Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15   #16

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Why Do We Tolerate Sun-rotting PFDs?

Knockabout my point exactly, I keep my "emergency coast guard required" type out of the sun. As I stated earlier we have and wear our hi quality auto inflate UV protected PFD with harness when conditions warrant. It is your crew and your lift you are looking after so quality does matter. The Hawaii sun does a job on sunbrella fairly quickly. Nothing stay out in the sun if it doesn't have to.
Al little tread drift but to me it is just like buying flares, I only buy the SOLAS flares not the CG approved one. Do I spend more yes have you ever seen the flares side by side in a demo? I have and the difference is huge. Here in Hi if I am 5 mile from shore I am in the middle of the ocean I am aware of that and take safety seriously.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 16:14   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hey, these have been really good posts. They won't change th USCG, but are reasuring now that I know that there are really knowledgeable cruisers out there that take such issues seriously, and have found ways to overcome these sorts of problems. Thank you for your recommendations. --Tim.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 22:20   #18

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Just a guess, but probably to keep costs down to a point where people will actually buy them. You have to remember, outside of Cruisers Forum, the vast majority of boat owners are probably actually on the water 10-12 times a year (or less) and store their minimum legal PFDs in garage the rest of the year. The cheapie ones that come six to bag last for years in this kind of situation.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 23:40   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

IS this the sort of thing you have to have on board?

Kent Adult Life Jacket / PFD

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 23:47   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Hey, these have been really good posts. They won't change th USCG, but are reasuring now that I know that there are really knowledgeable cruisers out there that take such issues seriously, and have found ways to overcome these sorts of problems. Thank you for your recommendations. --Tim.
No and I guess this is one of those times I should be grateful for living outside the US. The UK ethos seems to be one of education not legislation so you are encouraged to wear a life jacket but it is not compulsory. Rules changed recently in Ireland and I think wearing a life jacket is now a legal requirement.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:09   #21

Pete7 yes that is the sort of thing. It is a type 2 I believe. In the US it would need to be CG approved and most are if purchased in the US. I only keep type 1s on my boat they are a bit bulkier. I did put one of ours on an jump off the boat to ensure it would float me face up. As discussed these are USCG requirements if you request assistance the CG is going to direct the skipper to have all on the boat to put their life jackets on. There are some tasks that are difficult to do with a bulky life jacket on. If you have an inflatable and it is CG approved that would suffice having a life jacket on.
In the states wearing of life jackets is encouraged. Wearing one like you boasted on an 85F degree day with 15 kts of wind and 3-4 foot seas would be ridiculous. In Hawaii children under 13 years old it mandatory for them to wear one. The age varies by state. This is where they need one that is comfortable to wear. I don't agree with this rule either as you could have a 14 year old from an inland state who has never seen the ocean and can't swim not have to wear one but a 12 year old who started sailing at 6 years old has sailed many dinghies and can swim and is comfortable in the water be required to wear on.
Old 11-07-2016, 21:38   #22

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
IS this the sort of thing you have to have on board?

Kent Adult Life Jacket / PFD

I don't know if you meant me, but, yep, those are the ones.

For serious coastal/blue water boats, no, for a trailer boat on a power impoundment lake in the US, sure. Throw them under the seats when you go out, store them in the garage at home, they last 10 years or more.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 23:38   #23

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
The USCG standard for recreational PFDs allows cloth that rots within a year in the sun.
Does the USCG standard forbid using sun resistant cloth? If not, than I don't see the issue. If you want sun resistant PFDs just buy sun resistant PFDs.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 23:44   #24

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
I don't agree with this rule either as you could have a 14 year old from an inland state who has never seen the ocean and can't swim not have to wear one but a 12 year old who started sailing at 6 years old has sailed many dinghies and can swim and is comfortable in the water be required to wear on.
Generally when I am in command the rule is that if you can't swim you wear a life jacket, and you also always wear one at night, when you are alone, and as soon as the first reef goes in...
I would however expect kids over the age of 10 to be able to swim, unless some medical condition would prohibit it. Or is learning to swim not a compulsory part of primary school in the US?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 00:25   #25

Boat: S & S 43'

Talking of safety /MOB etc. : do you have a line that ties the flag (on the pole), the floation ring/horseshoe and the inverted flashing light together? Usually these lines are made of a floating material and to keep it cheap very often polyprop is used. If that line is out in the sun, unless you keep all the gear in the lazarette ! ! , it degrades and turns into powder in the UV in a year.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:28   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Actually, the PFD pictured by Pete7 is a Type 2, and Type 3s, which are vests with an inch or so of flotation on you back and front, are USCG acceptable for recreational boats. The Type 2 (Horse collar) is terribly incomfortable and inconvenient, but does right you if unconscious in the water. The type 3 (vest) is comfortable enough and close enough to your body to be usable for dinghy sailing. This question is really for the mass of occasional recreational boaters and their families - the posts make it evident that any serious cruiser invests in better safety gear. These sun-rotting PFDs are what you find in Megamart, and are sadly what is carried on most recreational boats.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18   #27

KVB swimming is not a compulsory requirement in primary schools in the US. Here in Hawaii most of the children can swim right after they learn to walk. I always ask my guests if they can swim as part of my pre sailing brief. I have the floatable device ready but if a now swimmer goes over they may not be able to get to it as they are panicked. I have a couple of strong swimmers in my crew one of which would be designated to go in after the non swimmer.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:33   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

My type 2 are in a nice zippered bag under all the junk in the lazarette. They should last forever that way.

When I go out, I hang a cushion or two over unused winches. But if somebody goes over, the cushion wouldn't be the first thing over, a big cockpit cushion would be first.

Depending on my activity, I may wear a Type 3 or inflatable.

As far as the lifespan of the Type 2, I can buy a pack of four on sale for $25; normally they're $40- ten bucks each. At ten bucks, I don't care if they last a year- I typically toss two or three each year after they get beat up and tired from sitting in the dingy or whatever.

It's a non-issue.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:26   #29

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Wow! UV spray! I didn't know that it existed. Thanks so much!
I am assuming you are talking about the Type 1 or Type 2 Adult Life Jackets, required by the USCG?

Why would you leave them out in the sun?

With proper care, storage and cleaning of those Jackets, even the cheap ones will last for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	life vest.PNG
Views:	593
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	127718  

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd, rot