Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 04:50   #1

Boat: 55' sloop.
Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

It seems this is developing into a very serious issue, and will spread beyond the tropics, it seems. One more reason to defend very carefully against moquito bites.

Zika virus: Outbreak 'likely to spread across Americas' says WHO - BBC News
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Nature Fights Back..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 05:17   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

natures population control. we ignored dengue, chikingunya and malaria--- now we get the big guns.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 05:28   #4

Newsflash: we are part of Nature. We breathe toxic gas that was farted out by googleplexes of archaoeobacteria, which then wiped most of them of the face of the planet.

In any case, the outbreak is serious in Northern South America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-01-2016, 05:37   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

But why not tell the real story, not just the BBC version?

* flavi-virus disease discovered and named 'zika' in Africa in 1947 in a monkey population in the Zika Forest in Uganda.

* zika seems to be the first mosquito-vector virus disease that has been recorded being transmitted between adult humans by sex (i.e. in the semen of the male to - in the case of record - his female spouse; entomologist Mark Foy to his spouse Joy Chilson Foy in Colorado in 2008, all detailed in an academic paper published in Emerging Infectious Diseases in 2011). In Tahiti there seems a case of mother-to-child infection during birthing.

* although zika is much talked about in Latin America, zika showed up in the Pacific islands (Yap, in 2007) several years ago, being carried by humans from island to island (and being spread around each island by mosquitoes - in 2009, 73% of the population of Yap still were producing antibodies to zkia - an outbreak in French Polynesia in 2013-14, and similarly in New Caledonia in 2014, Cook Islands in 2014, Vanuatu in April 2015, Easter/Pascua Island in 2014)

* zika showed up in the Indian Ocean, on the E African coast and several of the Indian Ocean island economies) in 2005

* the microcephaly might be a special case associated with some particular genetic/epigenetic etc character of one or more populations in the Americas. In Tahiti, about 3% of asymptomatic blood donors showed antibodies to zika and/or zika viruses - quite a scary figure because it suggests a high degree of asymptomatic carries and a high risk of infection by blood donors (not to mention the sexual transmission - but I hasten to add that in the case of the Foys, Brian had blood in his semen either from unrelated prostatitis or some effect of the virus). In the Yap epidemic, no one died or reported to hospital. In French Polynesia in 2013-14, about 30K people were infected (10% of the population) with quite a few reporting to clinics and hospitals and some developing neuropathy (Guillain-Barre syndrome - damaged peripheral nerves).

* the mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti, is well distributed and well known as a vector in dengue fever and chikungunya. My bet is that one or two of the closely related Aedes species, most of which similarly wear football sock bands on their legs, will also vector zika.
Old 25-01-2016, 05:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
But why not tell the real story, not just the BBC version?

* flavi-virus disease discovered and named 'zika' in Africa in 1947 in a monkey population in the Zika Forest in Uganda.

* zika seems to be the first mosquito-vector virus disease that has been recorded being transmitted between adult humans by sex (i.e. in the semen of the male to - in the case of record - his female spouse; entomologist Mark Foy to his spouse Joy Chilson Foy in Colorado in 2008, all detailed in an academic paper published in Emerging Infectious Diseases in 2011). In Tahiti there seems a case of mother-to-child infection during birthing.

* although zika is much talked about in Latin America, zika showed up in the Pacific islands (Yap, in 2007) several years ago, being carried by humans from island to island (and being spread around each island by mosquitoes - in 2009, 73% of the population of Yap still were producing antibodies to zkia - an outbreak in French Polynesia in 2013-14, and similarly in New Caledonia in 2014, Cook Islands in 2014, Vanuatu in April 2015, Easter/Pascua Island in 2014)

* zika showed up in the Indian Ocean, on the E African coast and several of the Indian Ocean island economies) in 2005

* the microcephaly might be a special case associated with some particular genetic/epigenetic etc character of one or more populations in the Americas. In Tahiti, about 3% of asymptomatic blood donors showed antibodies to zika and/or zika viruses - quite a scary figure because it suggests a high degree of asymptomatic carries and a high risk of infection by blood donors (not to mention the sexual transmission - but I hasten to add that in the case of the Foys, Brian had blood in his semen either from unrelated prostatitis or some effect of the virus). In the Yap epidemic, no one died or reported to hospital. In French Polynesia in 2013-14, about 30K people were infected (10% of the population) with quite a few reporting to clinics and hospitals and some developing neuropathy (Guillain-Barre syndrome - damaged peripheral nerves).

* the mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti, is well distributed and well known as a vector in dengue fever and chikungunya. My bet is that one or two of the closely related Aedes species, most of which similarly wear football sock bands on their legs, will also vector zika.
Not sure why the BBC version isn't "real" but thanks for your elucidations.
Old 25-01-2016, 05:50   #7

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
It seems this is developing into a very serious issue, and will spread beyond the tropics, it seems. One more reason to defend very carefully against moquito bites...
I'd sure like to know how to do that beyond the obvious.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 05:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'd sure like to know how to do that beyond the obvious.
The obvious is sufficient. I spend most of my life in the tropics (either Caribbean, Asian, Pacific, Indian or wherever) and I almost never get bitten. Deet works. So does Picaridin. Use them carefully, and you won't either. For sleeping: careful defense against mosquito entry of the vessel. Also effective. Just have to be diligent.
Old 25-01-2016, 06:14   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Not sure why the BBC version isn't "real" but thanks for your elucidations.
For the most part, Wikipedia entries (read the wikipedia entry on zika for yourself - do yourself a favour MF!) are based on published science. You can follow the clues I gave to read the story of the Foys yourself. Or research what happened in Tahiti, Yap etc.

BBC is just another mass media. So a low proportion of data. A lot of ink wasted on pictures, colours etc.

Did you find a reference in the BBC story to what has happened in the Pacific, such as in Yap, Tahiti, etc? Or to the blood transfusion risk? Just the briefest mention of human sexual transmission. For that matter do the NIH warnings talk about the experiences in the Indian Ocean or the Pacific?

Wikipedia backs its story up with links to the historical experience. I tried in my short piece (which didn't come from Wikipedia - I have other sources) to do the same with a high data/ink ratio. Did BBC? Or was it more ink than data?
Old 25-01-2016, 07:10   #10

Quote:
For the most part, Wikipedia entries (read the wikipedia entry on zika for yourself - do yourself a favour MF!) are based on published science. You can follow the clues I gave to read the story of the Foys yourself. Or research what happened in Tahiti, Yap etc.

BBC is just another mass media. So a low proportion of data. A lot of ink wasted on pictures, colours etc.

Did you find a reference in the BBC story to what has happened in the Pacific, such as in Yap, Tahiti, etc? Or to the blood transfusion risk? Just the briefest mention of human sexual transmission. For that matter do the NIH warnings talk about the experiences in the Indian Ocean or the Pacific?

Wikipedia backs its story up with links to the historical experience. I tried in my short piece (which didn't come from Wikipedia - I have other sources) to do the same with a high data/ink ratio. Did BBC? Or was it more ink than data?
I don't really like the tone of this post. It sounds like personal grandstanding for some reason. And… Wikipedia? Really?
Old 25-01-2016, 07:24   #11

Looks like Summer in Canada and Winter in Chile is the best if mosquitoes like you. Neither place have the mosquito that carries the virus.

Anyone sailing USA, Caribbean, Central America and Pacific Islands should seriously be investing in mosquito covers for use on all entry ways from dusk till morning. Long sleeves and long pants with anti mosquito spray (they are toxic) in remaining exposed areas. Other anti winged pest strategies can be using blue light zappers and or citronella lamps for your back of boat sundowners.

Those lucky enough to have catamarans are able to use zippered mosquito enclosures around their cockpits. Great for inviting others not so lucky to have such a comfortable protected area at the marina over for drinks. Just a thought.

Here is a device that seems interesting.

http://www.megacatch.com/alpha.html

By the way these little creatures come out 2 hours before nightfall to start eating. They are not active in temperatures bellow 80 F. They are attracted to dark clothes. Also to perfume. They have heat seeking sensors and follow after C02, your breath. Some mosquito traps use C02 emitting gas systems. Don't tell the global warming crowd.

Anyway here is an interesting report in the safety of Canada and Chile. One thing I don't understand about this travel warning report is that it doesn't warn against travel to the United States. The USA is now an infected region. Perhaps they are more concerned about politics.

Aedes mosquitoes -- the main vector for Zika transmission -- are present in all the region's countries except Canada and continental Chile," the statement said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urged pregnant women to postpone travel to Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Martin, Suriname, Samoa, Venezuela and Puerto Rico.*
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 07:30   #12

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Wikipedia backs its story up with links to the historical experience.
Citing Wikipedia as a trusted source of information ...
Saying a website is wasting a lot of ink on photo's etc. ...
Making this topic about the BBC ...

Not much liking Alan Mighty's tone either - sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder. Which is fine, but this isn't really the topic (or even site) to deal with that. His posts don't add much, if any, value to the topic at hand.

Back on topic: seems that, apart from the risks to babies / pregnant women (and probably elderly people and/or people with a weaker immunity), it isn't all that dangerous. Meaning: no need for panic, just common sense in preventing getting bitten (and be aware of the symptoms).
Old 25-01-2016, 07:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Back on topic: seems that, apart from the risks to babies (and probably elderly people and/or people with a weaker immunity), it isn't all that dangerous. Meaning: no need for panic, just common sense in preventing getting bitten and sick.

Thanks Lizzy. And yes it doesn't appear the virus is especially dangerous to healthy, non pregnant adults, which is why I referenced families and couples, though of course plenty of the latter not in much danger either. Still I thought it worth flagging as the areas in the Americas affected are really rather common for sailors, and, ahem, many a child has been conceived aboard in such romantic destinations, and the very fact that the virus is commonly symptomless makes it, if anything, more dangerous in this context.
Old 25-01-2016, 07:36   #14

In general, I find that the BBC provides good, basic, factual coverage, with links provided for further info. But Mr Mighty's wiki-based post was very informative too. I also like wikipedia, again for the links.

In our part of North America, we're already dealing with West Nile virus (also mosquito-borne) which decimated some bird populations (eg crows, bluejays) and shows up occasionally in humans.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 07:40   #15

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Still I thought it worth flagging
Completely agree.
The more people are aware, the better & more people can prevent getting bitten / sick.

Quote:
many a child has been conceived aboard in such romantic destinations…
Ah, is THAT how that happens! Was wondering, since some of my friends left as a couple and returned with one or two small crew members extra

Tags
cal