Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 09:26   #181
cruiser

Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In my opinion the only thing different between a true coastal boat and bluewater boat is tankage, storage, and rigging (probably not unless someone did something stupid along the way). After that I believe it is more about fit out items and crew decisions.

Nope, not even close. I've sailed in bad weather on both, the blue water tank wins hands down.

I know I didn't get my boat based on any bluewater thing, but I don't doubt it will handle it MUCH better than I will.

Yes, the boat will handle much better than most sailors who are used to coastal cruising.... where tucking into sheltered marinas when the going gets tough, or anything above 25knots is the norm.

I hope to never find out, but the decisions I make before and during the event are going to be the deciding factors.

Absolutely true. I hope that you never need to find out the fallacy in the notion that all boats are the same except for the quality of the seat cushions kinda logic. The decisions made prior to a weather event will be the deciding factor.. You will need to avoid gales and storms. But... It's also nice to know your boat is built to handle Force 10 should the need arise.
My comments are not made to be inflammatory. My opinions are what they are coming from six years of cruising experience, and having run into unexpected foul weather from time to time. Weather which was not in the forecast.

Marj has been very luck in this regard. Not everyone is as lucky.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:40   #182
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Attachment 119462

I'm guessing this qualified at one time as a BWC.
Brings to mind two Yankees in Camelot.. opps.!! I mean Cornwall..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:55   #183

[QUOTE=robert sailor;2051928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Lots of very vague and non-descript definitions.

Exactly how strong must a boat be to survive a gale offshore for 2-3 days? This is where it gets messy. Usually this is just shorthand for an overbuilt, very slow full keel boat with very limited living spaces. Unless you put specifications to it, it's a pretty meaningless definition.

Also, even the toughest built boats can go down in a gale, so technically, no boat can meet that standard. Reality is it's an odds game and the odds are very favorable for most modern cruising vessels north o 30' long.[/QUOTE

Our opinions are very different..any decent offshore boat should easily survive a gale that lasted for 2 or 3 days. Fin keel spade rudder included
You've still left it vague. What exactly is strong enough? So if a boat can handle 3day of gale that's good but if it can't handle a 4 day gale...it's still good? How exactly do you measure the gale strength of a boat?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 20:08   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I would consider this boat to be a true blue water cruiser . And it is not cramped or lacking for comforts. Also I know for a fact it will do 11 knots in a force 7 near gale with full main and a 100% working jib Mich more wind than that and I loose speed ( have to shorten sail)
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3196
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 21:31   #185

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I would expect bith a blue water and a coastal to take more than three days in a gale
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 21:38   #186

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, if the boat survives one day of gale or storm force winds at sea, the boat will likely continue to survive indefinitely. The crew will perhaps have incremental loss of energy and will to go on, and will more likely be the weak link in a prolonged storm situation.

Jim
Old 24-02-2016, 03:39   #187

There is difference between A Coastal Cruising and Blue Water Suitable Vessel..
For getting details about Coastal Skipper certificate check the link Kustskepparintyget - Navigationsgruppen
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:44   #188

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna09 View Post
There is difference between A Coastal Cruising and Blue Water Suitable Vessel..
For getting details about Coastal Skipper certificate check the link Kustskepparintyget - Navigationsgruppen
Its in a funny unknown language with lots of big funny words
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:57   #189
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Also I know for a fact it will do 11 knots in a force 7 near gale with full main and a 100% working jib
Guess I'll never be bluewater if to do so I'm expected to carry full sail in Force 7
Old 24-02-2016, 04:23   #190

Difference is a bit fuzzy or gray... Offshore vessels are almost always equipped with more communication and safety gear... liferafts, drogues, jack lines, storm sails, water maker, self steering, solar or wind power. The vessels themselves tend to be more robust hull construction, use heavier sail cloth, standing rigging, cockpit protection.. and carry way more spares, tools, fuel and water!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 04:44   #191
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Difference is a bit fuzzy or gray... Offshore vessels are almost always equipped with more communication and safety gear... liferafts, drogues, jack lines, storm sails, water maker, self steering, solar or wind power. The vessels themselves tend to be more robust hull construction, use heavier sail cloth, standing rigging, cockpit protection.. and carry way more spares, tools, fuel and water!
Regarding the Bene's.. having owned an '87 French built 321 and a few years later an American built '01 Bene 331.. I have over time wondered if the US boats are built to a lighter spec.. being mainly for the E. Coast and Caribbean market.. whilst the La Rochelle factory produces a tougher build to cope with waters N of 50*..
One reason is the personal experience of the aft cabin bunk collapsing onto the prop shaft one night.. everything was undersized.. mind I had the same problem with my Hunter 37c.. seems the thought is if they can sink 3 threads that'll do.. till you hit 5 days of F5-6 and lumpy sea's..
The 321.. apart from a shroud popping (which I knew was dodgy before I left) was like a brick **** house in comparison.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:59   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Guess I'll never be bluewater if to do so I'm expected to carry full sail in Force 7
That post was mostly aimed at the post about heavy full keel being slow. No you don't need to carry full sail in a force 7 most people do reef when it hits force 6 or so but I was having fun and pushing the boat a bit .
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:14   #193
cruiser

Quote:
That post was mostly aimed at the post about heavy full keel being slow. No you don't need to carry full sail in a force 7 most people do reef when it hits force 6 or so but I was having fun and pushing the boat a bit .
To offer a more complete answer to sailorboy, we reef (actually furl) in our sails continuously or let them out to match the conditions and wind angle. I know it's not quite so easy with slap reefing, but one of the joys of in mast furling and hydraulic jib furling is that it's just a matter of pushing a button and letting a line in or out, and the job is done in 10 seconds. Certainly there's no reason to have full sails up in force 7 unless you're "having some fun."

On a side note, I'd like to ask sailorboy if he has any plans to explore the Med over the next few years while the euro is weak against the dollar and the price of fuel is lower than it has been for many years? We saw many more Americans over in Italy last season than in past years.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:54   #194
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
No you don't need to carry full sail in a force 7 most people do reef when it hits force 6 or so but I was having fun and pushing the boat a bit .
I have a different word for flying full sail in Force 7 conditions.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:34   #195

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
That has nothing to do with seaworthiness but it will tell you that the boat will be really slow with light winds and will need at least 8 k wind to sail properly.

In fact having to carry a lot of sail in heavy weather, to have the power to sail the boat, is not good at all in what regards safety: huge forces involved regarding stressing the material and a much more difficult job for the one that is taking care of the sails.

Even taking the first reef with F6 is way too much and again will not tell anything about the boat stability and stiffness, only that probably the boat will have a low SA/D by modern standards.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, water