Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 12:33   #1

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

Right now, I'm using a great bosun chair, with Ronstat series 55 ratcheting blocks in a purchase.
I can't get to the very top though with this set up, just below.
I'd like to be positioned right over the top.
I used mast steps on my last boat, worked great, but would rather not do that this time.
Suggestions for aloft gear?
I've got the climbing harness.
Ascenders, up the halyard or ?

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:59   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

I use prussiks up the halyard. I have two folding steps installed right at the top which allows me to stand up and be above the top, but still attached to the prussiks for safety.

I also use a climbing harness. Bosun's chairs scare me as it feels like I could fall out if I turned upside down!
Old 18-03-2015, 15:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

I use a rock climbing harness, I don't trust bosun's chairs. While more comfortable, there is a real risk of falling out of them.

Assuming a masthead halyard I have never had an issue getting high enough with the harness. The attachment point is just above my waist, so I am always at least shoulder high above the mast.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I use a rock climbing harness, I don't trust bosun's chairs. While more comfortable, there is a real risk of falling out of them.

Assuming a masthead halyard I have never had an issue getting high enough with the harness. The attachment point is just above my waist, so I am always at least shoulder high above the mast.

I do have a rock climbing harness as well I wear it and hook it up with the chair to the end of the purchase.
The problem is the the ratchet blocks with their total length, and the chairs strap length put me out of reach about two feet.
The chair is very safe it's the deluxe model, padded, belt, and most importantly, pockets to put stuff in so I can do quite a bit things without repeated trips.
The purchase allows me to pull myself up quite easily, and with just the harness, I can reach the mast head, again, just not to a visual working height of the top. Using just the halyard would probably get me there.
Don't really want to have to have someone sweat me up the mast, not many folks in this Marina, and that practice I trust a lot less than my own, also requires a tailer for the winch.

Old 18-03-2015, 17:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I use prussiks up the halyard. I have two folding steps installed right at the top which allows me to stand up and be above the top, but still attached to the prussiks for safety.

I also use a climbing harness. Bosun's chairs scare me as it feels like I could fall out if I turned upside down!

That's tough work with those but effective i don't quite have the energy for that.
Having two steps maybe the right answer for me, I liked the steps I installed on my last rig.

Old 18-03-2015, 17:32   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

I use a climbing harness and mast steps with 2 halyards for safety.

If I need to climb by myself I use Prussiks on 2 halyards.

I also have a double block and tackle and a bosuns chair. I wont use the bosuns chair on its own. Might be traditional but a safety nightmare.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
.......and most importantly, pockets to put stuff in so I can do quite a bit things without repeated trips.
Unless going up alone with no one else on the boat, which I never do anyway, I ALWAYS hang a small pennant line down from the chair so I can bring stuff up that I've forgotten in spite of meticulous planning.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:42   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I use rock climbing gear with ascenders and repell down. One of the ascenders has foot straps, which I use for po-going up the line. Then while at the top I use the foot straps to lift myself up above the masthead while keeping myself strapped to a top eye for the spinnaker block.

I use a waste/seat harness, AND a chest harness, which is great for strapping in, as well as keeping me upright.
Old 18-03-2015, 17:55   #9

Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

😊 thanks
Old 18-03-2015, 21:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mast climber from ATN. The Bosun Chair is super comfortable and secure. The linked foot straps work well against the mast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:47   #11

Boat: Island Packet 35

I use a petzl Croll, Petzl ascender and Petzl descender in a frog rig. I feel this is much safer than a bosun's chair. I was able to get all the parts I needed from Onrope.com in Chattanooga OnRope1: Rappel/Caving Harnesses
jhstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:58   #12

top climber it is all in the legs.

my elbows are shot
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 09:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Folding mast steps and a climbing harness. Two parellel steps at the top to allow real mast head access.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 09:42   #14

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

Schooner with no mast top haliard block, so I have the same problem getting high enough to work the very top. I use a 4:1 block and tackle hoisted to a topsail haliard block, plus climbing harness with chest harness as well.
To get to the very top, I take up a separate rope sling with three foot stirrups, which I hang from the highest point I can easily reach. Then, still safely in my harness, I can step into the stirrups and climb the rest of the way. So, I am actually standing up when working on the anchor light or antennas. Works well for me.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:11   #15

Boat: ODAY 28

I use the topclimber, works great for me, suggest watch their video......
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast