Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 10:45   #61

Boat: naver 29
Re: Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
DH,

Been there... no murder took place.

Neither the dog nor the knucklehead was “murdered” or died a “certain death” during the singlehanded rescue performed on our Hunter 450 seven years ago using the Lifesling and the technique recommended by Lifesling (which is illustrated on the outside of the protective case). Now we practice several times each season using a rescue life ring as the victim and without the engine... just to keep in practice.

You and others should do the same, both to see just how simple it is to perform and then to keep up your skills.

To answer your question in the above post: Cut him loose in his drysuit and recover using the Lifesling technique like we use on our boat.
do you have any links to videos that demonstrate the technique you describe?
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 10:49   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
My policy has always been that in rough conditions, no one leaves the cockpit.
Try saying that when your gooseneck fails in a F8 and the boom is thrashing around trying to destroy the sail and rig.. be surprised how fast you can move and make a fix.. even if its just to ram a long screwdriver in to keep it in place till you can find a bolt..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 10:56   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Boatie makes an essential point in #10. How often do you see a yacht fitted with gear specific to the purpose of getting a MOB back aboard? Or even with gear that can be quickly applied to that task even though mainly in other employment?

As Boatie hinted,you don't expect boat factories to think of, let alone provide, such intellectually advanced gear. But I don't think it's beyond the ability of us boat owners to fit such gear.

TP
Here’s an example of a boat fitted with “intellectually advanced gear” which “can be quickly applied” in a MOB situation. The sugar scoop stern is also available on boats constructed by most manufacturers over the past 25 years such as Jeanneau, Beneteau, Hunter and IP just to name a few.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3257693B-488B-4B46-9DDC-37D1CB91B94E.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	161267  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 10:58   #64

Another reason I like catamarans....

Besides the fact of nearly no heel (ok, certainly some on a big wave...but less) - using centerline jacklines, padeyes or other tether attachment points ....means w/ a 6' tether you still don't make it overboard. Yes you do, on most boats, have to go down a side deck to get to where you can tether to centerline, but I'd guess the vast majority of MOB's happen from the mast forward (except for those who go over the lee lifelines with their zippers down ). My DeckVest has double - 1x3' + 1x6' - tethers....along with immersion-activated personal AIS beacon AND a LifeTag fob. Granted, the AIS and LifeTag wouldn't necessarily save you in freezing water or from having your head bashed in - but it's all about maximizing your odds - by 1) not going in the drink in the first place, but if you do - 2) having your crew know about it asap......and then if you do get separated from the boat, being able to be found asap.

However, I put racing such boats in the Southern Ocean somewhere out there with surfing 50' waves and skiing never-before-skied mountain faces: if you want that kind of challenge and adrenaline rush, you have to be accepting of the risks....
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:01   #65

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Another death in the Clipper Race: https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com...n-speirs--cv30 It took the highly trained amateur crew 38 minutes to get him back on board. It seems to me that a high percentage of offshore fatalities occur just this way. Why does it take 38 minutes to get someone back on board? Why can't a full crew just haul a MOB back on board by main force by his tether, in seconds? Why can't they stop the boat? I'm having trouble visualizing how these accidents happen. My lifejackets have transparent face masks which keep spray out of your mouth, but maybe we need some kind of breathing apparatus? In another recent fatality just this way, the victim was even working with the crew to figure out how to get him back on board -- but still drowned. Something is wrong with this picture.

Every article I read, including the link mentioned here, said the clip failed and he was no longer attached to the boat. That is why folks like Practical Sailor is spending time right now examine tether clips.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:05   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
do you have any links to videos that demonstrate the technique you describe?
It’s easy peasy... the key is to not be tempted to touch the jib sheets, just let the jib backwind and keep your eye on the victim.
Old 30-12-2017, 11:05   #67

@ Dockhead, #60

Thanks, Dockhead :-)! I'm not surprised that you have these things under control. You, and the other "old hands" here, sail boats that for the likes of me, and many novices that come here, are financially out of reach in regard to both buying and equipping.

I made my reply in the hope that novices that pass by will pick up on this wonderful discussion and realize that even in toy boats such as TP the concerns are real, the solutions to the trifecta of problems are well known, and that they can be implemented on a very modest budget, provided you think the problems through in advance, and then, as you so ably argue for, practice with the gear constantly.

As I've said before, MyBeloved didn't come to seafaring till she was of retirement age. And we are still working on her AB status. This thread will be required reading for her ;-0)!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:19   #68

Boat: Tayana 37

I came across this clever product a few years ago. The harness is normally attached to the front of a conventional life jacket: in this case, its attached to the rear, and it flips the MOB onto his/her back. So they don't get dragged along face-down.

https://www.teamomarine.com/collections/all
SV Simple Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:31   #69
cruiser

It seems to me that this same question is raised on this forum every year, asking for answers as to why doesn’t someone come up with an idea or product to solve the problem of people falling overboard and reteival.

Well... some smart people did come up with answers several years ago which include Lifesling, personal epirbs and expedition type drysuits by companies like Ocean Rodeo.

Maybe it’s long overdue for the folks on this forum to climb onboard with these products and ideas the next time we set out.... instead of clinging to the old ways which don’t appear to be working so well.
Old 30-12-2017, 11:33   #70

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

For further reading on MOB matters, I recommend: Lifesling Case Histories, on the internet. A hundred MOB accounts, not all involving Lifesling.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:49   #71

Boat: Leopard 39

This is a really great thread. I'm just a ham and egger, but I'd like my jack lines to make it impossible for me to be washed overboard. I'd rather be thrown against the topsides, and maybe break a bone, than end up in the water being dragged. Jack lines run along the centerline of the vessel make more sense to me.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 12:14   #72

Boat: Tartan 37

I have fallen overboard and the napping crew heard me yelling as I was going over. I was able to grab the leeward lifelines. Being drag at 6 kts, lost hat, glasses and shorts were around my feet. Did a quick stop, and deploy a Lifesling. Back on the boat in under 5. It was light winds, daylight and summer. Two things I will always have on my boat, a Lifesling and a super quick to deploy boarding ladder. That can be launched by someone in the water, underway or at the dock. I personally know of four people who have die falling overboard at a marina and none at sea.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 12:38   #73

@ Kenomac, #63:

Yes of course, Ken, but please see my thanks to Dockhead, #67 :-)

The boat you depict, I take it, is your own. Regrettably we can't all say that the Oyster is our world ;-)! As you know, because I've said it so often, I believe that no man should invest more money in a boat than he can walk away from with smile on his face. And a 20-year old Oyster 53 sells for a million Canuckibux, so perhaps the owners of such boats are not really my target audience :-)

Think of our new friend who'd proposed to "go foreign" in a Grampian 23! So I say again that my hope is that we can make these wonderful discussions accessible for, and relevant to, the novices that pass through here.

The fact is that it takes less than a mouthful of water to drown a man. Coldwater sailors, as you know well, are more likely to drown, when OB, than are those who sail where the coconuts grow. And they are much LESS likely to be able to help themselves once in the drink. Rescue gear is always essential, of course, but in cold water it is even more essential :-)!

I think we owe it to the newbs to discuss what can be done to save the day, and the victim, when bad things happen in a minimal boat such as many newbs will be starting
out on.

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:01   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do Sailors Still Die Being Dragged Along By Their Tethers?

Keno's floating drysuit suggestion is a good one for those sailing in waters N of 40..
However I personally prefer a 4mm wet suit and windsurf boots combined with a close fitting bomber style windproof for bad weather/conditions.
It'll keep me afloat and warm for a few hours.. I can swim well in it and its great for moving around deck in strong winds..
Not for everyone to follow.. just my way.
I worked two winter for a survey company in Poole Harbour quite a few back which involved spending 12hrs a day clambering around tidal estuary waters and mud in weather cold enough to surface freeze parts of the harbour waters in January which required this outfit.. also spent 5 winters working on mooring maintenance again I chose using the wet suit/wind proof but with proper steel toecap boots..
I used to carry a 2L flask of hot water and every couple of hours pour a cupful down my neck front and back.. kept me nice and toasty.

The old hands here may remember me mentioning this back in my early years of membership.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:14   #75

Boat: Valiant 40

I think one answer is that there is no "one size fits all" solution for all circumstances.

In many circumstances a tether is the lesser of two evils, where if you fall off the boat you are a goner. Running downwind in a big boat in a big sea, if you are separated from the boat the chances of them finding you are remote, much less getting you back aboard. And that's in daylight.

As someone who has gone over the side while tethered, it did keep me connected to the boat which in the circumstances was a good thing even though it presented it's own set of challenges (like hanging upside down with my head under water). I can certainly imagine other circumstances where a tether might be lethal.

And I think racing is a poor standard for evaluating the effectiveness of safety gear and processes on a cruising boat. You're pushing hard, accepting a certain level of risk and doing things you might not do on a cruising boat. Of course, most if not all offshore safety regulations have some measure of applicability to cruising boats but the applications can be dramatically different.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail