Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47   #16

Re: Workout during circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres no need for mono-hull long range cruisers to worry: I do not know one overweight grossly male, and very very few grossly overweight females.

Mark
Agreed, but not-obese doesn't in any way mean fitness. Increased bone density, better balance, resistance to injury, tougher connective tissue, etc. Only getting that stuff with weight training (including body weight) and impact sports.

Right now we joke that we're on the "Sea of Cortez Diet" which means you hike for miles in scalding heat, bust your ass doing manual labor, and because it's so hot your appetite is seriously reduced. Anyone who wants to shed some pounds should hang out in Mexico for the summer. (Not on an AC'd boat tied to a marina, however).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31   #17

Boat: contessa 32

All the chores and requirements of cruising and living aboard (outside of a marina) including REALLY sailing your vessel from place to place is enough to make Popeyes out of anybody. That takes care of the upper body.

Now walk everywhere when ashore,lug groceries and ice , row ,swim, snorkel,and hike to see the sights. Lower body now fine.

Miss a few meals (I never do this intentionally) due to stress of weather, mal de mare,fatigue,and low stores , the pounds will melt away.

I dunno, I'm in constant motion when I'm on the boat so this regimen should turn anybody to iron, but then again I don't have a windlass,or power anything beyond an outboard and my yanmar ,so maybe on a high tech craft there are ways for the sluggish sailor to go to seed.

...................................love you all...............mike............................ .....................
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Have a mono hull with a stand up wheel, hand steer standing up for at least an hour a day! This alone, with normal tenseing of your body from the motion ay sea will keep ya semi-fit, and as said above, walk a lot when ya are ashore!! worked for us for a lot of years!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58   #19

Boat: Kristen 52

Yoga, sex and 12oz curls......
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19   #20

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Have a mono hull with a stand up wheel, hand steer standing up for at least an hour a day! This alone, with normal tenseing of your body from the motion ay sea will keep ya semi-fit, and as said above, walk a lot when ya are ashore!! worked for us for a lot of years!!
Works well with multihulls also. If the off watch isn't asleep crank up some energizing music and dance at the wheel!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It seems that body builders and "regular" yotties have somewhat differing definitions of fitness! I think that if one compares the fitness levels of cruisers and normal sedentary dirt dwellers the yotties will be fitter. Not owning automobiles, doing daily exercise in the running of our boats, often swimming/snorkeling frequently, possibly rowing a dinghy, all of these activities aid in maintaining a reasonable degree of fitness. They do not make us athletes by any stretch of the imagination! Adding some form of additional exercise can only help. I've found that substituting table push-aways for deep elbow bends is a good start!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23   #22

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dynamic Tension" is the name Charles Atlas gave to the system of physical exercises that he first popularized in the 1920s.
Dynamic Tension is a self-resistance exercise method which pits muscle against muscle. The practitioner tenses the muscles of a given body part and then moves the body part against the tension as if a heavy weight were being lifted. Dynamic Tension exercises are not merely isometrics, since they call for movement. Instead, the method comprises a combination of exercises in three disciplines: isotonic, isokinetic, and some exercises in the isometric discipline.
Proponents assert that it is nearly impossible to be injured during exercise using this method because one's own muscles provide the force and, as they tire, so the force used also decreases. Likewise, the benefits can continue beyond the more traditional exercise methods because as the practitioner grows stronger, the exercise becomes more intense.
What he said! Plus plenty of yoga style exercises that strengthen core muscles and breathing capacity without need of various equipment. My wife is a yoga guru. I am asking her to design a program of asanas that can be done in tight quarters and while underway.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47   #23

We've been very happy with our TRX suspension trainer which is light and fits into a small bag when not in use. We use the home version which we attach to the mast, and work out on the foredeck.

The TRX website is: Suspension Training With TRX - A Total Body Workout | TRX
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, paracelle