Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 19:47   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Where to buy Scopolamine patches

Thanks, Alan!

That sounds like a good combination.
Scop, which we know works.
Chlor...etc., which is apparently an antihistamine, which may be similar to one of the ingredients in the NASA cocktail, and antihistamines also work on motion sickness anyway, for some people.
Ginger, which is known and proven to work as a rubificient, which would also amplify other drug circulation.
And caffiene, a stimulant, to counteract any sleepiness from the antihistamine.

I think that's 1/2 the scop of one Scopace pill, do they tell you to take two?

And this is veterinary? <VBG>

By the way, NASA is partnered with some company that is now seeking FDA approval for a scop nasal spray. Supposed to get you dosed & happy within 22 minutes of spraying. I'm hoping the have a mailing list.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:54   #17

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38

http://bovacompounding.com.au

Yes, they do both human and veterinary and also now promote their seasickness compounds.

Alan
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 20:06   #18

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
Post Re: Where to buy Scopolamine patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thanks, Alan!

That sounds like a good combination.
Scop, which we know works.
Chlor...etc., which is apparently an antihistamine, which may be similar to one of the ingredients in the NASA cocktail, and antihistamines also work on motion sickness anyway, for some people.
Ginger, which is known and proven to work as a rubificient, which would also amplify other drug circulation.
And caffiene, a stimulant, to counteract any sleepiness from the antihistamine.

I think that's 1/2 the scop of one Scopace pill, do they tell you to take two?

And this is veterinary? <VBG>

By the way, NASA is partnered with some company that is now seeking FDA approval for a scop nasal spray. Supposed to get you dosed & happy within 22 minutes of spraying. I'm hoping the have a mailing list.
I missed your last question about dosage. I think they state one capsule every 6 hours.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dosage on scop is kinda mysterious, or at least, vague. When I asked a pharmacist about it he said that since it works on the brain not the body, the dosage is not varied by body mass since "all" adult brains are about the same size, so one dose was the starting point for everyone. So little more, a little less...that's another reason I prefer the pill to the patch, where the dosage can't easily be changed.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

There is another down side to the patches, or at least there was about thirty years ago! I was doing lots of single-handed ocean racing out of SF, and was then fairly susceptible to sea sickness. I found that all the available antihistamine based drugs made me too sleepy to be safe, but that the patches made me "bullet-proof", so I was using them frequently. The only immediate side effects were the usual dry mouth and, for me, lurid dreams when sleeping rather than hallucinations while awake. I was willing to put up with that lot for the obvious benefits I gained. Then after a couple of years of such useage I noted that the area where the patch was applied became inflamed and itchy after it was removed. This situation became rapidly worse -- the inflamed area was more persistent and raised up into a big welt. Itched like hell, too. Doctor said it was a reaction to the special adhesive they used to achieve the slow transmission of the drug to the skin, and that I should not continue to use them... it would get worse yet if I did.

It is possible that the adhesive has been improved over the years, and I haven't even needed the patches since I found Stugeron (and spent a lot more time at sea which seems to help too). But, if one is considering long term usage, be aware!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

scopolomine patches look so tres cool behind ones ears when one attends social hours in local cruisers clubs....dont forget to remove when out for cocktails....rodlmao....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:02   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim, I have no idea what adhesive they use but apparently most "medical" adhesives are latex based and latex apparently creates an allergic response in everyone sooner or later. I never had a problem with that until recently, when I started to notice bumps under some adhesive tape. Switched to a different tape, no joy. Switched to a bandage wrap and was still itchy--and found out the bandage had some latex in it to make it stretchy and less sticky. A day or two I can do, but a week with latex, uhuh.

FWIW I think the patches now suggest moving them left to right, alternating spots, in order to minimize that.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35   #23

ALL adhesives, even non medical, are latex based.
ever since i first saw patches used in our profession, they have been to place on alternative sites each use different place.. is true for ntg, analgesics, and scop. that has been over 20 yrs, now. not all professionals tell you to change sites daily, however. it is part of the instructions that rns are supposed to give patients. ditto doctors.

beware also of rubber gloves, as most are latex, and other items, such as boat cushions, foam products, everything has latex. yes the allergy gets worse as you contact latex.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The nice folks at 3M would like to tell you that you've been out of it for too long.

Products:*Comfort Pals

Their bandaids and patches, even the ones without cartoon characters, say LATEX FREE in prominent letters.

They won't be the cheapest ones on the shelf, but they will BE on the shelf in most US pharmacies. Mexico...Everyone says the healthcare there is just as good, right?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:46   #25

Quote:
When the FDA pulled it from the OTC market, I put an old traditional curse on the head of the FDA: "May all the camels in Egypt trod upon the toes of both your feet!"

I too put an arabic curse on him. "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits."
Old 12-05-2013, 13:05   #26

in mexico one cannot buy sudafed nor anything hypoallergenic..lol....and the mexican bandaids suk...rags and electrical tape work better..lol

but the rest rocks....
Old 13-05-2013, 11:18   #27

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post

Ingredients: compounded oral formulation of scopolamine hydrobromide 0.2mg, caffeine 100mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2mg and ginger. For me effective with no side effects at all.

Scopolamine patches also work well for me (the first thing that ever worked for the proverbial sea sick sailor, for joy ) but with unwanted side effects. Also a 3 day patch is rendered ineffective if you decide to go for a swim.

Alan
I'll be ordering some today, I'm glad they work for you, hoping the same applies for my grew

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:46   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Glenn-
All kidding aside, do read the list of warnings and contraindications on the scop, because they can be quite serious. Let your crew also read them ahead of time to decide, while they are still clear-headed, if any of them will be a problem.

It is best tried first at home, on land, where any problems can be dealt with easily.
Old 13-05-2013, 11:48   #29

btw--if you ever need the scop patches in mexico--they are available in farmacia and otc. easy to obtain in moderation.
Old 14-05-2013, 00:14   #30

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Glenn-
All kidding aside, do read the list of warnings and contraindications on the scop, because they can be quite serious. Let your crew also read them ahead of time to decide, while they are still clear-headed, if any of them will be a problem.

It is best tried first at home, on land, where any problems can be dealt with easily.
Thanks for your concern, I'm going to buy the pills from bovacompounding, but like you said I will try them on land before we leave.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote