Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Workout during circumnavigation

Everybody knows how important regular physical activity is, particularly once you have reached a certain age:


WHO | Physical Activity and Adults


On land, it is not too difficult to reach this level of activity. It will be different on our planned circumnavigation, especially during longer trips or when lying at anchor. Interestingly, I haven't found much information about this topic. Of course it would be great having a gym-room on our yacht, but it is apparently beyound our financial possibilities.

How do circumnavigators keep in shape?
__________________

__________________
bwsailor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09   #2
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,536
Images: 14
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Sir Robin Knox-Johnson says in his book on his first circumnavigation to diving off the front swimming like mad then climbing back on as the stern over took him.

My experience on a long trip was upper body strength wasn't a problem but the legs stamina for running afterwards was compromised for a while.

Pete
__________________

__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16   #3
Registered User
 
bbowers2004's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bahmamas
Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Posts: 298
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Kettle Bells, + Swimming / HITT training for cardio.

Jumping Jacks, Standing Lunges, Touch and Reach.

Although it is a smaller area, the only thing you'll be missing is the machinary you are used to in the over sized gyms.

There are plenty of excersises that require no movement at all, that can maximize your working space and time.
__________________
"My goal in sailing isn't to be brilliant or flashy in individual races, just to be consistent over the long run." - Dennis Conner
Follow our Globe Circumnavigation:
http://jillionsvoyage.blogspot.de/
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Dynamic Tension" is the name Charles Atlas gave to the system of physical exercises that he first popularized in the 1920s.
Dynamic Tension is a self-resistance exercise method which pits muscle against muscle. The practitioner tenses the muscles of a given body part and then moves the body part against the tension as if a heavy weight were being lifted. Dynamic Tension exercises are not merely isometrics, since they call for movement. Instead, the method comprises a combination of exercises in three disciplines: isotonic, isokinetic, and some exercises in the isometric discipline.
Proponents assert that it is nearly impossible to be injured during exercise using this method because one's own muscles provide the force and, as they tire, so the force used also decreases. Likewise, the benefits can continue beyond the more traditional exercise methods because as the practitioner grows stronger, the exercise becomes more intense.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 270
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Get a strong bucket and rope, and tie it off to a cleat. Throw the bucket off the stern, wait for the bucket to sink, haul it in, slosh it on the deck, scrub with a brush, then repeat. The faster the boat, the longer the rope, the bigger the bucket, the fitter you will get.
Get a game fishing rod, strong line, and large lures. A big fish is a big workout.
Haul the anchor by hand
Row instead of motor
Bicycle instead of car
Swim instead of boat
Sit-ups
Chin-ups
Elastic straps
__________________
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13   #6
Registered User
 
Normanby's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dynamic Tension" is the name Charles Atlas gave to the system of physical exercises that he first popularized in the 1920s.
Dynamic Tension is a self-resistance exercise method which pits muscle against muscle. The practitioner tenses the muscles of a given body part and then moves the body part against the tension as if a heavy weight were being lifted. Dynamic Tension exercises are not merely isometrics, since they call for movement. Instead, the method comprises a combination of exercises in three disciplines: isotonic, isokinetic, and some exercises in the isometric discipline.
Proponents assert that it is nearly impossible to be injured during exercise using this method because one's own muscles provide the force and, as they tire, so the force used also decreases. Likewise, the benefits can continue beyond the more traditional exercise methods because as the practitioner grows stronger, the exercise becomes more intense.
Is this what you mean?
http://youtu.be/AatcIe1qoT4
__________________
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15   #7
Registered User
 
Normanby's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 312
Seriously though, I'm pinning my fitness hopes on kayaking to and from shore, plus lots of walking.

Moving aboard this month - woo hoo!
__________________
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21   #8
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Workout during circumnavigation

That's the one....
But... you don't need the 78 page instruction booklet... just about every multi-gym exercise can be replicated on a boat... just assume the required position then imagine the weight you normally use... muscle memory helps with this... so not much use for a beginner..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

I prefer Yoga as you can see in this video....
__________________
tom1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37   #10
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Theres no need for mono-hull long range cruisers to worry: I do not know one overweight grossly male, and very very few grossly overweight females.

The movement of the boat and the sailing of it will reduce the pounds and increase the fitness.

When in port for a while I go to a gym.


Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54   #11
Registered User
 
Normanby's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1263 View Post
I prefer Yoga as you can see in this video....
Oh yeah, that's how it's done...
I think I sprained something watching that.
__________________
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

You will be very limited if you sail a smaller boat and longer passages. We tried to catch up while anchored but we could never recover our earlier (land life) fitness levels. Back on land (well, sort of, because we live aboard) it took us well over a year to recover from that slump.

I think on bigger boats it is much easier - more physical things to do, you can walk the decks, carry some gym equipment, etc. (a friend of ours has a 50' cat and proper gym bike onboard). Maybe you can link one winch to an alternator and grind it for a couple of hours each day. This would be good for your fitness and for your battery bank too.

I think swimming is a great option but not all of us like to swim and it is not safe to swim everywhere.

Other than swimming, my main exercise was lifting the anchor (no winch here) BUT it did not do any good to my back. BEWARE.

All the best,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22   #13
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Best done seated on the deck, feet braced against the pulpit and leaning back to 50 degrees... then haul in hand over hand just using the arms.... have used this method on boats up to 40ft....
with a sensible anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You will be very limited if you sail a smaller boat and longer passages. We tried to catch up while anchored but we could never recover our earlier (land life) fitness levels. Back on land (well, sort of, because we live aboard) it took us well over a year to recover from that slump.

I think on bigger boats it is much easier - more physical things to do, you can walk the decks, carry some gym equipment, etc. (a friend of ours has a 50' cat and proper gym bike onboard). Maybe you can link one winch to an alternator and grind it for a couple of hours each day. This would be good for your fitness and for your battery bank too.

I think swimming is a great option but not all of us like to swim and it is not safe to swim everywhere.

Other than swimming, my main exercise was lifting the anchor (no winch here) BUT it did not do any good to my back. BEWARE.

All the best,
b.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37   #14
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,670
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

We have a friend in his 80's, and he still does 50 sit-ups and 50 pushups on deck every morning, at anchor. He's phenomenal! He free dives to 60 ft. and waits for the fish of his choice to come by to shoot. He's partial to coral trout. And walks a lot, too, as those of us do who have no cars.

Another friend, with a Valiant 40, installed a pull up bar at the top forward end of their companionway, and did pullups each morning, and an exercise where he raised and lowered his whole body weight with pushing up on the sides of the companionway. I suspect he did the dreaded wall squats for his legs.

Ann (using a car in the US)
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Workout during circumnavigation

There are only a handful of big oceans. Crossing them means a few weeks without proper exercise but that's roughly the same as any fitness person has to wait out injuries.

In the big picture, even in the medium picture, sitting out a few weeks isn't a big deal.

I have a 24kg kettlebell (and some smaller ones for my wife), but the real mileage I get is from my gymnastic rings, jump rope, and body weight exercises. Pistol squats, levers on the rings, and dips are pretty wicked.

Here's a picture from a few weeks ago. Baja Sur has a lot of basketball courts and parks in various stages of disrepair. Bluetooth speaker to pump some tunes, rings, jump rope, and chalk. As long as I'm done before sunrise and chalk up like a bastard I can keep the hand sweat to a minimum.

__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.