It is virtually impossible to use a legally full container, assemble the spout, and dispense fuel without spilling or getting your hands contaminated with fuel. They are worse than the old style with individual screw-off vents and spigots.

I bought two Smart-FILL plastic fuel "cans" made by Briggs & Stratton. To be sure they are not cheap. I paid $24 ea. off of the internet. They hold 2.5 gallons (9.5L) and have a handle on both the top and the end opposite the spigot location so that it is natural to hold when filling an outboard motor tank, for example. A few minutes ago I did just that.

What is truly unique about this product is the nozzle assembly. It is not like anything I have seen before. It has a large radius cap easy on the hands with two separate screens located on a protuberance that extends inside the can to keep crud from being dispensed along with the fuel.

The nozzle is closed and remains closed when you "arm" the device by a simple thumb motion applied against a shelf to rotate the nozzle a few degrees clockwise. You tip the can over and insert the nozzle into the tank opening. NO, the fuel does NOT spill or drip out when you do this! Your fingers do not contact any fuel. You push gently with the can against the other tank to be filled and the fuel begins to dispense at a rate of 1.1 gal per min (no, I did not measure the rate yet it seems about right). When the tank is full with some air for safety remaining (as it should) the nozzle shuts off with a click (the previous rotation that you applied to arm the nozzle has been returned to the original position). You remove the can, again, no drips or leaks.

Sean, you will love this can!

There are three negatives: the cost (not cheap yet the product is high quality); the flow rate is a safe level for filling an outboard tank while bouncing around yet too slow for transferring to another device while being impatient; The nozzle extends 3 inches from the front face of the can and about 4 inches inline from the tank itself making stowage a carefully planned event yet there are no parts to get lost or come adrift.

Regards,
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 13:49   #2
cruiser

Thank GOD there is an alternative!! Thank you very much for this post, Rick. I want one of these for my spare dinghy/tender fuel. Spilling gasoline really repulsed me, as it's horrible for the environment. Plus, getting it on your hands all the time invites health issues. Pouring it all over the bilge of an inflatable is another issue.

I can't wait to check one of these out.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 15:51   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I assume one can buy these at a local Hardware/Garden store???

http://jackssmallengines.com/smartfillinfo.htm
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 16:11   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Pump 'n Go $24.99 Cdn

Available from Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 17:21   #5

Boat: Hylas 44; "Solace"
Rick,
I agree with your observation of the new gas cans and their pouring spouts. Here's what I did.
I took the pouring spout and cut the very tip off it, and that then allowed me to remove the sprung loaded outer sleeve. I then cut about another 3/4 inch back which left me a smooth pouring spout. I took vinyl plastic tubing, (but you can use a better quality if you like) and with an interference fit, slid one end on to the cut spout and had the tubing about three feet long. It is now easy to pour and get the spout end into the new tank before tilting the can up.
Cheers
Paul Rae
s/v Solace
prae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 17:30   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Smart-Fill

Paul, I don't understand why you modified the stock spout. The idea behind it is that you CAN tilt the container up before introducing the spout to a tank WITHOUT spilling a drop! Did you try it first before modifying it? If it leaked at all you had a bad unit.

OR///are you referring to the lousy cans that are sold on the shelves of various stores that DO leak?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 17:49   #7

Boat: Hylas 44; "Solace"
Rick,
I was was referring to the lousy cans sold at various stores. I've found the "retract" very difficult to use and engage with the deck mount filler caps used on most boats. Made worse in a rolling sea. Easier to put my filler hose in first, brace oneself, and then tilt the can up to pour. No balancing of the pouring spout on the edge of the filler to have the retract open so that fuel will flow. Very hard to do at the best of times, let alone in a rolling sea.
Cheers
Paul Rae
prae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree, the new "no-spill" cans are terrible. I've had them spill, spray, and even had the spout pop off the can (while inverted!). I've spilled much more fuel with these new spouts then I ever did with the old ones.

These days, I use a neat self-priming siphon:

This image came from Super Siphon ~ Safely and Easily Transfer Liquids! -- I don't remember where I got mine, though.

You just drop the tube in the can, shake it up and down, and the valve in the end pumps the tube full without you having to get a mouth full of diesel.

This still leaves you with the problem of the new cans having the nozzle sticking up in the air, waiting to be levered off. Fortunately, the threads on the new cans match the old ones, and you can still find the flat spin-on caps. The new tanks don't have an air-vent (it's built into the new nozzle), so the old-style spout won't pour very well. The siphon works great.

A few years ago as I was leaving Hawaii I picked up a bunch of the old-style jerry cans (this was after California had switched to the new cans.) I filled them with diesel, secured them topsides, and sailed home with them (didn't need to use any of the diesel, as it turned out). Last year, again sailing home from Hawaii, only the new bad-style cans were available. My jerry can collection keeps growing, and you can bet that I'm holding on to the old-style ones.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 00:29   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott
The new tanks don't have an air-vent (it's built into the new nozzle), so the old-style spout won't pour very well. The siphon works great.
Paul: You say the Super-Siphon works without a vent. Interesting.
I wonder how the vacuum is relieved?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:39   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Paul: You say the Super-Siphon works without a vent. Interesting.
I wonder how the vacuum is relieved?
I use the same siphon hose. Just open the can and drop it in. It doesn't need a vent with the top off.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:06   #11

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I have a super siphon as well - only 2 probs - sometimes the ball gets stuck while shaking it and doesn't work - may be a defective unit - and secondly, after finishing, there is gas residue in the hose and on the end that was put into the tank which you still have to handle and store somewhere. I use a watertight diving pouch with a zipper but a plastic container with watertight lid would work as well.

I like Ricks product shown from Canadian Tire as you can leave it attached to the gas can and therefor there is no spillage or gas exposure.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:39   #12

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Get a nice rain jacket and put it in the pockets!
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 22:37   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I inserted a lever cock on the other end of the super syphon (boat fuel tank end) so I can turn it off before the full fuel tank overflows. I inserted the cock into that end about 200mm before the end of the hose. I turn the cock off, carefully pull the ball end out of the empty fuel container (wearing latex gloves) and wrapping in a tissue. Then I hold it higher than the lever cock end, turn the cock back on and let the pipe empty it's last bit of liquid back into the tank. I take the glove off, wrap it around the ball end and with the tissue inside it. It stays like this until it's needed next time. I find it works better than any other system. No mess.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel