Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 12:31   #16

Re: Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

WONDERING WHAT THOSE THAT DON'T LIKE TO CLIMB THEIR MASTS ARE USING ?....

The ADMIRAL!!!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:27   #17

Boat: 1985 Islander Freeport 38C aka IF38C
Re: Wondering what those that like to climb their masts are using, to reach the v...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
Schooner with no mast top haliard block, so I have the same problem getting high enough to work the very top. I use a 4:1 block and tackle hoisted to a topsail haliard block, plus climbing harness with chest harness as well.
To get to the very top, I take up a separate rope sling with three foot stirrups, which I hang from the highest point I can easily reach. Then, still safely in my harness, I can step into the stirrups and climb the rest of the way. So, I am actually standing up when working on the anchor light or antennas. Works well for me.
Great combination. What blocks do you use to make your 4:1? If you are using a climbing harness and chest harness how do you attach to both? We have a CMC harness http://www.cmcrescue.com/wp-content/.../FRHarness.pdf and are wondering the best way to attach. We currently have a 3:1 and want to go to a 4:1 but have not found what we thing are correct blocks. Thanks!
exterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 05:40   #18

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

For the 4:1 tackle, use a double block attached to your waist harness, and a double with becket at the top. Ratchet blocks are nice, but not necessary. I am using big Garhauer blocks and 1/2" braid. (overkill)

The hoist attaches to your waist harness, but passes through a carabiner attached to the chest harness. This should keep you upright in the event of a fall. I like that CMC harness you have, but if you only attach at the waist, you could end up hanging upside down!
Old 24-07-2015, 06:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
For the 4:1 tackle, use a double block attached to your waist harness, and a double with becket at the top. Ratchet blocks are nice, but not necessary. I am using big Garhauer blocks and 1/2" braid. (overkill)

The hoist attaches to your waist harness, but passes through a carabiner attached to the chest harness. This should keep you upright in the event of a fall. I like that CMC harness you have, but if you only attach at the waist, you could end up hanging upside down!
Thanks for the reply. Will work up a new rig when we return from our summer sailing. I will take a look at the Garhauers.
Old 25-09-2015, 20:01   #20

Boat: Islander 36

2 halyards. One is backup attached directly to the my harness. The other takes up another line with 2 long tails. Those tails each come back down to the deck and anchor to the deck, kept taught. These are for left and right ascenders and stirrups. I climb it like a ladders, rather than an inch worm.. I can use this with my bosun chair or not. I also include a chest harness.

Still have the ratcheting block and tackle. I use that for pulling up the RIB with it's outboard from the top of the mast every night. Love it for that, but not for mast climbing anymore.
Old 25-09-2015, 20:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
2 halyards. One is backup attached directly to the my harness. The other takes up another line with 2 long tails. Those tails each come back down to the deck and anchor to the deck, kept taught. These are for left and right ascenders and stirrups. I climb it like a ladders, rather than an inch worm.. I can use this with my bosun chair or not. I also include a chest harness.

Still have the ratcheting block and tackle. I use that for pulling up the RIB with it's outboard from the top of the mast every night. Love it for that, but not for mast climbing anymore.
Any chance you could post a photo of the ascenders and stirrups?
Old 25-09-2015, 22:21   #22

Boat: Islander 36

Sorry. I'm half a world away from my boat right now. You could look them up on Amazon.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast