Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 23:26   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: What do you Wear Underneath?

I like em. squishy rubbery bottoms and softer flexible waterproof fabric uppers. They drawstring around my calf over the inner gaiters of my pants and make a pretty good barrier.

As a scuba diver I never assume I will stay dry, so I try to plan on staying warm while wet...

But I keep my duck boots for the dog parks and the fields...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:36   #32

I agree! Marine clothing is great even on the mountain. I love the new BR1 XVR Jacket from Musto as you can use it all year round. In the summer you wear it without the lining when in the winter you can just add the Crew XVR Fleece Jacket to it.
DannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:24   #33

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I mostly use mountaineering/skiing clothing for sailing also. If it gets really cold, first a layer of woolpower underwear (merino wool, not as smelly as synthetics). Over that a light Patagonia Polartec R1 fleece (they are great, as the outside is moving easily against the next layer). Then different mid layers, depending on temp, normally a Primaloft jacket, sometimes 2. As top layer lightweight Gore-Tex active. Mountaineering/ski gloves and different beanies. Synthetic socks.

My lightweight down clothing stays at home.

I own marine heavy weather clothing also, but I find them much too heavy.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 09:21   #34

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Underneath my jacket? A slightly oversized, 7 mm (10 mm better) thick neoprene diving long john. Make sure it's got a front zipper that can be opened from either side, so you don't have to take it off for relief, and calf zippers for easy donning. Relatively inexpensive, will keep you warm, comportable, cushy to sit on. It will provide lots of buoyancy on a MOB event, and wont prevent you swimming!! Underneath your jacket, and on top of the long john, you can wear all the fleeces and woolies you want.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 14:31   #35

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Wool thermals, then as many layers of cheap or worn out fleece as I need to stay warm. Typically I might have 1 layer of fleece tracksuit pants if it's cold on my legs and a thin base layer of fleece with a thicker fleece jacket if needed. A fair bit of my heat regulation is done with gloves, scarfes and beanies, plus movement.

I usually just recycle old gear. The same fleece jacket I bought on sale from Kathmandu 12 years ago is still perfect for this even though it is very scruffy.

I avoid any of the windfleece gear, it just doesn't breathe under wet weather gear.
Old 29-09-2018, 14:43   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I liked wool, but go tiered of the long drying times.

The problem with fleece is stink, so I tend to go for a cotton tee unless I REALLY expect loosy weather, inwhich case it's wool next to the skin.

Otherwise, as Snowpetrel says, cheap fleece is much the same, so long as the cut moves well. I like layers that can double as cabin and shoreside wear when practical.

I like Windblocker fleece, but not as an under layer. I have a set of bibs and a jacket that I love for dry cold weather. One advantage it does have is that it gives MUCH better hypothermia protection in the water than plain fleece; kayakers will su[port this, and I went in 1C water with windblocker fleece once; it was cold, but it really helped, almost like a really thin wet suit (the outfit had good Velcro ankle and wrist bands.

If it is really going to be cold sh_t weather, I like a Goretex drysuit. Totally dry. There is a reason these are catching on for ocean racing. Also good for kayaking and safe in the dinghy. And safe to work on the boat, in the water, in the winter (you will want to add a dive hood for the later).