Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 05:18   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO49
Re: 80amp Alternator

The reasons for the high cost are simple, lack of volume, and complex. The OEM units are spark shielded and will not cause vapour or gas explosions. Non marine units for autos, etc create fat sparks when used. Not a problem for autos, but not too good on boats! This applies to both starters and alternators.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:35   #17

Boat: Seafarer 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlyer View Post
The OEM units are spark shielded and will not cause vapour or gas explosions. Non marine units for autos, etc create fat sparks when used. Not a problem for autos, but not too good on boats! This applies to both starters and alternators.
This only applies to gas powered vessels. The spark arresters are usually just a screen on the back half of the case. Still, if that is important to you, you can have an alternator shop build one with the spark arester for around $100. Whatcom Electric will build an alternator with the same internal components and a spark arester as a Balmar in an AC Delco case.

It is something to be aware of, but on a diesel boat it really is less of a concern in the same way many diesel powered boats are not fitted with blowers but gasoline boats are.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 16:35   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

When I bought my Balmar HO alternator, I kept my original Yanmar/Hitachi as a spare. The cost in Illinois to rebuild either is less than $100. US.
Old 10-11-2014, 16:46   #19

Not sure I would carry a spare alternator, but to each his own. They seem very reliable... lasting 30 years sometimes. I guess it depends on your plan B....
Unlike in the USA, some third world countries auto parts carry lot s of alternator parts, diode sets etc.... let's face it.. not all the world can afford to just replace the whole thing!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 18:42   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure I would carry a spare alternator, but to each his own. They seem very reliable... lasting 30 years sometimes. I guess it depends on your plan B....
Unlike in the USA, some third world countries auto parts carry lot s of alternator parts, diode sets etc.... let's face it.. not all the world can afford to just replace the whole thing!
Boy that's so true. I carry a brand new Chinese 100 amp single wire Delco as a spare ($75.) But just about every little town in MX or central america we've been to has an auto repair thing going on. No problemo. It might take a few days but the beer is cheap and you are on vacation, right?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 17:36   #21

Boat: jeanneau 39i

Try API in Florida. Go to Google to find direct web site. Make starters regulators and other parts. Used API 120 regulator for years in the Caribbean. No problems and prices are good
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 18:18   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

The same situation with Volvo alts. Once the green paint dries it costs nearly 500 bucks. Add some 400 for the alternator itself!

That's probably the most expensive green paint man can buy in this part of our galaxy!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator