Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 10:47   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This does sound like it has the potential to be a very serious global issue.
This type of mosquito was nearly wiped out by interventions (not DDT) and was allowed to re grow by countries not willing to continue the eradication investment.

So if it becomes serious again there is the choice of another erradication program.

(But how many kids will be born with huge brain damage before it becomes serious enough?)
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 11:09   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
For the most part, Wikipedia entries (read the wikipedia entry on zika for yourself - do yourself a favour MF!) are based on published science. You can follow the clues I gave to read the story of the Foys yourself. Or research what happened in Tahiti, Yap etc.

BBC is just another mass media. So a low proportion of data. A lot of ink wasted on pictures, colours etc.

Did you find a reference in the BBC story to what has happened in the Pacific, such as in Yap, Tahiti, etc? Or to the blood transfusion risk? Just the briefest mention of human sexual transmission. For that matter do the NIH warnings talk about the experiences in the Indian Ocean or the Pacific?

Wikipedia backs its story up with links to the historical experience. I tried in my short piece (which didn't come from Wikipedia - I have other sources) to do the same with a high data/ink ratio. Did BBC? Or was it more ink than data?
Thank you Alan Mighty for your great post.
Yet again the impressionable people of this world are bleating with fear over media scaremongering.
Remember swine fever,bird flu, CJD, holes in the ozone layer ,( later to become global warming then morphing into climate change).

Anyone who believes anything that a government propaganda machine such as the British ******** Corporation says is not paying attention to reality.
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 11:38   #33

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Thank you Alan Mighty for your great post.
Yet again the impressionable people of this world are bleating with fear over media scaremongering.
Remember swine fever,bird flu, CJD, holes in the ozone layer ,( later to become global warming then morphing into climate change).

Anyone who believes anything that a government propaganda machine such as the British ******** Corporation says is not paying attention to reality.
Did you have that tinfoil hat tailor made or did you make it yourself?

You are aware that less than one hundred years ago a flu epidemic of the H1N1 strain closely related to the H5N1 bird flu swept the world, killing between 50 and 100 million people, likely more than in both world wars put together, and in a tiny fraction of the time? Given the modern population of the earth that number would have been between 200 and 400 million people, close equivalent to the entire population of the US. Of course that was a government conspiracy as well, I assume? Are you going to start using words like "sheeple" and tell us that vaccinations are harmful and of no benefit, also a conspiracy? The hole in the ozone layer is very real. You just don't actually realise it. And the fact that the likes of SARS and MERS haven't yet swept the world, the fact that the EBOLA outbreak was managed and mitigated is down to the likes of the WHO and the CDC who you obviously slight from the comfort of whatever place it is you are sitting in now, doing nothing to help. But of course you don't really give a rat's behind about the 3,900 cases of severe brain damage in microcephalic infants which show a strong correlation to the pattern of this outbreak of Zika. No. You know better, apparently. Amazing. You already have made a diagnosis of an entire population, of an entire disease. With your advanced degree in psychic epidemiology? Voodoo remote tropical medicine? Oh, yes, that's right. These things don't exist.

But anyway, you should call the CDC and inform them that your private prognostications have made them redundant.

Seriously. What on earth is your point? That the medical establishment is engaged in one big conspiracy and none of these diseases are real? I bet polio wasn't/isn't real either? Smallpox was just a made up story in gubment owned noosepapers, eh? Ever walk around a 19th century graveyard? Seriously. I am so sick of smug nonsense such as you display. The world is full and getting fuller of it. You are not helping. You are part of the problem. And the saddest irony is that the very safety you sit in which allows you to say such smugly ignorant things as this was created by the very science and work and sacrifice you disdain, and you disdain to support.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 11:55   #34

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I don't care what anyone of you says. I'm defending myself with more rum. Let the little blood suckers suck on that.
Old 25-01-2016, 11:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Did you have that tinfoil hat tailor made or did you make it yourself?

You are aware that less than one hundred years ago a flu epidemic of the H1N1 strain closely related to the H5N1 bird flu swept the world, killing between 50 and 100 million people, likely more than in both world wars put together, and in a tiny fraction of the time? Given the modern population of the earth that number would have been between 200 and 400 million people, close equivalent to the entire population of the US. Of course that was a government conspiracy as well, I assume? Are you going to start using words like "sheeple" and tell us that vaccinations are harmful and of no benefit, also a conspiracy? The hole in the ozone layer is very real. You just don't actually realise it. And the fact that the likes of SARS and MERS haven't yet swept the world, the fact that the EBOLA outbreak was managed and mitigated is down to the likes of the WHO and the CDC who you obviously slight from the comfort of whatever place it is you are sitting in now, doing nothing to help. But of course you don't really give a rat's behind about the 3,900 cases of severe brain damage in microcephalic infants which show a strong correlation to the pattern of this outbreak of Zika. No. You know better, apparently. Amazing. You already have made a diagnosis of an entire population, of an entire disease. With you advanced degree in psychic epidemiology? Voodoo remote tropical medicine? Oh, yes, that's right. These things don't exist.

But anyway, you should call the CDC and inform them that your private prognostications have made them redundant.

Seriously. What on earth is your point? That the medical establishment is engaged in one big conspiracy and none of these diseases are real? I bet polio wasn't/isn't real either? Smallpox was just a made up story in gubment owned noosepapers, eh? Ever walk around a 19th century graveyard? Seriously. I am so sick of smug nonsense such as you display. The world is full and getting fuller of it. You are not helping. You are part of the problem.
Yes ! Ebola hey.People of low intellect always blame conspiracy theorists in the hope that it will muddy the waters and that some of the mud will stick.
Facts are what counts,not wishful thinking.
How many people have so far died of the diseases that i have so far mentioned,I did forget Ebola so forgive me for that.
Yes ! diseases have in the past wiped out large populations,but,to cry wolf every time that a few people die is not helping your case.
I do do regard it as sensationalism and fear mongering .
Do get a grip.
Old 25-01-2016, 11:59   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I posted a link to an effective mosquito catcher. Reportedly catching 4,000 skin piercing beasts in an hour. Their top of the line unit uses a gas canister of C02 that is used to attract mosquitoes. They are highly attracted to this as it is primarily human C02 emitted from breathing that the home in on.

Now I made a tongue in cheek comment about GW and someone takes offence. Let me just say that "many a truth is spoken in jest". I'm just waiting for some GW evangelist to outlaw this device because of Co2 emissions. Just like some well meaning multi billion environmentalist lobbied and killed off the use of insecticide spraying in Africa resulting in the gigantic increase of mosquito born diseases and an uncounted number of deaths. His solution now is to hand out mosquito nets in the African villages.
I have seen researchers use a plastic straw to blow air into a glass vessel full of sketters in order to get them to become aggressive and bite..They love me by the way when no one else is even aware of the little sob's..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 12:03   #37

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Do get a grip.
What you're really saying is: post only information I find useful, and only in a way I would present said information.
Guess what: it's not all about you

Muckle Flugga hasn't said anything that comes even close to "sensationalism and fear mongering".

All this thread is, is a simple warning about Zika - which isn't dangerous to most people, but IS worth knowing about because certain groups are at risk.
And if you're part of that group, it doesn't hurt to know there's something to look into and be aware of.

How and where people look into it, or even if they want to do that, is up to each individual, as is what they do with that information.
Muckle Flugga isn't telling anyone what to do, feel, fear or ignore. You, however, are ...
Old 25-01-2016, 12:11   #38

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I don't care what anyone of you says. I'm defending myself with more rum. Let the little blood suckers suck on that.
There may be some medical evidence to support this prophylactic approach. Two years ago I contracted chikungunya from a mosquito bite while none of the other three sailors with me got it. I was drinking mostly iced tea and Coca-Cola while they were drinking rum. They concluded that rum is a better disinfectant than Coca-Cola.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 12:20   #39

Quote:
Yes ! Ebola hey.People of low intellect always blame conspiracy theorists in the hope that it will muddy the waters and that some of the mud will stick.
Facts are what counts,not wishful thinking.
How many people have so far died of the diseases that i have so far mentioned,I did forget Ebola so forgive me for that.
Yes ! diseases have in the past wiped out large populations,but,to cry wolf every time that a few people die is not helping your case.
I do do regard it as sensationalism and fear mongering .
Do get a grip.
You do realise that your sentences are neither constructed properly, nor do they actually make any sense, put together? No?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-01-2016, 12:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
What you're really saying is: post only information I find useful, and only in a way I would present said information.

Muckle Flugga hasn't said anything that comes even close to "sensationalism and fear mongering".

All this thread is, is a simple warning about Zika - which isn't dangerous to most people, but IS worth knowing about because certain groups are at risk.
And if you're part of that group, it doesn't hurt to know there's something to look into and be aware of.

How and where people look into it, or even if they want to do that, is up to each individual, as is what they do with that information.
Muckle Flugga isn't telling anyone what to do, feel, fear or ignore. You, however, are ...
Thank you for that Lizzy Belle.I am in awe of of your missing the point.
Perhaps you don't read newspapers in the Netherlands,but, daily, we are bombarded by the latest scare. Whether it's nuclear, biological or psychological.
Get on with your life !
Old 25-01-2016, 12:23   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

Exactly! One really wouldn't have thought that this was going to be a complicated thing, eh?
Old 25-01-2016, 12:26   #42

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Get on with your life !
Can you please send me one to get on with (preferably on Candy Crush)?
Old 25-01-2016, 12:27   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Below is an image of graphs showing the biting habits during a 24 hour period.

So splatter on the insect repellent all day!

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
Very useful and interesting graphics thanks!
Old 25-01-2016, 12:29   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
You do realise that your sentences are neither constructed properly, nor do they actually make any sense, put together? No?
So!My sentences are not constructed properly. Ipso Facto, I must be a moron to be disregarded.
Having attempted to disgrace me with your Black Death scenario's ( yawn ). You try to destroy me with an attack on sentence construction.That's really hurtful.How will I sleep tonight ?
Old 25-01-2016, 12:31   #45

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
There may be some medical evidence to support this prophylactic approach. Two years ago I contracted chikungunya from a mosquito bite while none of the other three sailors with me got it. I was drinking mostly iced tea and Coca-Cola while they were drinking rum. They concluded that rum is a better disinfectant than Coca-Cola.
Alright.. We are gonna need more scientific info.. Brands, dosage, ect... LOL..

Not to derail this topic, but on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad was the sickness?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal