Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 14:14   #31

Boat: Looking
Re: Watermaker Myths

I remember when I first saw bottled water at circle K and thought it was a joke and would never work, bottle of water the same price as a Budweiser WOW!!!

When I had my daughters (started late in life, had them before I turned 50 though) and the doctor told us to never use bottled water for the babies. That should tell you something in itself

Mike
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:14   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I yearn for the days when as kids we all drank from the hose.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:26   #33

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
With pretty much all of them I've been the first to drink a glass of the water made. I'm still here and I've never gotten sick from it

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Never sick, bit it might explain that twitch,, 😅

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:34   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I even had one knucklehead onboard two summers ago, who refused to drink the water because he said "the fishes crap and pee in the ocean... I'm not drinking that stuff." Needless to say, he won't be invited back.
And fishes fornicate in water. That's why I don't put it in my whiskey
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:07   #35

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I started work as a sales rep in 1985. My boss had put a just introduced to the market bottle of water on top of his filing cupboard with a plaque that said "if you think your job's hard, be thankful you don't have to try and sell this stuff". How times have changed!

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:36   #36

Quote:
When I pointed out to the numbskull that his city's water supply back home came from a reservoir which also had mammals, fish and birds crapping and peeing in the water, he said "that's different, the city has experts testing the water for safety." I showed him how I tested the watermaker product water for purity using the ppm tester, his reply.... "You're no expert."

I think the de-evolution of humans is definitely taking place... getting much more dense.

The survival of the thickest.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PangurBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:42   #37

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Personally I never have understood why people drink bottled water in so called first world countries.
However we spent 10 years in China and would try to keep my mouth tightly closed when showering with the town water let alone drinking it.Even for the more affluent locals bottled water for drinking was pretty standard and usually in 20 litre fountain type containers but finding reputable sellers was always a challenge and we usually boiled it as well.
Not drinking your own RO water after spending many many $K I don't get that either .But marketing turns normally reasonably intelligent people into ???? when it comes to parting with their money.
Now where did I put my name brand boat shoes?
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:46   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

We drink bottled water even in our coffee pot and yes it is produced with an ro system just don't tell the kids its my own to water maker. They think its from the store.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:47   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I even know of a couple of fools who only give their dogs and cats bottled water to drink. I'm sure as soon as they leave the house, their animals head right to the toilet for the "good stuff."

What a waste...
LMAO...You should be a writer
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:52   #40

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Man those guys would have fit to hear that many cruisers in the past drank muddy water off the side of a river bank in Africa and filtered through a clay pot!

Anyone that comes to our island house gets ice made from my rooftop cistern. Although we chlorinate, the only other thing we do is filter through a basic filter from Home Depot.

Never hurt anyone. We clean out the cistern maybe every 10 years.

Sent from somewhere other than where I want to be!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 16:09   #41

RO is great at removing NaCl and most particulates. Viruses and many bacteria are smaller than H2O molecules and therefore get though the filter just fine. We drink our RO water, but only make water offshore or when we are at the front of a harbor on an incoming tide (and then only if necessary), and all of our water goes through a UV sterilizer.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 17:01   #42

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
RO is great at removing NaCl and most particulates. Viruses and many bacteria are smaller than H2O molecules and therefore get though the filter just fine. We drink our RO water, but only make water offshore or when we are at the front of a harbor on an incoming tide (and then only if necessary), and all of our water goes through a UV sterilizer.
Well, the title of this thread is "Watermaker Myths"

The size of the smallest known virus is ~5nm (in this case nm=nanometer, not nautical mile). The Na+ ion has a Van der Waals diameter of about 450 pm (picometers) or about 1/10 the size of the smallest known virus. And then water molecules have a Van der Waals diameter of ~275 picometers.

The RO industry uses a "standard" definition of 0.1nm as the pore size of RO membranes, or about 50 times smaller than the smallest known virus.

I don't think there is an RO manufacturer out their that sells their system as capable of virus or bacteria removal, but that is more a function of the regulatory environment than the capabilities of the process.

Here is what the CDC has to say:

Quote:
Reverse Osmosis Systems

Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.

A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.

Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);

Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);

Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);

Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.

CDC - A Guide to Drinking Water Treatment Technologies for Household Use - Camping, Hiking, Travel - Drinking Water - Healthy Water
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 18:34   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Please explain how a bacteria can be smaller than an H2O molecule.

This should be entertaining....
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 18:47   #44
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

I have a case of bottled water aboard. I'm saving it in case I get thirsty while fixing my watermaker.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:12   #45

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Folks...

I have a case of bottled water aboard. I'm saving it in case I get thirsty while fixing my watermaker.

Dave
That's funny we carried 2 x10 litre bottles around for two years just in case all else went wrong.Drank them at home last week.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker, water