Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2008, 12:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I had a time in sales. I was quite successful in sales, but I got out for one reason. Umm actually two reasons. The main one being that the companies I worked for tended to "stretch" the truth a tad to make a sale. I wouldn't. Secondly, I attended company sales courses where you were taught how to "make sales". But to me they were mind games that worked by manipulation of the person you were selling to. I refused to do either. I would sell based on two things. Honesty and Integrity. If the product was good, I was happy to sing it's praises. I was happy to sell based on it's good points and be honest about the good points. These maybe it's quality, it's devices, it's advantages and maybe it's competitiveness. But I never stretched the truth and if there were limitations, I would also explain those. It was better to be upfront at the beginning than to return the following month and have lost your credibility with your client. The result was havign clients that would trust you and sometime let you make the decisions for them. I had several Clients that simply left me to restocking their parts shelf as I saw fit. I have made friends of clients that I am still friends with today, some 20yrs later.
Personaly, I look for the similar attitudes in reps that now visit me. And the ones that tend to have the "carsalesman" attitude might get to sell me something once, but that will be it. You might fool me once, but you won't fool me twice.
Actually, that reminds me of a song, "shame on you if ya fool me once, shame on me if ya fool me twice"

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
The main one being that the companies I would for tended to "stretch" the truth a tad to make a sale. I wouldn't. Secondly, I attended conmpany sales courses where you were taught how to "make sales". But to me they were mind games that worked by manipulation of the person you were selling to. I refused to do either. I woudl sell based on two things. Honesty and Integrity.

You can do both, Wheels.

A salesperson should absolutely never be dishonest. It will blow the sale completely when they are found out - *when* they are found out. Plus, if you make the sale and then are found out after they buy, you'll lose the easy upsells you could have enjoyed by having a good relationship.

Sales is all about helping someone select something that fills their need.

All you have to do is match them up, be personable, keep the conversation going (overcome the objections somehow) and you'll get to a close.

If your company was telling you to promise things that they couldn't deliver on, the sales manager is in need of training.

Under promsing and overdelivering is the way to have a happy customer.

I better go check out the anchor thread and see what went down.

Old 02-02-2008, 13:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sales is all about helping someone select something that fills their need.
Absolutley. I viewed sales as a service. Or Problem solving with a solution. The cutomer had a problem, and I sold them a solution.

Old 02-02-2008, 14:03   #19

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Definitely selling something on its own merits. Trying to discredit the competition is just plain sleazy. Even if those claims are true, its not going to lead me to believe that the product they are tring to sell is any better.
That being said, niether approach is going to get me to buy anything - my opinion of sales people and marketing types is just way too low for me to listen to anything they have to say. It seems that the only qualification one needs to be a salesman is to have the gift of gab, and any knowledge of the product to be sold is just coincidental. Indeed, it is rare that I ever come across a salesman who knows more about his products than I do, which is the very little that I can glean from sources that don't have a vested interest in that product. That's a pretty sad state of affairs.
In my younger days, when I was even more naiive than I am now, I got suckered into travelling to the East Coast to sell encyclopedias. The only positive thing about that whole experience , other than the adventure of it all, was the one week training course we all got in "how to sell the stuff". The books were irrelevant, and as has been mentioned before, it was all about manipulating people into buying something they, in most cases, did not even need. After that I recognized that all these "sales techniques" were being used everywhere to sell anything, and I could smell 'em a mile away and run in the other direction.
Old 02-02-2008, 15:06   #20

Boat: Valiant 50
After reading the last few posts, I've had a rethink; a sort of micro epiphany. I'm surprised at the number of posters who yearn for a sales and marketing approach that harks back to the good old slow moving, genteel days of mint juleps and southern courtesy. And yet we are ruthless about researching the web for the very best of deals, grinding potential vendors down to the last possible cent. As buyers we need to take some responsibility for the behavior of these vendors. We are hard nosed and remorseless in our pursuit of the ultimate deal. We have, by our behavior modified the responses of these potential vendors. Sorry Alan, we cant have it both ways. Hard nosed buyers = hard nosed vendors! Let 'em at it!. Intercede only when the victim is the truth.
Old 02-02-2008, 16:07   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
When it's sold on price buy on price, when on service...

If the only differentiation between vendors is the price then I buy on price.

If I need service or advice then I buy on service or advice.

If the vendor cannot take the time to be pleasant and helpful then I try not to buy from them at all.

Strangely enough I often find that the best service and advice give me the cheapest result.
Old 02-02-2008, 18:42   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
I'm not a seller. I'm a buyer. Service doesn't mean much to me. We get very little service on remote islands or when at sea. I want a product I can trust and I find out about it from others who have used it and are pleased with it.
I automatically assume that if a competitor needs to denigrate their competition's product to make a sale then the product they are selling is not as good. If you are selling a good product I want you to prove that it is good and don't want you to waste my time proving other products are bad.
JohnL
Old 02-02-2008, 23:50   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Letting the product sell itself of course...
Here is what I wrote on that "other" thread which I think applies here nicely...

"Well I see the anchor warriors are at it again. Just when I thought it was safe... I know from my own experience with products I have had on the market, patents mean almost nothing especially if you are a cash strapped venture. What I do know is competition is good for the consumer. Believe me. These new anchors are very expensive for the "average" sailor.
It is easy to become emotional about your product, especially when it is your livlyhood. But I will say that you can sell more of your product with a level head, kind, carefully choosen words and customer service. Gone are the days before Internet when opinions of products were difficult to find and hear. Now a days, these forums and customer feed-back via the Internet can make you or break you. All too many times I have seen great products go belly-up due to the fact the company turned people off.
Sometimes its better to hire a pro to do your marketing and put your efforts into product development where it might belong
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 00:46   #24

When a sales person launches into all the bad things about the competition, I reasonably conclude their own product cannot stand scrutiny.

Recently a Ford salesman asked what trucks I was looking at. Amoung others I mentioned a Tundra. He immediately attacked the Tundra.

Similar experience with other salesmen/brands, I test drove them all.

Now own a Tundra, love it.

Sometime negative opinion is the best indication of quality, depends on the source.

I really dislike negative sales technique.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around with boats.
zcfd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 00:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thermal said...It seems that the only qualification one needs to be a salesman is to have the gift of gab, and any knowledge of the product to be sold is just coincidental.
I think that is a little harsh and unfair. Sure you will have some like that, but also, there are a lot of Salesman the I like to call "technical Representatives". I had a lot of training in product and/or also a trade background in similar area's the product was being sold for. So I could advise with technical details. I know many Reps that are like that. But I also get very annoyed at the fresh outa school snotty nose Kid being paid minimum wage that has less clue on a product that you do after reading the simple sales brochure. My comment to those sales shop is, "Ya pay peanuts, ya get monkeys".

Old 03-02-2008, 00:54   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The No.1 golden rule of sales is..."you never put down the opposition". In fact it is often better to never even mention an opposition or their product. You stick to your own facts and sell the product on it's "Features and Benifits". That's Golden rule No.2 by the way.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:02   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

I guess like many folk the answer for me is "It varies".

Often I will have already decided to buy XYZ long before even meeting the salesman - at that point it is his sale to lose. And IME the usual reasons are a complete lack of interest in making the sale to me (I don't expect to have my ass kissed, just being treated like someone who does have an option to buy or not and treated pleasantly) or the sales folk being too much of a secondhand car dealer (albeit a bit of sales patter is quite enjoyable!) or the sales folk having an IQ in single figures..........as I either lose faith in the product or back up service........or I just won't buy out of some sort of principle........although their are times when I will buy no matter what and despite the salesperson, IF they have what I really really want, the price is right and I figure I will never need to deal with them again .

However their are a number of retailers I deal with repeatedly over the years who I buy from on service / the pleasant "retail experiance" / having built up a trust in their products, without always making price the No.1 priority (within reason!) and I will buy more on impulse from these due to my perceived trust in their products / after sales service. And with these places I do let them off for employing the occassional moron in Sales
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I guess like many folk the answer for me is "It varies".

Often I will have already decided to buy XYZ long before even meeting the salesman - at that point it is his sale to lose. And IME the usual reasons are a complete lack of interest in making the sale to me (I don't expect to have my ass kissed, just being treated like someone who does have an option to buy or not and treated pleasantly) or the sales folk being too much of a secondhand car dealer (albeit a bit of sales patter is quite enjoyable!) or the sales folk having an IQ in single figures..........as I either lose faith in the product or back up service........or I just won't buy out of some sort of principle........although their are times when I will buy no matter what and despite the salesperson, IF they have what I really really want, the price is right and I figure I will never need to deal with them again .

However their are a number of retailers I deal with repeatedly over the years who I buy from on service / the pleasant "retail experiance" / having built up a trust in their products, without always making price the No.1 priority (within reason!) and I will buy more on impulse from these due to my perceived trust in their products / after sales service. And with these places I do let them off for employing the occassional moron in Sales

PS I would never buy a safety related product designed / built / sold from someone who gives the impression (to me) of having a few mental health issues..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 16:07   #29

The best way is to sell YOUR product. The best way to sell YOUR product is to ask the customer what they want YOUR product to do...then listen to what they say and then tell them how your product will meet those needs...and only those needs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: