Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 15:44   #31

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You must be getting bored in the horse lats..
Bass Strait is a fierce piece of water for me.
Anyone else with a genius reply?

brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:52   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
I was referring to Carsten sailing the ARC+. He commented from the mid Atlantic. It appears a few kns is all anyone in the rally is making. Sorry for the confusion.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:44   #33

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was referring to Carsten sailing the ARC+. He commented from the mid Atlantic. It appears a few kns is all anyone in the rally is making. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry Cadence. I'm too quick to take offence. The Aussie VA know I'm a fruitcake.
Old 23-11-2016, 03:20   #34

Quote:
Sorry to ask again. Does anybody know where I can buy a very pistol in Australia.
Don't know how do do a new thread so have to use this one.
Anybody know? The Cates may know.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:00   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Brian,

No. And no replacement flares for one, either. I don't know if you can legally import one with flares, either! There are all sorts of rules about what is legal to ship.

If internet purchasing is out, then I think you have to go with what is available from Whitworth's or similar.

However, the way they have the VHF repeater stations set up now, there are VMR contacts all the way from Coastal Patrol Eden through Tamar Sea Rescue and Tas Coast in Hobart, so as long as you have operational VHF, you're covered. There's also SSB coverage. It's only 320 n. mi. from Eden to Wineglass, and there are some earlier places to seek refuge as well. Although you're planning a Jan. 3 departure, I would strongly recommend that if there is not a good weather window for the crossing when you get to Eden that you rest up, and wait for one.

IMHO, the reason the piece of water has such a bad reputation is partly because of currents, and strong wind events, but because of the disastrous Sydney to Hobart Race, which was so publicized. Racers don't usually wait on wx windows, and the skippers of the slower boats, who in that race went into Eden, and anchored and waited for the strongest winds to go by, did just fine, and finished the race. It was a case of good skipper judgment, again, imho.

Ann
Old 23-11-2016, 15:20   #36

Well thanks Ann. I was starting to think that the thread wouldn't be noticed.
So, given what you've said I'll put the thing to bed probably although there is a chandlery in Blackwattle Bay whose core business is the Sydney offshore fishing fleet. If he doesn't know, and I'll go there today, then I'll just forget it.
I was once blown to 10nm east of Tollgate Islands and despite sending 6 red paras up none were reported. So I thought about getting something better.

Thanks for the vhf notes, ssb I don't have and wouldn't be able to drive it anyway.
There are two little islands north of Flinders, Inner and Outer Sisters Islands, and from Gabo to them the distance is much less than Eden-Wineglass.
A Tassie local on Seabreeze forum told me that Feb is probably the best crossing month and my plan was to leave Syd C. early Jan and just chill in Twofold until a good window came up in Feb.

Icom make a very good "stand -alone" ais. In your opinion, would a $1300 investment be a waste of money? I feel that when cliff faces run ais it will be much more useful. Alternatively A Furuno 1623 radar appeals but would look a bit silly on such a small boat. I have 480ah capacity so power isn't a problem.

What say you?
I'll see the chandler shortly, if he knows anything about Very Pistols I'll do a post.

And thanks again for answering..
Cheers Brian.
Old 23-11-2016, 22:35   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

Brian, we've never anchored at The Sisters, have stopped at Babel Is. Sapient Sue on this forum has anchored at the Sisters, and I'm sure would answer a PM if you wanted advance information on the anchorage they used there.

We have some friends with a Vertue 24 who crossed Bass Sts. a few yrs. back, wound up lying to their parachute storm anchor on two separate occasions. I know you're well equipped for anchoring, but will your boat stop when you heave to, and create a slick as she slides sideways? If so, that can be a useful technique to use if you need to rest for a bit.

Apologies to all for the thread drift.

We'll wait to see if the Chandlery at Blackwattle Bay has the scoop on the Very pistols.

ann
Old 24-11-2016, 01:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Brian, we've never anchored at The Sisters, have stopped at Babel Is. Sapient Sue on this forum has anchored at the Sisters, and I'm sure would answer a PM if you wanted advance information on the anchorage they used there.

We have some friends with a Venture 22, who crossed Bass Sts. a few yrs. back, wound up lying to their parachute storm anchor on two separate occasions. I know you're well equipped for anchoring, but will your boat stop when you heave to, and create a slick as she slides sideways? If so, that can be a useful technique to use if you need to rest for a bit.

We'll wait to see if the Chandlery at Blackwattle Bay has the scoop on the Very pistols.

ann
No Ann, no go on Very Pistols. I rang SurvitecRFD, they have a similar thing made by Comet for about $aud100 each per shot. But nothing special, only 46 metres in altitude, fired from a launcher similar to the origional Very Pistol. Only 5 seconds burn time so it depends on the brilliance. Despite being the OZ distributor rfd couldn't give me actual illumination power. There's plenty on the Comet website but still studying.
Any info gleaned could be of use to others so when I have facts I'll post 'em.
Thanks Ann.
Old 24-11-2016, 02:18   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have checked into and out of a lot of countries. On most there is a question if we have a gun or ammo on board to which we answer no. on to next question.

When we do get inspected no one mentioned it until we were leaving Tunisia after our 2nd year there and they saw the flare gun and said next time you must report this. We said so sorry and yes sir we will and we will if we ever go back.

Only place.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 02:19   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Very Pistols are legal in Australia an no license is required.
Does anybody know where I can source one locally, is, within Australia. I don't buy off the internet so overseas purchase is not an option.
Thanks all.
The law governing weapons is a State matter not a commonwealth one, other than for the import. But yes the state legislation I am aware of includes an exemption for, in the case of Queensland for example,

Quote:
being a person over the prescribed age who is the owner, lessee, hirer or licensee of any boat, ship, or aircraft in respect of possession on board or in connection with, that boat, ship or aircraft of a recognised safety device, signalling apparatus or ammunition thereof as part of and solely for the use as part of the safety equipment of that boat, ship or aircraft; or
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 02:49   #41
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

We have some friends with a Venture 22, who crossed Bass Sts. a few yrs. back, wound up lying to their parachute storm anchor on two separate occasions. I know you're well equipped for anchoring, but will your boat stop when you heave to, and create a slick as she slides sideways? If so, that can be a useful technique to use if you need to rest for a bit.

ann
It was this time of year when I crossed Bass Strait... left Port Fairy midday and passed Cape Otway around 6am hung right for Kings Island and its lee in case the winds got back up (had been hiding from 50+kts in Pt Fairy for 3 days..)then hung left for Swan Island.
Early the following morning saw me 1/3rd the way across as the wind died.. started the motor and motored across a glassy sea.. groups of seals and dolphins dashing about.. a lovely crossing at around 5kts.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 02:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It was this time of year when I crossed Bass Strait... left Port Fairy midday and passed Cape Otway around 6am hung right for Kings Island and its lee in case the winds got back up (had been hiding from 50+kts in Pt Fairy for 3 days..)then hung left for Swan Island.
Early the following morning saw me 1/3rd the way across as the wind died.. started the motor and motored across a glassy sea.. groups of seals and dolphins dashing about.. a lovely crossing at around 5kts.
You do know, don't you, that if you wrote a book it'd sell like hot cakes.
Old 24-11-2016, 02:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The law governing weapons is a State matter not a commonwealth one, other than for the import. But yes the state legislation I am aware of includes an exemption for, in the case of Queensland for example,
Yep, ditto nsw. RFD are going to get back to me tomorrow but they don't know much. Mostly just hand held to Whitties. Survitec/RFD are the agents for Comet who do a nice 12# launcher in a kit, having trouble getting availability and prices. The red has 15,000 candelas and massive altitude. Should know tomorrow
Old 24-11-2016, 03:09   #44
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

Quote:
You do know, don't you, that if you wrote a book it'd sell like hot cakes.
Funny enough I wrote a book a few years back.. a doddle to write..
Only trouble was I could not stay awake long enough to finish the editing..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 03:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny enough I wrote a book a few years back.. a doddle to write..
Only trouble was I could not stay awake long enough to finish the editing..
I'll edit it for you for free.
I once wrote/edited a book for a Tibetan Doctor....a legitimate Doctor.
The subject : Tibetan Traditional Medicine.
After that (love) job, editing YOUR life story is a job I'd pay real quids to do.