Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 05:10   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Based on what people are doing in the real world, as opposed to debating on the internet, there is almost no difference between what boats are suitable for coastal and blue water. The real differences are between how the boats are equipped, whether they are an IP or a Bene.
Hoppy, personally i think you have suggested what im starting to think.

Someone suggested their insurance only lets them travel to 50nm. Mine and my previous insurance both let me sail to 200nm which is to Australias economic zone.

By law here, once you leave the sheltered waters or bays and rivers, then the same safety eqipment is required whether your 10 miles out or 200 miles out.

snowpetrol (i think it was) made the suggestion, it depends on the crew? Maybe.

And early on there seemed confusion around the terms, 'coastal', 'blue water' and 'cruisier' ? Im not sure how a distiction occured. I would have thought 'cruising' is what you do, not where you go. Not sure though.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:00   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Ive taken this topic from another thread which i didnt want to hijack.

It seems to me people have differences in understanding in what is Coastal Cruising, what is Ocean Cruising, and the what the safety needs of the vessel, contents, build is for each.

Comments
Coastal cruising boat: A boat built to a minimum acceptable standard which will fulfill the needs of most users.

Blue Water or Ocean cruiser: Built to a higher standard with oversized fittings and build quality for the few who plan on spending significant time offshore making long passages. Sometimes far away from the reach of rescue personnel.

Basically... What the Boatman wrote, but I'll add that the difference can be easily seen at any boat show by those shoppers with an open mind. In car speak... A Kia would NOT be considered the same as a long haul diesel truck. Both will get you from point A to point B, but the long haul in most cases will outlast and outperform the Kia in a blinding Midwestern snow storm driving down a very long, lonely stretch of highway packed full of heavy gear or pulling a trailer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Hoppy, personally i think you have suggested what im starting to think.

Someone suggested their insurance only lets them travel to 50nm. Mine and my previous insurance both let me sail to 200nm which is to Australias economic zone.

By law here, once you leave the sheltered waters or bays and rivers, then the same safety eqipment is required whether your 10 miles out or 200 miles out.

snowpetrol (i think it was) made the suggestion, it depends on the crew? Maybe.

And early on there seemed confusion around the terms, 'coastal', 'blue water' and 'cruisier' ? Im not sure how a distiction occured. I would have thought 'cruising' is what you do, not where you go. Not sure though.
Okay.. a 'coastal cruiser' would be very unlikely to sail from NZ to Oz.. and in Oz many balk at the Gt Bight.
Its not just down to the boat or where one goes..
Its down to the mind set of the owner/skipper as to whether Coastal becomes Ocean.. and to some of these types, the desire for the destination overrides the choice of boat considered suitable to the other 95%..
These discussions are circum-navigable.. just go round and round..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:08   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Yep, because so many so called coastal cruisers have been built up just a bit and used as Water boats">blue water boats

Bristol 22
Contessa 26
Bristol 27
Vega 27
Lapworth 24
Triton 28

Looking at this list does it indicate that older boats were simply built better and stronger than the newer ones? That is to say more suitable for conversion to blue water quality boat
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:15   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yep, because so many so called coastal cruisers have been built up just a bit and used for blue water sailing:

Bristol 22
Contessa 26
Bristol 27
Catalina 27
Vega 27
Lapworth 24
Triton 28
To my mind if in well maintained condition all of those are capable enough without the 'Build up'.. just a dash of common sense and seamanship.

And.. a dash of insanity tossed in to make life interesting..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 20-02-2016, 06:17   #36
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Ive taken this topic from another thread which i didnt want to hijack.

It seems to me people have differences in understanding in what is Coastal Cruising, what is Ocean Cruising, and the what the safety needs of the vessel, contents, build is for each.

Comments
The Captain.

- Zeb
Old 20-02-2016, 06:18   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

Especially when we have had the discussion 3,000,000,0000000000000000000 times before and the only reason why they are reposted is the person is a newby or someone is on a fishing expedition.

So I will save you the effort: ALL PEOPLE WHO SAIL A BENETEAU WILL DIE!

Over and o.u.t.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:37   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

What's the difference:

bait

It depends on what you want the internet to bite on. But I've seen this bait a few times now and it appears to not be as effective as in the past.
Old 20-02-2016, 07:25   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Especially when we have had the discussion 3,000,000,0000000000000000000 times before and the only reason why they are reposted is the person is a newby or someone is on a fishing expedition.

I am a Newby and I have never started a thread like this. Lol

( and by I'm a Newby I'm serious that's my last name)
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:33   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I am a Newby and I have never started a thread like this. Lol

( and by I'm a Newby I'm serious that's my last name)
Don't sweat it mate..
He's S'trallian...

Old 20-02-2016, 07:41   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Don't sweat it mate..
He's S'trallian...
Hey I don't sweat it a bit actually I think its kinda funny after a career in the navy believe me I've heard it all. I usually just chuckle and move on kinda like the best inside joke. I usually don't say anything. Most people spell it newbie when referring to the new guy. So rare to have it with my names spelling. That's all ( with a name like mine you gotta have a sense of humor)
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:16   #42

In the old days, offshore or blue water sailing meant you were rigged for all weather conditions. Otherwise no difference. Coastal schooners usually had shallow drafts and limited living spaces. Offshore schooners had suitable living quarters, deep drafts, and rigs for whatever they might encounter.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:26   #43

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

A true Blue water vessel can take green water completely over the bow and get hammered in a gale. A needs a cockpit that empties water fast once inundated by a large wave over the transom, rigging that can take the stress in a knockdown, backup systems, Single Sideband radio, Ocean EPIRBS, Ocean survival emergency life raft, strong hull construction, storm sails and green water safe ports and hatches. A coastal sailboat needs to pick its weather and run to port if the weather gets over 20 knots.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:39   #44

Quote:
Your a tough customer, seriously do you not give any credence to the CE ratings??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:55   #45

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I would say the difference is not so much in the vessel but the greater need for self sufficiency and self reliance especially in your ability to affect repairs to everything aboard including yourselves.

Both circumstances require similarly seaworthy vessels. The vessel going well offshore should in no way plan on the help of others to augment their lack of preparedness.

If I were to give preference over one design or another, I would look for a vessel with greater storage capacity for long passages especially greater tankage capacity and a rudder supported top and bottom. Just about everything else can be adapted one to the other.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, water