Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: What is a remote gas tap?

Safe Boat Propane Installations

Old 01-01-2019, 18:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Completely unsuitable, thats just some cheaparsed air solenoid valve with no Gas rating....

Where are you based? the country you reside in will dictate what you are to comply with, alarms, auto shutoff etc......
Ok point taken, Thanks :-) I definitely can't see a gas specification even though it says its CE certified and can be used with gas - ill print the specs out for the gas engineer also. it was worth a punt at £5 though. failing all of this I will just go with the Signal one or an RV one another user mentioned.

Thanks again

zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 18:55   #18

So...who put the 'BANG' in bang-good.com??

What that el cheapo is designed for ...'WIC Valve 2ACK series 2-way normally closed solenoid valve is to control On/Off of air and inert gas.'

That said I use ones such as shown in the OP but I pay nothing like that price...

I'm using the plural here cos they tend to have ferrous bits ... they can be made to live a bit longer by varnishing the nickel coated bits before instalation....

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 18:57   #19
Sempre Avanti

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
If "cheaping out" is not using a branded marine item then yes I am considering it.

The specifications of the Solenoid I listed above seem to say it is gas as shown below:

Specification :

Model Number : 2ACK-1/4-12VDC-G
Valve Type : 2 Way Normally Closed (Valve opens with energized)
Service Media : Air, Gas, Liquid, Water
Operation Model : Direct Acting

Yes, I am fully aware of the problems with gas, It will be fitted by a professional BUT I am not willing to pay for the inflated costs that gas engineers sometimes charge for parts when I can buy it myself for 10 euros.

Another member pointed out one for around 35 euros also which is for RVs

So yes I am buying the parts myself and then getting it sorted out by a qualified gas engineer.

Although.... FYI

The boat already has a gas shut off point on the regulator on the gas bottle it also has a secondary turn off point on the pipe under the stove and It is not a required item for the civilized country I sail in - So I think even if I was to add this solenoid myself to the canister in the well ventilated external locker. I really don't believe it could make it any less safe than changing the gas bottle and not screwing it on tight enough. All it is is an extra barrier on top of what is already present.. again, of course, I would carry on turning off all of the other valves as normal.

But thank you for your brash input.
Please read the description fully, when it mentions Gas it is referring to INERT Gas only....

Edit: Sorry slow connection here, you already got it and others pointed it out...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30   #20

I can't be certain, but I believe it's when you tap yourself on top of your head, and it causes you to pass gas.
Hope this helps.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:51   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Also the wiring of the solenoid should be done carefully and propperly to prevent sparks, shortcuts or bad contacts / heat in the gas locker. There are guidelines and regulations for explosion protection on wirings, the through-hull for the wires must be sealed to prevent gas from entering cavities of the vessel too. Let a pro do it, he must any way check the plumbing, hoses, regulators and flame-out protection on the installation on a regular base and replace hoses and regulator after the EOL date and sign off the installation.

Tags
remote