Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2011, 04:26   #31

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Wooden Plugs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
This is the type of thread that makes these forums progressive! And, uh, I've got nuthin'. For steel hulls, I've come up with a couple of different solutions, both utilizing magnets, but for glass...

After watching the videos, I like the cushion attempt the best. Consider if hitting a submerged container; trying to hang over the lifelines in a swell & hook a line doesn't seem like an easy task & keeping a sail, or anything, in position on the outer hull side when trying to sail to the nearest port, would, I think, be difficult. So, the 2 main weaknesses with the cushion are water penetration & keeping it in position, right? What about waterproof gear bags or flotation cushions, to address the water absorption? As for keeping it in position, that's pretty tough when one considers hull angles & water ingress pressure. Something spring-loaded & long enough to wedge against the deckhead would probably give the necessary force - although a smaller version of "it" for confined spaces would also have a value - but then there is the "footprint" which would need to be adjustable for circumference & angle, no? Maybe we should have a contest for best design. Beats the heck out of arguing about keel types & tiller vs. wheel.
Collision mats can be made from a variety og materials and shapes...watter pressure should provide much of the seal as long as the mat can be tied/secured in place. The objective isn't necessarily to stop the water coming in...it is to slow it to a mangeable flow/amount.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:27   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think having sound and strong thru hulls beats having bad ones with properly sized plug attached to them .... ;-)))))

1. Start the engine,
2. Start the pumps,
3. Find the leak,
4. Plug it with the best material to do the job,

Plugs? Have them probably.

I have never seen a single boat that did use them ever.

b.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:30   #33
cruiser

I think it is for minimal cost and practically can lower the expenses because it's cheap and affordable.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38   #34

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think having sound and strong thru hulls beats having bad ones with properly sized plug attached to them .... ;-)))))

1. Start the engine,
2. Start the pumps,
3. Find the leak,
4. Plug it with the best material to do the job,

Plugs? Have them probably.

I have never seen a single boat that did use them ever.

b.
must be nice to have x-ray or ultrasound technology onboard underway!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56   #35

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

if the thru hull snaps off?
how many bronze thru hulls break off?
I have some 40 years old and in very good shape. I know since couple years ago, I pulled everyone apart off the boat for inspection when doing a major hull repair.
I dont have any wood plugs. Some of my thru hulls have outer screens. Would those long tapered plugs go thru the screens?
I like the nerf ball ideas better. Stuff them into a hole using a screwdriver.

Toilet bowl wax is really weak, it partially melts with the heat of your hands. The stuff in the video is not toilet bowl wax.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

An old-timer once told me wooden plugs are like religion,death, and going to heaven.
When the inevitable happens, its a relief to know you were a believer.
Bluestocking could fill a pew
Old 10-09-2011, 06:30   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

There is that Swedish made goo that can be formed into a slimeball and stuffed into any shaped hole. Probably as good as the plugs and better.

b.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39   #38

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Absolutey...it does no harm to have an appropriately sized wooden plug attached to or near each thru hull...just in case the valve breaks off...
I had this happen once...an old nylon valve seized and in trying to turn it off, it broke the fitting....thank goodness for a plug right there when I needed it
And thats not to decry ANY other form of hole plugging...keeping the water out is a #1 priority !!
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:43   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"WATER SPOUT", to crew, I shout,
"where's the tapered plug?",
With lost look, crew says "Oh ph*ck,
we left them at the dock"

Neptune comes in,
Says with a grin,
"I think I'll make this mine,
-a little wet, but mine to get"
So don't forget the Pine.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
. . . Toilet bowl wax is really weak, it partially melts with the heat of your hands. The stuff in the video is not toilet bowl wax.
Then what exactly is it?

- - The wooden plug are the "old standard" way of plugging a broken off seacock. There more modern plugs made of flexible material and even large rubber expandable plugs similar to your dinghy drain plug but larger.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06   #41

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Then what exactly is it?
I can only guess
It might be like silly putty with a stiffener and with something else such as a micro fiber which holds it together.

It cant be just toilet bowl wax since I used some on the old boat when sealing up plank edges. The toilet bowl wax we stuffed into all the plank cracks and when the boat went int the water, all the wax was so soft the water pressure pushed it all aside, and the boat almost sunk if not for many pumps till the wood swelled up.

Have you ever heard of slickseam? Might be similar.
http://www.davisnet.com/marine/produ...asp?pnum=00730

Quote:
Slick Seam is an excellent underwater seam compound for wooden boats. Requires no mixing, stirring or priming. Made of wax, pure mineral products and silicate fibers, Slick Seam adheres well to most solid surfaces whether dry, wet or even oil stained. Applies easily and cleans up fast with mineral spirits. Cures ready for paint in 30 minutes. Stands up well to flexing and swelling wood. One jar is enough to caulk the seams on most boats to 20'.

Rheopecty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Non-Newtonian fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

perhaps it has a similar characteristic?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just added a new bathroom to the house, and mounted the throne on one of those seals. Black butylene ring protect wood floor end grain.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:24   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I can only guess
It might be like silly putty with a stiffener and with something else such as a micro fiber which holds it together. . . .

Have you ever heard of slickseam? Might be similar.
Slick Seam by Davis
. . .
So you don't know that it is not toilet seal wax - There are different grades of toilet seal wax and I have my favorite version which I have used installing hundreds of toilets - and the stuff looks and works exactly like the stuff shown in the "stayafloatmarine" video link.
- - However, the Davis Marine stuff in your link does look much superior and I would trust it more than the "stayafloatmarine" material which is only shown being used for very shallow water leaks.
- - Still there are much better materials and processes for plugging leaks or cracks as many posters have commented about.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34   #44

Boat: Boro

I have a steel yacht.

I have used the wooden plugs for a broken seacock. I have scuba aboard, which made it easier.

I bashed the wooden plug in with a hammer from the outside. Then, I unscrewd the seacock, went to the chandlery, and bought a new one. Installed it, bashed the wooden plug out from the inside, then closed the new seacock.

Not a drop of water spilt.

Sometimes, the old technology works.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38   #45

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Thru hulls snapping off is one thing but a jagged hole in fibreglass needs a different fix.

A few years ago a Royal Navy ice breaker was holed in Antarctica, I think that was a damaged thru hull, but they sent a diver over the side with a magnetic plate which had a rubber seal round the edges and he stuck it over the hole.
So much easier as the water pressure is working with, not against it. Easy too if the surface is flat, not curved
I have a steel, chined boat and you have just made my day.

I have a collision bulkhead that, with the application of semi-circular rubber plugs for the limber holes, will in theory let very little water in. Again, in theory, we could lose the first seven feet of the bow and still keep floating.

I was concerned with the idea of a side strike or puncture, however, from going onto a reef or having the corner of an awash container nail us in the side at or just below the waterline. The boat's plates are flat there for the most part.

This idea is simple, easily made and if the RN uses it, probably effective enough to rig extra pumps and keep the decks dry. Many of the ideas shown wouldn't work for jagged metal holes, and I was thinking that only wedges, 2 x 4s and through-bolted plywood with goop might work, but not necessarily well or in time.

This gives me a new venue to explore. I'll have to keep it well away from the helm compass, though! Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: