Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2011, 18:36   #61

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i sit on mine-- is see thru and makes my brane not like it-- so i sit. one leg over each side,toes on bobstay--am working on an idea for a double tether there -- one from each side-- would work forward of forestaysail stay. i would also like to see the pulpit back to the solid part of the deck instead of just a taste on the sprit. makes one rely too much on that which i was taught never to trust-- lifelines-- they fail. stanchions fail. nicely welded pulpits tend to fail less frequently than do the single stanchions, and are good for tethers.
My bow pulpit covers only the last 3 feet of the bow platform (also slotted so it's see-through) and lifelines are all there is between me and the deep. Lifelines are 3/16" bare stainless cable that I've started thinking about parceling and serving but that won't increase strength, just grip. How about netting? I'm not into working my way out the bow platform on my arse and the forestay does provide some balance support so coming off I tend just to "fall" from forestay to inner stay and stumble onto the deck. It's essential to be tethered. But how?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:39   #62

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
As also mentioned by Thinwater, locking climbing biners are great if you are very dilligent in protecting them from corrosion. Otherwise they will lock up in no time. Unfortunately, while climbing gear is generally very well designed and safe, it is not always well suited to use in salt water environment.
I used steel screwgate round the atlantic without many problems. Splash of fresh water after use and a little bit of oil now and again. though they don't look very pretty now With lots of time in the tropics the harness might not have been used for months on end, even after maybe up to a year a bit of oil would free them up again in a few hours. Ali ones didn't fare so well, the white oxide powder seemed to jam them up quickly.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:50   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

liability insurance?

Most likely it's the manufactures liability insurance costs...

Because they save lives and most folks can't sew or don't have the equipment to sew them????

I liken it to mc helmets... Buy one that reflects what you think your life is worth...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07   #64

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Most likely it's the manufactures liability insurance costs...

Because they save lives and most folks can't sew or don't have the equipment to sew them????

I liken it to mc helmets... Buy one that reflects what you think your life is worth...
If I used that as a guidepost, I would have to drive an army suplus tank to work. There must be middle ground where one can be adequetly prudent in the care of one's safety, and financially responsible to one's budget.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
or know what you are doing. and spend the money on new brake pads. and tyres.
Old 07-02-2011, 17:42   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
For that matter why even sail? Stay home in bed.

Life is an assumption of risks. The higher the risk the better the reward, SOMETIMES. There are losers though.

And that's where the educated learn and prosper, knowing the limits in given situations. That education can be looking at a tether and saying "I'll take the risk".

So, the moral of the story is; if you don't know what your looking at, buy the best you can get.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:25   #67
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
So, the moral of the story is; if you don't know what your looking at, buy the best you can get.
I helped scrape up a dead guy once with that philosophy. He had the wrong safety gear, but it was top notch (nice helmet, harness was the wrong size and came off). His Mom didn't know the difference between price and application.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 19:01   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
And all this over 50 Eur worth of pretty useful piece of equipment?

Why are liferafts so expensive then?

After all we can buy some rubber tyres, paint them orange and have ...

;-)))

b.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: