Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 01:12   #46
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,826
Images: 2
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Here's a web page on jacklines... I still prefer sheeted stainless wires.
I had this type since... 1976 & NEVER stepped/triped on them. Also: Mine are against the roof... how can I put them further inboard ?
Jacklines For Voyaging Sailboats
Practicality dictates much in this matter. Depends much how the hardware and running rigging are set on the deck. I'd try have jacklines running from the cabin top rear to the mast, closer to centerline as much as possible, but as Ann said it, "not a perfect world"
__________________

__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:01   #47
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Practicality dictates much in this matter. Depends much how the hardware and running rigging are set on the deck. I'd try have jacklines running from the cabin top rear to the mast, closer to centerline as much as possible, but as Ann said it, "not a perfect world"
SURE... and how do you hook up from the safety of the cockpit BEFORE stepping on deck ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldSalt.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	98385  
__________________

__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:38   #48
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,826
Images: 2
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
SURE... and how do you hook up from the safety of the cockpit BEFORE stepping on deck ?
Well, the rear of the cabin top is right over the companion way so I don't see a problem here.. Of course if there's a wide bridge deck so that migh make a difference.


ps. or a dodger..
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09   #49
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Well, the rear of the cabin top is right over the companion way so I don't see a problem here.. Of course if there's a wide bridge deck so that migh make a difference. ps. or a dodger..
Guess what... In the sailboat size I can affoard, a dodger is a must
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundance-StMartin.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	98387  
__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23   #50
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

I'm surprised nobody has suggested having several guns on board.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:04   #51
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Watertight integrity is my number one concern. Which means through hull inspections and maintenance.
Next on my list is a properly tuned rig, so my mast doesn't blow over.
Falling in the water is of course a major concern.
The next item I would say is fire. I have a fixed fire fighting system in my engine compartment (heat activated) and always lots of extinguishers.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:19   #52
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm surprised nobody has suggested having several guns on board.
When I was sailing non stop, I had a small 410 I used to hunt with... last time, t'was in the deserted island of Eiao one of the northernmost Marquesas islands... not tolerated any more I shot a wild pig & a wild goat... They were real tasty but real tough... kind of Olympic grade marathoners... I also used the 410 with the help of a swiss friend sailor & his 12 gage to arrest the mf who had stolen my dinghy... mf ended up in the jail hospital with coarse salt in his business class
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoxHunting.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	98402  
__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:00   #53
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Watertight integrity is my number one concern. Which means through hull inspections and maintenance.
Next on my list is a properly tuned rig, so my mast doesn't blow over.
Falling in the water is of course a major concern.
The next item I would say is fire. I have a fixed fire fighting system in my engine compartment (heat activated) and always lots of extinguishers.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
What's 'a fixed fire fighting system' entail ?
What's it cost? And why is it necessary over fire extinguishers?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:08   #54
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What's 'a fixed fire fighting system' entail ?
What's it cost? And why is it necessary over fire extinguishers?
Fixed units are mounted in the engine compartment and are set off automatically by excessive heat. Similar to a sprinkler system in an office building.

I wouldn't say they are necessary. Most new production boats have a little nozzle hole to the engine compartment for your portable co2 extinguisher.

Fixed ones use Halon (older ones, no longer available- but very effective), or FM200. No doubt you can buy co2 as well. They're not cheap. They start at around $700 for a tiny engine compartment (like a 10 hp motor sized compartment).

You can think of a fixed system like an automatic bilge pump. No user input required. So if you're up town getting groceries or passed out after a night of dancing it will still put out the fire.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:37   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

priotities???
floatation and bubba
communication and bubba
water for me n bubba
food for me n bubba
litter for bubba is included in floatation.. he has litter or i floats away..he may push me ob, as he is huge and ye dont argue with bubba.....
GOOOOD kitty kitty
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:42   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

rats it wont let me edit--i forgot propulsion--it ranks up there with floatation and bubba and communication
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:17   #57
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Fixed units are mounted in the engine compartment and are set off automatically by excessive heat. Similar to a sprinkler system in an office building.

I wouldn't say they are necessary. Most new production boats have a little nozzle hole to the engine compartment for your portable co2 extinguisher.

Fixed ones use Halon (older ones, no longer available- but very effective), or FM200. No doubt you can buy co2 as well. They're not cheap. They start at around $700 for a tiny engine compartment (like a 10 hp motor sized compartment).

You can think of a fixed system like an automatic bilge pump. No user input required. So if you're up town getting groceries or passed out after a night of dancing it will still put out the fire.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cheers, I didn't know if such of such systems on sail boats. If you have a diesel, what's the 'need'? Is a fire likely to occur in your engine bay when it's cold?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:52   #58
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Cheers, I didn't know if such of such systems on sail boats. If you have a diesel, what's the 'need'? Is a fire likely to occur in your engine bay when it's cold?
I'm not sure it's really a need to have. Its just an upgrade that improves your boats survivability in a case of fire. I guess you could call it a seaworthyness upgrade, like side impact airbags on a car.

Yes, you are correct, their isn't a lot in my engine compartment aside from the diesel engine, I would say a fire when the engine was cold is very unlikely.
I personally motor much more then I sail. Partially because the wind conditions on the great lakes suck in the summer time, and partially because my destination is usually a half day or whole days motor across the lake - but would take much longer to sail.

It's not uncommon for me to wheel the boat out of the club, set the autopilot, then go do something else for 6 or 8 hours before I drop out of hyperspace and reach my destination and become an active participant in boating again.

So, when the engine runs hard like that all day, in stinking hot weather- the risk of fire in my engine compartment is a concern for me.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:06   #59
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
.................It's not uncommon for me to wheel the boat out of the club, set the autopilot, then go do something else for 6 or 8 hours before I drop out of hyperspace and reach my destination and become an active participant in boating again.............
That doesn't sound very safe to me.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:46   #60
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That doesn't sound very safe to me.
Well somebody keeps an eye out for traffic and plots a position on the chart every hour or so. But I'm by no means sailing.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Order of priorities? Greenhand Monohull Sailboats 1 21-05-2014 21:48
Just When You Think You're Safe . . . CRASH ! Mr B Seamanship & Boat Handling 178 29-07-2013 09:32
Would you have or do you have a yeti solar got seashells? Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 23-07-2013 08:40
Datastream Priorities bdbcat OpenCPN 11 23-11-2012 01:29
Staying Cool in Galley Chuteman Provisioning: Food & Drink 14 13-10-2006 23:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.