Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 12:09   #91

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
For the most part, Wikipedia entries (read the wikipedia entry on zika for yourself - do yourself a favour MF!) are based on published science.
snip
Speaking from experience, Wikipedia articles are loaded with special interest influence, and "herd mentality" about what is "legitimate".

In an earlier day, if Wikipedia existed it would have been one of the hold-outs of the "earth is flat" school of thought. JMHO based on experience.

Look up "neuromuscular dentistry". You won't find it on Wikipedia because many articles have been submitted but removed/suppressed on the grounds of being controversial.

Then look it up on Google or Bing. I rest my case.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 12:16   #92

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I try to keep DEET off my skin since I get a slight rash from the chemical. Instead I spray my clothes. This obviously not so useful with mosquitoes that go after exposed skin.

I use DEET and Permethrin on clothes to keep off ticks and chiggers or as I call them tiggers.

Our area is covered in ticks and chiggers. Going in the woods, or even the yard, during the summer means you will find at least some ticks on you. Venture into tall grass or brush from June to September and chiggers are almost certain to get you as well. DEET or Permetrin will keep them at bay.

The nice thing about Permethrin is that you can spray or soak your clothes and the chemical will still repel/kill tiggers after quite a few washings. My understanding is the US military treat fatigues with Permethrin. The stuff does work.

Out door stores sell Pemetrhin as do farm supply stores.

Later,
Dan
Dan,

You're so right! I had soaked my "shore clothes" in permethrins, as I did for the cockpit net, and the mosquitoes (in that case, anopheles, not aegyptii) wouldn't light on it. Excellent stuff, and great you can get it at farm supply stores in your neck of the woods. I still have about a pint of it. It worked very well for me, too.

Ann
Old 28-01-2016, 12:22   #93
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

1 reported case of sexual transmission to date...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 12:27   #94
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

DEET and Permethrin work. But all that 'natural' crap does not, including Eucalyptus oil. If gum tree oil kept mozzies away the whole of Australia would be bite free!

So use DEET or Permethrin and don'tnt get prego in high risk areas.

Remember that the mosquito must bite 2 people to transfers the virus so, unless u are at a marina, on your boat you should be safe
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:23   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
DEET and Permethrin work. But all that 'natural' crap does not, including Eucalyptus oil. If gum tree oil kept mozzies away the whole of Australia would be bite free!

So use DEET or Permethrin and don'tnt get prego in high risk areas.

Remember that the mosquito must bite 2 people to transfers the virus so, unless u are at a marina, on your boat you should be safe
Sorry but I think your a little optimistic regarding the risk. Staying out of marinas I don't think will protect you. These little flying virus carriers get around and so do the people they cross infect with. One thing that I find interesting is the mosquitos don't like temperatures bellow 80F. Perhaps Patagonia is looking a lot more interesting.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 18:10   #96

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Looks like a case of Zika in my home town. Linked to a person traveling.

A case of Zika virus, which can cause small heads in newborns, confirmed in Alberta | Edmonton Journal

They keep saying our mosquitoes can't carry the virus. I really hope they are right this time, but they said that about West Nile Virus.

I know nothing about virology, but damn this one seems to be spreading quick to me!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 03:31   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Looks like a case of Zika in my home town. Linked to a person traveling.

A case of Zika virus, which can cause small heads in newborns, confirmed in Alberta | Edmonton Journal

They keep saying our mosquitoes can't carry the virus. I really hope they are right this time, but they said that about West Nile Virus.

I know nothing about virology, but damn this one seems to be spreading quick to me!
Spreads even quicker on public forums
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 04:12   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Really looking forward to all those near empty anchorages....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:22   #99

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Spreads even quicker on public forums
Not sure what you mean or the point of your statement? Was it supposed to be smug or smart? It certainly added no value to this thread!

The thread was started to provide confirmed information on the virus. A confirmed case in northern Canada certainly shows the speed at which this virus can move in our modern world.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 12:49   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Yes ! Ebola hey.People of low intellect always blame conspiracy theorists in the hope that it will muddy the waters and that some of the mud will stick.
Facts are what counts,not wishful thinking.
How many people have so far died of the diseases that i have so far mentioned,I did forget Ebola so forgive me for that.
Yes ! diseases have in the past wiped out large populations,but,to cry wolf every time that a few people die is not helping your case.
I do do regard it as sensationalism and fear mongering .
Do get a grip.
Nobody is crying wolf and maybe YOU should get a grip. I arrived home today from overseas to discover Zika is all over the news. Not only am I reading about Zika and how fast it's spreading, but I also received this health notice from my employer.....sent to all crew from my international airline.....

"The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced a Travel Health Notice due to the outbreak of the Zika virus. The Zika virus is currently present in the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and South America, and is transmitted through mosquito bites. The CDC recommends special precautions, such as the use of insect repellents or wearing long sleeve shirts to prevent mosquito bites when traveling in the affected areas. Insect repellents, such as DEET, are an important way to help people protect themselves from infections spread by mosquitoes.

Flight Operations, Corporate Medical, Corporate Safety and Inflight Services, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), continue to closely monitor the situation surrounding the Zika virus to revise and improve current processes."

MF started an informative thread on a health issue that people should be made aware of....esp cruisers and those in the travel industry. This is a real issue, and it's a real shame you took exception to it.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:11   #101

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, theres a first. I first heard about this health threat due to this thread (well done OP) and now they are funally reporting of it on our local news and there are travel warnings.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:27   #102

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Not sure what you mean or the point of your statement? Was it supposed to be smug or smart? It certainly added no value to this thread!

The thread was started to provide confirmed information on the virus. A confirmed case in northern Canada certainly shows the speed at which this virus can move in our modern world.
Hes been trolling since the start of this thread. Just ignore him and hopefully he will not come back.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 09:06   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

"Poor old South America" and the Carribean cant catch a breath I read somewhere that "Dem daam bludclot Moskeet" will spread across the whole of South America and all of the Carribean islands..Before May! Damn'it Man...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 18:24   #104

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Better than the BBC, not as good as Wikipedia, a good read: Zika: Here’s what we know about the virus alarming health experts worldwide | Ars Technica
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 03:19   #105

GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal