Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 01:43   #1

Waterproof Jackets Gill vs Musto vs...?

What jacket would you buy and why?
I am a beginner who is looking forward to make miles, so offshore jackets should be a must I think.
I have in mind 2 models, the first is the Gill OS2, and the second is the Musto BR2.
sharkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 02:42   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Waterproof Jackets Gill vs Musto vs...?

Actually, you'd do FAR, FAR better to get a smock top with integral hood instead. They've undergone a few design changes since their creation (by & for Volvo sailors). Mostly "losing" feature which weren't essential, but were present on the 1st generation or two of tops of this type.

In addition to being very comfortable to wear, including being long enough so that you're rear's covered. In particular, the area which you "park" on the deck when sitting/hiking out. They're a LOT drier. To the degree that they're that piece of kit which you wear right up until it's time to put on your drysuit/survival suit.
I've got a premium drysuit, & can attest to this... if the word of all of the pro's doesn't do it for you.

Here's an example of the kind of smock top I'm talking about HPX PRO SERIES SMOCK Although it needn't be in this price range. A cheaper one will do you just fine.

The perks to them are the high, multi-layered collar (which opens wide for plenty of ventilation in decent weather) which does a much better job at keeping out neck drips, & spray than is possible than anything with a zipper in front.
Also, the lack of a zipper prevents both rain, & spray or full on hosings from getting inside of the garment. Which is where jackets with zippers fall down as well.

Their only drawback is in that they take an extra 15sec to put on or take off. But despite that, they're worth it. Unless that is, you're sailing somewhere so warm that you aren't so concerned with water ingress.

Regardless of what you get, shop around. It's often possible to pick up a copy of last year's model for 1/2-1/3 of what a "new" one costs.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 03:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Where are you planning to sail? What I find best in the tropics will be completely different to what is needed in high latitudes.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 03:51   #4

Thanks all for ur replies.
Where will I be sailing...this is a good question. I live in Croatia, but I would like to sail wherever I can. In January I may go to england for a week (miles building). But wouldn't mind sailing in lower latitudes too. :-)

Sent from my PAP5044DUO using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-12-2014, 11:12   #5

Found a shop offering 50% to 70% discount on 2014 MUSTO products.
Old 17-12-2014, 11:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkd View Post
Found a shop offering 50% to 70% discount on 2014 MUSTO products.
Post a link, as it may help others.

Back to your original question...

I think any of the major brands will give you something adequate for most sailing. Their features and most construction is similar.

As for the smock?

I can see its purpose and advantages in extreme conditions that some of the racers face with spray and cold water while sailing in high latitudes. I used to have an anorak.

But I think the ability to quickly ventilate by unzipping a jacket is preferable in most sailing situations, and I like pockets in which to put snacks, small binocs, compass, lip balm, plasters for cuts, handy tools, and other items I want on me while on the rail or in the cockpit or on deck. I also like handwarmer pockets on the chest.

At least that was my experience, as I was an active sailor, often grinding away on winches during races or working foredeck. When doing that, one gets hot quickly, and a quick bite of a energy bar can help.

Unless one is in drenching storm weather or heavy spray like those top level and maxi racers, I think the ability to cool or ventilate is important, as much as water tightness.

My preference is for a bright yellow fabric, reflective stripes, soft collar lining material such as fleece, high standup collar, taped seams, roomy hood with some bill and draw strings closure for tight fit,guarded or covered two way zipper, and pockets.

The one thing I would avoid is WHITE fabric jacket. In windy conditions, white objects in the water get lost among the whitecaps. Seriously quickly lost.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:32   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Whatever you get, make sure you try it on while sitting, squatting, and flexing and think about how it will feel over 6 or 7 hours watches for days on end. A little bigger gives a little bit more flex and is much much more comfortable over the long cold days.

FYI - we have Gill OS2 with trousers and find them very comfy. We wear them with layers they don't really provide any warmth by themselves.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 23:58   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Post a link, as it may help others.

Back to your original question...

I think any of the major brands will give you something adequate for most sailing. Their features and most construction is similar.

As for the smock?

I can see its purpose and advantages in extreme conditions that some of the racers face with spray and cold water while sailing in high latitudes. I used to have an anorak.

But I think the ability to quickly ventilate by unzipping a jacket is preferable in most sailing situations, and I like pockets in which to put snacks, small binocs, compass, lip balm, plasters for cuts, handy tools, and other items I want on me while on the rail or in the cockpit or on deck. I also like handwarmer pockets on the chest.

At least that was my experience, as I was an active sailor, often grinding away on winches during races or working foredeck. When doing that, one gets hot quickly, and a quick bite of a energy bar can help.

Unless one is in drenching storm weather or heavy spray like those top level and maxi racers, I think the ability to cool or ventilate is important, as much as water tightness.

My preference is for a bright yellow fabric, reflective stripes, soft collar lining material such as fleece, high standup collar, taped seams, roomy hood with some bill and draw strings closure for tight fit,guarded or covered two way zipper, and pockets.

The one thing I would avoid is WHITE fabric jacket. In windy conditions, white objects in the water get lost among the whitecaps. Seriously quickly lost.
+1 I feel the same. sailing here in the Baltic we get all kinds of conditions in the summer (I've had to wear sweaters and foulies with a knitted cap in June - during the daytime). My wife has a smock and likes it - I have a zipper front and really like being able to open up and air out.

Just moving from the helmsman spot to under the sprayhood means a dramtic change in conditions. If I'm under the sprayhood, I' usually unzip and open up.

I also like the interior pockets since I wear the damn thing when I go into town - good place for wallet, reading glasses etc.

Outer pockets are for my rigger's knife, extra pair of reading glasses, munchy bar, gloves or whatever.

I have Henri Loyld (brigth yellow)- works for me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 00:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
What jacket would you buy and why?
I am a beginner who is looking forward to make miles, so offshore jackets should be a must I think.
I have in mind 2 models, the first is the Gill OS2, and the second is the Musto BR2.
Whatever you get, check carefully how the hood fits.
I have an offshore Musto and it frustrates me to no end that if I have my lifejacket on and the shoulders of the jacket are held down and unable to freely rise, the main edge of the hood only reaches the top of my head and the edge of the peak barely touches my forehead - the hood simply won't stay on. Utterly useless in fact .
(i have a longish neck, but nothing out of the ordinary, and take a 'small' size).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 01:28   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Where will I be sailing...this is a good question. I live in Croatia, but I would like to sail wherever I can. In January I may go to england for a week (miles building). But wouldn't mind sailing in lower latitudes too. :-)

Sent from my PAP5044DUO using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Southampton boat show takes place in January.
If you can attend the show, it's likely you will find some very good deals on clothing and lots of other boat stuff.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 02:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Gill have a lifetime warranty. I've gone through 4 pairs of trousers and 3 jackets. No questions asked.

Only problem is they've altered the cut, so I grabbed an opportunity to buy Henri-Lloyd at a substantial discount. Dunno about Musto's current offerings.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:33   #12

So, I just bought the MUSTO BR2 jacket and trousers. So far so good. The price for the package was 340 Euros.
Old 18-12-2014, 09:06   #13

Boat: Contest 31HT

Quote:

Sent from my PAP5044DUO using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile
app
Stormy weather, very cold,rainy or snow I would prefer to go in mai and buy a new swimming suite
hjvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:08   #14
Marine Service Provider

I agree that all the major brands are putting out good gear - just find one that fits you well and has the features you want.

I really like my Gill KB Racer jacket for sailing in the Caribbean - but the OS2 Jacket would be a good choice for cooler climates.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
just find one that fits you well and has the features you want.
Absolutely- too tight and you can't layer, and it will be uncomfortable where it pulls- eg, (for me) under the armpits, etc., and I find gear that is too loose is a pain to move around in during rougher conditions- it can get caught on a multitude of things.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water