Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13   #31

Boat: Custom
Re: What Do You Do if 'this' Happens to You ?

Thanks everyone.

In the 2 months ( now) I was in hospital I think they gave me every antibiotic known to man.

Even though they caught it early, some of the first antibiotics didnt do much. Here is a summary of where we are now. They tell me things will improve but hey lets hope.
  1. loss of 12% of sight in left eye and 9% in right.
  2. Some memory loss
  3. major increase in back and leg pain
  4. right foot drop
  5. flare up of a few long gone isssues with my thyroid (from all the iodine in the MRI contrasts)
  6. More ongoing medication than I care to think about (some of which has horrible side effects)

Life is still good, i have a great family, christmas etc.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

They do tell me to not lose hope, keep trying, but they are now saying things like you need to learn to live with this far more often as well, so I guess we are reaching a point, albeit slowly.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:27   #32

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Having done thousands of spinal taps without a complication, that above is a little offensive, as well as the automatic assumption that the person doing the procedure is at fault, and that "you should be resting in your new yacht". Complications from spinal taps are rare, but they are present in a small percentage, the most common one being a spinal headache. If you do not want health care at all, just expect all the doctors and nurses to be perfect. I think that is why the US is now off the top 10 for medical care.
I agree. There is always an element of risk in any medical proceedure, no matter how minor or uninvasive.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:33   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123;83422[LIST=1
[*]loss of 12% of sight in left eye and 9% in right.[*]Some memory loss[*]major increase in back and leg pain[*]right foot drop[*]flare up of a few long gone isssues with my thyroid (from all the iodine in the MRI contrasts)[*]More ongoing medication than I care to think about
They do tell me to not lose hope, keep trying, but they are now sayin you need to learn to live with this far more often as well, so I guess we are reaching a point, albeit slowly.
For the above I can truely say I am sorry. Nerve injuries heal the slowest and sometimes not at all. My heart goes out to you .
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 13:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress

I use DAN's (Diver Alert Network) Professional insurance, and have done for many years. They are, certainly for diving insurance, the best. They also had a travel insurance which many of our divers used, since it covered any trips further than 50 miles from home, and I believe wasn't limited to dive trips... or maybe they have various packages! Could you count a circumnavigation as en extended dive trip?

Meantime... one thing I do know is that any trips I pay (at least 60% of) for with my credit card are automatically covered by a very good insurer... not sure what we'll do when we cast off, though.
I agree DAN is a good cruiser insurance to help evacuate for emergencies. The Gold Level is for travel. I trust them too. There was a discussion, link below:

http://www.scubadivingphuket.net/scu...el-assistance/
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:48   #35

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Thanks everyone.

1. loss of 12% of sight in left eye and 9% in right.
  2. Some memory loss
  3. major increase in back and leg pain
  4. right foot drop
  5. flare up of a few long gone isssues with my thyroid (from all the iodine in the MRI contrasts)
  6. More ongoing medication than I care to think about (some of which has horrible side effects)

Life is still good, i have a great family, christmas etc.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

They do tell me to not lose hope, keep trying, but they are now saying things like you need to learn to live with this far more often as well, so I guess we are reaching a point, albeit slowly.
Like Newt, my heart goes out to you as well, and although perhaps not the best possible of outcomes, you have nevertheless survived a potentially lethal illness. It was not all that long ago-mid 20th century-that there were few treatments available (penicillin and Simon Flexner's earlier antimenigicoccocus horse serum), and the death rate world wide was appallingly high.
Old 08-12-2011, 15:59   #36

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Your chance of something like this happening while out cruising is fairly remote. Offshore, you are out of the viral and bacterial soup that surrounds you in civilization. You will exercise more, and your diet will not include fast food. You will probably even eat more fruit as you cruise.

The best thing most people could do is escape civilization before it kills them.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:53   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Why'dya think they say " Hello Mrs Brown... and how are we today...?"
Sorry to hear of your close call mate... glad you were not at sea... you'd be screwed...
Get well soon...
I like, "what seems to be the problem?" - uhhhh, aren't you the one with the degree?

International SOS is an option. They are somewhat of a gold standard in international medical assistance. Our company, like many others, have a corporate membership that covers expatriates and travellers. I have no stake in them but have used their services extensively for many years.

We have had business travellers get extremely ill on trips. India, Africa and parts of the middle east have diseases that can strrike you down withnlittle warning. The number one tip is food and water safety. Some of the stuff that can get inside you stays with your for years, if not forever.

I am not a "fanatic" but I am informed. In certain places I drink tap water and eat local veggies. Some times of year in some places the water table gets low and the quality of water decreases..

We have had expatriates get extremely ill on assignments.

One of the biggest difficulties when travelling is communicating in a foreign language and knowing, deciding, evaluating if the specific doctor you are using is any good or not.

SOS is not a medical insurance per se. The services they offer include

- medical references
- assigning an english speaking local doctor to guide you in choices and interface on the language problems
- evacuation services all the way up to private lear jets and accompanying medical staff
- guaranteeing payment to the local hospital. Some local hospitals will require cash up front. SOS may be able to provide a bond on your behalf

I have used all of these services for our people at one time or another.

SOS also recruits and places medical staff globally in remote places. Oil rigs, build sites etc. bringing medical care where medical care may not be available.

SOS is a gold plated service. They sell individual and family term packages on their website. I don't know their prices I suspect high, or your budget but the option is out there.

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/index.htm
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 18:57   #38
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
The best thing most people could do is escape civilization before it kills them.
that is obviously the best thing to do.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 21:08   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The best thing is to get evacuation insurance to get you to competent medical care ASAP when you get to somewhere with an airport. There is insurance meant for SCUBA divers that a lot of people have spoken well of. Can't remember the name of the company but DAN or something like that sticks in my mind.
DAN is great; anyone who's diving should be a member. Really a no brainer when you add up the math and almost everyone who dives a lot has some weird problems related to the pressure that DAN can assist with (sometimes just basic advice, sometimes referring to a dive-related ENT).

Regarding evacuation insurance, sadly most everything I've seen is a scam at best (I work in insurance). Lots of companies with photos of SaR choppers on their brochures, but if you read up you'll find a ton of complaints and almost no satisfied customers. Lots of folks stranded in third world nations while the insurance company bickered stated that a 30 hour bus ride was adequate to get back to the US.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 00:20   #40

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Glad you're still around and still hunting for that dream boat!! Ditto on Dana-tenecity's comments. We tend to use a "conservative" approach when doing things to minimize the accidents and resulting injuries requiring visits to the medical centers and hospitals. I'll probably jinx us, but it's now been over two years since we've even had a cold.

Here in New Zealand, our emergency response personnel are top notch. We have assisted fellow boaters in 2 helicopter rescues over the last 3 years and a 3rd was diverted just 3 nights ago at 2 am when an old 121 Epirb was set off unknowingly (and yes, the Rescue Coordination Center still responds to 121 Epirb trips).

To date, visitors (as well as citizens) receive free medical care from accidental injuries, including those taking place on a yacht.

All the best with your continued recovery. Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote