Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 22:59   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems?

HUMMM all ive ever used was West, Im gonna have to try something new, mostly use for new projects like cabinets, drawers, ect so don't need hugh amounts so mostly go to town to west marine. If I needed large amouts theres a couple of Cajun shipyards down the bayou that cut some GOOD deals on epoxy and sheet Bob and Connie
__________________

__________________
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 05:15   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

I cut off the deck and recored a 40' boat using epoxies from fgci.com. I have also used West extensively. For small projects and general boat work I like West, but for larger projects and extensive rebuild, I like the epoxies from fgci because they are equal quality, but I can get specific chemistries, viscosities and mixing ratios to exactly match the work I am doing.

Plus, they are much less expensive than West.

Have you thought about vinylester?

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 22:33   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The three major areas where I'm not tempted to go with the cheapest product:
1. cordage, especially halyards upon which I may be hoisted;
2. pumps, especially bilge pumps;
3. adhesives holding my boat together, especially epoxy.
I will say this: there are very few projects that I use epoxy on that are actually "holding my boat together". It is sometimes painful to pump out beau coup bucks just to do a small repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I cut off the deck and recored a 40' boat using epoxies from fgci.com. I have also used West extensively. For small projects and general boat work I like West, but for larger projects and extensive rebuild, I like the epoxies from fgci because they are equal quality, but I can get specific chemistries, viscosities and mixing ratios to exactly match the work I am doing.

Plus, they are much less expensive than West.

Have you thought about vinylester?

Mark
I haven't thought of it. One of the things I do really like about West Systems is that it doesn't out-gas like crazy, I even kind of like the smell. I am assuming that vinylester stinks because it has the word vinyl in it. I am a live aboard so I try to keep my projects as scentless as possible.
__________________
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 23:10   #19
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I will say this: there are very few projects that I use epoxy on that are actually "holding my boat together". It is sometimes painful to pump out beau coup bucks just to do a small repair.



I haven't thought of it. One of the things I do really like about West Systems is that it doesn't out-gas like crazy, I even kind of like the smell. I am assuming that vinylester stinks because it has the word vinyl in it. I am a live aboard so I try to keep my projects as scentless as possible.
Note that the mild smell which accompanies WEST and other amine based epoxies is very misleading. It is actually MUCH more toxic than the vastly more potent smelling vinylester or polyester resins. You are much more likely to go home with a case of cancer working with epoxy than any other resin system. Styrene monomer smells terrible but isn't all that bad for you, comparatively speaking. Wear your respirator and glove up triple deep. I know, I have used thousands of gallons of WEST and am skin sensitized. I know many people who have become respiratory sensitized and cannot be within a 100 yards of wet epoxy without breaking out in hives. You don't want to go there, it's no fun. I have been a yard safety officer for many years and am up on all the MSDS's.
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 23:37   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Posts: 303
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

+1 for U.S. Composites. Consider that there are a lot more brand names than there are manufacturers.
__________________
I do all my own stunts.
vintageray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 05:38   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Note that the mild smell which accompanies WEST and other amine based epoxies is very misleading. It is actually MUCH more toxic than the vastly more potent smelling vinylester or polyester resins. You are much more likely to go home with a case of cancer working with epoxy than any other resin system. Styrene monomer smells terrible but isn't all that bad for you, comparatively speaking. Wear your respirator and glove up triple deep. I know, I have used thousands of gallons of WEST and am skin sensitized. I know many people who have become respiratory sensitized and cannot be within a 100 yards of wet epoxy without breaking out in hives. You don't want to go there, it's no fun. I have been a yard safety officer for many years and am up on all the MSDS's.
+1 on all of this. And I want to emphasis that you need a carbon-canister respirator, not just a face mask or spun-filter canister one. The activated carbon is the part that adsorbs the organic chemicals.

Vinylester has the same smell as polyester because styrene is used for both as the solvent and thinning agent for the polymers.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Series Drogues & Heaving To Dpoissant Seamanship & Boat Handling 123 11-11-2014 09:29
Small Craft Sailing to Dry Tortugas in December DoiNomazi General Sailing Forum 70 07-10-2012 13:39
A cheaper alternative to West Systems ? unbusted67 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 20 17-02-2012 05:38
NMEA Signal Lost When Using USB to RS232 Converter rotorman Marine Electronics 10 15-02-2012 14:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.