Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 02:02   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Another death in the Clipper Race: https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com...n-speirs--cv30 It took the highly trained amateur crew 38 minutes to get him back on board. It seems to me that a high percentage of offshore fatalities occur just this way. Why does it take 38 minutes to get someone back on board? Why can't a full crew just haul a MOB back on board by main force by his tether, in seconds? Why can't they stop the boat? I'm having trouble visualizing how these accidents happen. My lifejackets have transparent face masks which keep spray out of your mouth, but maybe we need some kind of breathing apparatus? In another recent fatality just this way, the victim was even working with the crew to figure out how to get him back on board -- but still drowned. Something is wrong with this picture.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 02:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Another death in the Clipper Race: https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com...n-speirs--cv30 It took the highly trained amateur crew 38 minutes to get him back on board. It seems to me that a high percentage of offshore fatalities occur just this way. Why does it take 38 minutes to get someone back on board? Why can't a full crew just haul a MOB back on board by main force by his tether, in seconds? Why can't they stop the boat? I'm having trouble visualizing how these accidents happen. My lifejackets have transparent face masks which keep spray out of your mouth, but maybe we need some kind of breathing apparatus? In another recent fatality just this way, the victim was even working with the crew to figure out how to get him back on board -- but still drowned. Something is wrong with this picture.
Looks likely that it was actually a tether connector failure due to side loading while they were getting a halyard on to get him back onboard. Might have all happened in seconds, we don't know.
https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlH...type=2&theater

Half hours sounds pretty good going getting a MOB back onboard in the southern ocean. Must have been awful for the crew, poor guy. Southern Ocean is close to the edge..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 03:49   #3
cruiser

Radio prog on how different it is ..

The Godforsaken Sea: Exploring Antarctica's Southern Ocean - Home | Ideas with Paul Kennedy | CBC Radio
Old 30-12-2017, 04:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Have not got a clue.. never having used one in my life.. and never will.
Each to their own..
Re the time taken.. consider how long it takes to slow a boat from 20 plus knots.. the sea conditions and the fact the MOB is being repeatedly slammed against the hull/immersed while sails are dropped and boat slowed..
One has to accept a basic fact.. going out to sea is in reality a 50/50 gamble that you-ll reach the other side.. kinda like driving to work down a motorway.
Harsh but still a fact.. aint no certainties in life though we like to kid ourselves otherwise..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 04:25   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

I've been thinking about tethers quite a bit lately, actually since that poor chap in the caribean went missing a little while back.

I can't really answer your question but I question the whole jack line thing.

Sometimes I truly believe I'm going to head overboard due to focusing to much on the tether that wants to catch on everything, including me.

My passages this year made me truly understand if I go overboard I'm going to die.

I'm changing my system to center jack line and strategically placed padeyes that I can clip onto at certain points.

My current system increases my chance of going overboard and just means I'll die next to the boat, because I don't believe my partner could get me back on, particularly with the sides of modern boats.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 04:41   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

That it took a full crew 38 minutes just highlights that odds are if you go over you are going to die! Life is better if you stay ON the boat!
Old 30-12-2017, 05:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Very short answer—— Simple physics. If you run a jackline 1’ from the edge of the boat and use a 3’ or 6’ tether- if you fall there is a good chance you fall off the boat. If you rig the jackline down the centerline of the boat this cannot happen.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 05:19   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Very short answer—— Simple physics. If you run a jackline 1’ from the edge of the boat and use a 3’ or 6’ tether- if you fall there is a good chance you fall off the boat. If you rig the jackline down the centerline of the boat this cannot happen.
Which begs the obvious question -- then why don't they?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-12-2017, 05:36   #9

Quote:
One of the reasons is you have to get there first,where a jack line from stern to bow is available from the cockpit.
Old 30-12-2017, 05:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because they are stubborn.. and boats are built with points most convenient for the constructors/designers.. an afterthought.. not for the folk who sail them.. its like asking why engine room access is always so lousy..
I have said for decades.. if your going to use tethers run the line down the centre.. the reasons have always been obvious to me.. as for stretchy tethers to minimise tripping over them.. that's hilarious.. yet folk still suggest it now and then.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 30-12-2017, 05:45   #11

People do what all the other people do, follow the herd.... I'm not sure you qualify for heard exceptance Boatie,try again next year.
Old 30-12-2017, 05:45   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Maybe it was? RKJ said the poor guy was on his long tether.
Old 30-12-2017, 05:47   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Or, why don't we?

Does a yacht have a strong point to clip on before climbing out into the cockpit?

Are there sufficient strong points in the cockpit?

How do crew go from the cockpit forward past a sprayhood whilst remaining clipped on?

How long should the tether be? you might get away with 3ft with a side jackline, but a centre line jack will require a 6ft tether. That is a long way to fall from the windward to leeward side and warrant some serious re-enforcing to both jackline, the mountings and tether to support the average person.

Something to really consider during a custom build perhaps.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clipper-yacht-race.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	161253  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 05:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
One of the reasons is you have to get there first,where a jack line from stern to bow is available from the cockpit.
I disagree.. its no big deal to put a pad eye each side of the hatchway with 2 lines running to a single pad eye at the mast.. then a single line running to the bow that one can transfer to from a secure position.
Clip on before you climb out of the cockpit.

Old 30-12-2017, 06:01   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Or, why don't we?

Does a yacht have a strong point to clip on before climbing out into the cockpit?

Are there sufficient strong points in the cockpit?

How do crew go from the cockpit forward past a sprayhood whilst remaining clipped on?

How long should the tether be? you might get away with 3ft with a side jackline, but a centre line jack will require a 6ft tether. That is a long way to fall from the windward to leeward side and warrant some serious re-enforcing to both jackline, the mountings and tether to support the average person.

Something to really consider during a custom build perhaps.

Pete

Well, I have jackstays on either side deck, but after some thought, I don't see how a centerline one would be better -- I never clip on to the leeward one anyway. The problem must be at the pointy end where it doesn't make any difference -- leeward, windward, or center, they're all going to be in about the same place, and you're screwed if green water comes over the bow.

In rough weather, I heave to before doing ANYTHING at the bow, period, full stop -- a hard and fast rule on my boat. And I rarely have to do anything at the bow, with all furling headsails, but on rare occasions a line gets tangled or a furler needs some attention, or an anchor needs some extra lashing down, or a nav light needs fixing. Heaving to makes that kind of work relatively safe, it seems to me.

But still -- there ought to be a way to survive going over, even with a short handed crew. Couldn't you just heave to and haul him up by his tether? Why couldn't that be done in under a minute if you have a full crew? I am still failing to visualize this. I know I don't make 20 knots, but even from full chat at 9 or 10, I can heave to and stop the boat in seconds. At most I might have to center the traveler and haul in the mainsheet, but how many seconds does that take? 30? I just fail to visualize why sailors keep getting dragged by their tethers and drowned -- I must not understand something.
Walt Whitman

Tags
sail