Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 20:25   #136

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

If you leave from Hawaii for San Francisco, sailing north first to get up around the north pacific high, you may find, as we did once, that with a cyclone off Mexico, the gales get sucked south. We had 19 days of gale force or higher on a 24 day passage, having left at the end of Sept. (Which, to give Mark his due, is both late in the season for that voyage, and north of 20, almost the whole way, or all the way, depending on where you left from. It was not the best trip planning, and then, we did not want to lose our hard earned northing, although it would have led to a more comfortable passage to have done so. We had a shortwave receiver. The Coast Guard reported the seas in our area to be 22 ft., and this is only about 7 m. Waves can get lots bigger.

Ann
Old 21-02-2016, 20:39   #137

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If you leave from Hawaii for San Francisco, sailing north first to get up around the north pacific high, you may find, as we did once, that with a cyclone off Mexico, the gales get sucked south. We had 19 days of gale force or higher on a 24 day passage, having left at the end of Sept. (Which, to give Mark his due, is both late in the season for that voyage, and north of 20, almost the whole way, or all the way, depending on where you left from. It was not the best trip planning, and then, we did not want to lose our hard earned northing, although it would have led to a more comfortable passage to have done so. We had a shortwave receiver. The Coast Guard reported the seas in our area to be 22 ft., and this is only about 7 m. Waves can get lots bigger.

Ann
24 days, was that your first boat that you mentioned in a thread a while back? (I am blanking out on the make now..)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 21:08   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
A) a gale is 35 knots
B) much higher than 20n to 20s
C) Yes you can do it in the PNW or Tasmania. And around Capebof Good Hope. The Horn is a little more tricky and I wouldn't do it.

So instead of just poo-pooing my way just think is there a time in any area that does not have 3 day gales? YES.

So work it.

If there ain't no safe time I don't go there

Re Cheeky: As you know, Phil, I advocate going later and further south of the Azores. Mind you I haven't tested it. Yet

Mark
Mark don't take offence of this. I see the reason you don't want to sail in less than "excellent " conditions its your boat. Now the bene is a good looking boat but I wouldn't want to take it into any freshining weather either with the underwater profile it has. Now I wouldn't intentionally head out into a storm but a freshining gale is not a real issue for me or my spencer. It takes some reasonably good winds to have real fun with her.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 21:18   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Even the PNW has a time to sail
I don't have the pilot charts so I pulled Jimmy Cornel off the shelf:

Alaska to British Columbia
Best Time June- August
Tropical Storms: None
"Gales are rare in summer"
"The sailing season in Alaska is so brief..."

So with your local knowledge their will be a time better than any other to do the passage. The window may be short. But its the window the prudent sailor will use
And if there is a game it will be shorter and less intense than a winter gale.
June to August Ok well, last august we had the worst summer wind storm on record hurricane force winds for 36 hours
Tropical storms no well we aren't in the tropics so no is correct
One more thing is the fact that we tend to sail/cruise here year round.
We do however do get the reminents of most typhoons after they rebuild crossing and transiting the gulf of Alaska.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 21:25   #140

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
24 days, was that your first boat that you mentioned in a thread a while back? (I am blanking out on the make now..)
Answering for Ann who is napping...

Yes that was in Insatiable I, which was a Standfast 36, IOR one-tonner, designed by Franz Maas and built by Palmer Johnson in Wisconsin.

Jim
Old 22-02-2016, 02:06   #141

Boat: Nauticat 32

water sailing">Blue water sailing can be defined based on distance to land.

A good blue water boat can be defined based on the properties of the boat. You can define "boat" also as a combination of the boat, crew, equipment and supplies.

A good blue water sailor can be defined as a person who masters blue water sailing. Your skills and understanding may improve if you sail through severe storms. But the main rule is that you should avoid those storms. A good blue water sailor may thus have lots of miles behind him/her but less storms than you would expect. Points to MarkJ on this.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 03:33   #142

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I remember an article many years ago about the technicians at HOOD who developed shackles, sails, and offshore equipment and that would sail a sturdy sailboat and a sturdy crew out into BlueWater (may miles offshore) intentionally looking for storms to test their equipment in bad conditions. In fact when they saw a storm approaching that's what they headed for.

They were trying to design Bluewater worthy boats, equipment, etc. for the market and needed to test it in real conditions.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 04:23   #143

Quote:

Ann
I sure remember those days. We had a little HF receiver and we got weather 10 minutes after the hour on the same freq that we got the time ticks to calibrate our watch. They would tell you the lat and long of the highs and lows and their pressures. I'd lay tracing paper over the planning chart and draw my own weather map. What a treat we have these days, not that many people crossing oceans back then compared to these days, thanks for the story.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 04:51   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Anyway... a Blue Water sailboat is a tough boat... a coastal sailboat is a wuss's boat which should stay in a small lake so you can't spill your cocktails....lol

(just to stir the pot a bit....)

So someone who sails a "Bluewater" boat coastal is a wuss and someone who sails a "coastal" boat Bluewater is tough 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-02-2016, 04:54   #145
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Mark don't take offence of this. I see the reason you don't want to sail in less than "excellent " conditions its your boat. Now the bene is a good looking boat but I wouldn't want to take it into any freshining weather either with the underwater profile it has. Now I wouldn't intentionally head out into a storm but a freshining gale is not a real issue for me or my spencer. It takes some reasonably good winds to have real fun with her.
Of course its offensive to slag someone's boat. But it's allowed on this forum.
So go right ahead and say what misinformed crap you like.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 04:58   #146
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
. We had 19 days of gale force or higher on a 24 day passage, having left at the end of Sept. (Which, to give Mark his due, is both late in the season for that voyage, and north of 20, almost the whole way, or

Ann
Hi Ann,

Then it was NOT the right season. LATE IS LATE!

20 deg n/s is not relevant. See my bit re Alaska. Alaska is not 20deg n/s

Frankly, I doubt 19 days above 34 knots. If it was then you could well take note of my method

Mark
Old 22-02-2016, 05:11   #147

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I guess if you own one of those French "Hunter's... a Beneteau or Jeneau you have to be brave as hell in one of those floating marshmallows or pick your weather like a sailing instructor teaching 8 year olds how to sail an Optima...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:17   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
I guess if you own one of those French "Hunter's... a Beneteau or Jeneau you have to be brave as hell in one of those floating marshmallows or pick your weather like a sailing instructor teaching 8 year olds how to sail an Optima...
Only if its one's Own Boat...
Usually find 'Zero's to Hero's' on someone else's dime... that's why most racers suck cruising.. its the polar opposite to their mindset..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:28   #149

Quote:
Hi Ann,

Then it was NOT the right season. LATE IS LATE!

20 deg n/s is not relevant. See my bit re Alaska. Alaska is not 20deg n/s

Frankly, I doubt 19 days above 34 knots. If it was then you could well take note of my method

Mark
Mark your bit about Alaska is coastal cruising in mostly protected waters so you can't or shouldn't extend that info from Jimmy Cornell to mean the offshore route from Hawaii back to either Alaska or BC. While September is on the backside of the season it certainly is not outside of what is considered a good time to sail that leg. September is the ideal month to leave either Alaska or BC to head south to California and points south of that. You get less fog than summer months and better winds.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:36   #150
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:

Yes, as I said, insulting peoples boats is fine on this forum.

Weird forum. 'Be nice' but insulting is fine.

Tags
enc, water