Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 06:46   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Where to buy Scopolamine patches

I want to add a some Scopolamine patches to our kit, but they are not available in Australia, and my doctor won't give me a script for something not available in Australia.

Can someone tell me a reputable international pharmacy to buy these without script?
Old 30-04-2013, 07:20   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Where to buy Scopolamine patches

Can you get Stugeron down there? We prefer it.
Old 30-04-2013, 07:32   #3

I use Stugeron 15 tablets contain the active ingredient cinnarizine. Much better than Scop and no where near the side effects. This too is not available in Oz but can be bought on ebay I get mine from the UK. Oz Customs always open them but reseal with a note saying they checked and passed the package. Scopolamine can be outright nasty I used it once and wont use it again, fixed the sea sickness but super dry mouth and vision problems with focusing and seeing things that were not their, night vision was zip.
Stugeron Tablets Travel Sicknes s Tablets X 15 Best Price | eBay

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:15   #4

Yes thanks, I did get some Stugeron 2-3 years ago and have plenty left. I am specifically after the Scopolamine patches.
Old 07-05-2013, 23:10   #5

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Yes thanks, I did get some Stugeron 2-3 years ago and have plenty left. I am specifically after the Scopolamine patches.
I have previously bought these from a pharmacy in NZ. I got the phone number from an Internet search, called them and arranged for them to be posted to me in Australia. Can't remember which pharmacy off hand.
I have since found a better option - Escape sea sickness capsules compounded by BOVA pharmacy in Sydney. They contain scopolamine I think plus a number of other ingredients which counteract the side effects. IMO better than the patches.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34   #6

Thanks Gypsyhawk, much appreciated.

I found a pharmacy in NZ (Pharmacy Direct) and have placed an order.

I also called BOVA Pharmacy on their compounded capsules. They would not tell me what was in them, but on your recommendation, I ordered some of them as well.

The Admiral will be pleased.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wanderlust,

When I first wanted to try the ear patches, my doctor at the time advised me to try one for 24 hrs. on land and not drive a car for the time I had it on. It seems that some people have wild reactions to the patches, including hallucinations. For that reason I would not want to use them on someone who had not already experienced it and knew they didn't have a bad reaction.

If your skin can tolerate the adhesive, they can make you absolutely bullet-proof, so to speak.

Yes, Kettlewell, I prefer Stugeron, too, way less side effects for me.

Ann
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Steve-
From experience I can tell you Sturgeron can be useless for some of us, who Scop works for.

In the US scop is also available again in PILL form, under the brand name "Scopace". Many docs are simply not aware it has been on the market again for some years now, so it is possible the compounding pharmacy is making it up as well. If they don't know what is in their pills, odds are it is a voodoo homeopathic remedy.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 16:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Thanks Gypsyhawk, much appreciated.

I found a pharmacy in NZ (Pharmacy Direct) and have placed an order.

I also called BOVA Pharmacy on their compounded capsules. They would not tell me what was in them, but on your recommendation, I ordered some of them as well.

The Admiral will be pleased.
You are welcome. The little blue capsules from BOVA are reputable medicine and have worked well for me and susceptible crew and passengers. Scop patches also work for me with added benefit of some fascinating hallucinations.
Old 11-05-2013, 18:00   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Is that the saem Bova Chemists that are a veterinary supplier in New South Wales??

I just find it hard to believe that a pharmacy could or would be allowed to ocmpound medicine for human use, without also being required to say what was in the compound.

Not that something off the radar can't be perfectly good, but if it is meds, it can interact with other meds, and there's no way to take it safely without knowing what it is. Is there?
Old 11-05-2013, 18:39   #11

Hellosailor, maybe I didn't push hard enough when I enquired what was in them. She did say a couple of herbal remedies (ginger root being one), but that there were a couple of chemical compounds as well. I was asked verbally if I was on medication, had certain conditions, etc.

I agree that they could not include anything that was not already available over the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
When I first wanted to try the ear patches, my doctor at the time advised me to try one for 24 hrs. on land and not drive a car for the time I had it on.
Thanks Ann. These are primarily for my partner. I will encourage her to try the patch at home first and I will as well.

We need a solution otherwise I will be sailing solo. She has tried Stugeron and had only a little improvement. Also, for Stugeron, she tried starting the night before, but with only half a dose. I just read Beth and Evans advice, which was for a double dose the night before.

So with the patches, BOVA compound and higher pre-dose of Stugeron, we now have 3 new approaches to try.
Old 11-05-2013, 18:45   #12

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

Stugeron? I kept thinking you were saying Sturgeon... like in sturgeon eggs. I kept rereading it until I got the spelling figured out. LOL
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:03   #13

Man, everytime I see a thread pop up that mentions scopolamine there are tons of people that pile in offering advice about alternatives and telling us all how bad the side effects of scop can be. I have to say though... Scopolamine changed my life. I've always been prone to motion sickness my whole life. I can hardly read billboards while riding in a car without getting sick.

I tried all the usual remedies and none worked but some made me very drowsy. I tried wrist bands, ginger candies,teas,cookies,pills and more pills and nothing worked. The first day I wore a scopolamine patch literally changed my life.

All the sudden... I was on a boat but I wasn't vomiting. It was the first time that had ever happened in my entire life. Can you imagine the joy?

Sometimes they can agitate my skin a bit, and sometimes I get dry mouth, but they worked for me. And I mean really worked.

So just keep that in mind before you keep throwing stink on scopolamine patches. Different stuff works for different people. I don't think its a bad thing to have in a kit. I mean really... You never know when I might come to visit. And you really don't want me puking in your head do you?
Old 11-05-2013, 19:33   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wanderlust-
Well, scop does come from a plant alkaloid so maybe it is an herbal source for scop for all we know.

Target,
One day I took scop because I was the only one on the boat who thought it might get rough outside. And sure enough, when I said "That smells good, what's for lunch?" everybody else shot me daggers. Oh yeah, my eyes may pop, my heart may explode, I might become a psychotic axe murderer (is there any other kind??) but scop sure is good drugs.<G>
When the FDA pulled it from the OTC market, I put an old traditional curse on the head of the FDA: "May all the camels in Egypt trod upon the toes of both your feet!"
Old 11-05-2013, 19:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Is that the saem Bova Chemists that are a veterinary supplier in New South Wales??

I just find it hard to believe that a pharmacy could or would be allowed to ocmpound medicine for human use, without also being required to say what was in the compound.

Not that something off the radar can't be perfectly good, but if it is meds, it can interact with other meds, and there's no way to take it safely without knowing what it is. Is there?

Ingredients: compounded oral formulation of scopolamine hydrobromide 0.2mg, caffeine 100mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2mg and ginger. For me effective with no side effects at all.

Scopolamine patches also work well for me (the first thing that ever worked for the proverbial sea sick sailor, for joy ) but with unwanted side effects. Also a 3 day patch is rendered ineffective if you decide to go for a swim.

Alan