Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-01-2016, 18:19   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

An interesting discussion. Thanks to the OP. Id not previously heard of zika.

Old 25-01-2016, 20:08   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
There may be some medical evidence to support this prophylactic approach. Two years ago I contracted chikungunya from a mosquito bite while none of the other three sailors with me got it. I was drinking mostly iced tea and Coca-Cola while they were drinking rum. They concluded that rum is a better disinfectant than Coca-Cola.
I think we would have to do controlled studies with blood alcohol content monitoring. It would be important to the study to have the sailors involved to have near toxic blood alcohol to determine if there is an effect. They would have to remain totally wasted for the entire time they are exposed to the virus.
Hmmm- Do we have any takers?
"Tropics- did we pass through the tropics?"
Just in case some takes me seriously- I recommend DEET externally. That's all folks

Old 25-01-2016, 20:19   #63

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Hi Dr Sea.

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience. It sounds terrible. Just a thought regarding high dose long term use of prednisone. I was in 50mg a day for over a year following an almost fatal dose of bacterial pneumonia. This medication is great for keeping you alive but has awful side effects. It has taken me over 2 years to get myself off if it. Everytime I tapered diwn dosage and then went off the prednisone I would suffer muscle aches throughout my body and nearly every joint had an arthritic response. Now finally I have been off it for 3 months and no muscle pain and only issue is swelling in my left hand fingers. Worse in the morning where I'm unable to make a fist. I've been taking cinnamon in capsule form daily and now I'm finding that the hand swelling is getting less. For a long long time I thought I would never be able to lead an active life and certainly not be able to handle the ropes on a sailboat. At long last I can now see myself being able to beat this.

Regards,
Chaya
Yup prednisone is a good/bad thing. About 8 years ago I was put on it for a bought of pericarditis. Not a good drug to get off of.

I didn't try cinnamon, but I did find tumeric helpful for me.
Old 25-01-2016, 21:31   #64

Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup prednisone is a good/bad thing. About 8 years ago I was put on it for a bought of pericarditis. Not a good drug to get off of.

I didn't try cinnamon, but I did find tumeric helpful for me.
Hi. How did you take the tumeric? Was it in your food or in capsule form? Ive also heard it is a great anti inflammatory. Glad to hear you beat the effects.

Regards,
Chaya
Old 25-01-2016, 21:48   #65

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Hi. How did you take the tumeric? Was it in your food or in capsule form? Ive also heard it is a great anti inflammatory. Glad to hear you beat the effects.

Regards,
Chaya
I will say, I do not believe in alternative medicine in any way. Tumeric was actually suggested by my Dr. and he cited a few studies. He suggested I try it as see if it helped.

Originally I got capsules at a health food store. That got expensive so I started buying empty capsules and filling them myself. That worked for a while, but eventually I just skipped the capsules and would wash a teaspoon of tumeric down with water (twice a day).
Old 25-01-2016, 22:14   #66

Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I will say, I do not believe in alternative medicine in any way. Tumeric was actually suggested by my Dr. and he cited a few studies. He suggested I try it as see if it helped.

Originally I got capsules at a health food store. That got expensive so I started buying empty capsules and filling them myself. That worked for a while, but eventually I just skipped the capsules and would wash a teaspoon of tumeric down with water (twice a day).
I too am one not normally devoted to alternative medicine but after suffering awful side effects from prednisone I didn't want to have risk taking powerful arthritis medicine. Liver damage and who knows what else. It's already enough that I gained weight, ruptured my achilles tendon and now dealing with ruptured tendons in my shoulder as side effect results of the medicine and the devastation of an inflammatory response throughout my body almost crippling me.

So I've been trying cinnamon which is an anti inflammatory. I will now add turmeric to my diet. I'm already impressed with the results of the cinnamon. :-)

Thanks again and regards,
Chaya

Sorry to all for the slight digression off topic. But you know you now have perhaps a natural treatment in conjunction with medicine to help fight joint inflammation and pain from those awful mosquito carried diseases
Old 25-01-2016, 22:22   #67

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
An interesting discussion. Thanks to the OP. Id not previously heard of zika.
Most welcome! It is for that reason I posted it: I hadn't either until a day ago. And what a horrific situation for the thousands of affected mothers, to have your child born permanently deformed and handicapped. It occurred to me that there are plenty of families and couples sailing in the affected area…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 22:56   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ann, I think its the same buzzard
Other mosquitoes can carry Ross River Fever.
Old 26-01-2016, 06:20   #69

Boat: Antares 44i

Here's some more warning about Zika and what it can do to babies in utero (this from Brazil)

In this Dec. 23, 2015 photo, Dejailson Arruda holds his daughter Luiza at their house in Santa Cruz do Capibaribe, Pernambuco state, Brazil. Luiza was born in October with a rare condition, known as microcephaly. Luiza's mother Angelica Pereira was infected with the Zika virus after a mosquito bite. Brazilian health authorities are convinced that Luiza's condition is related to the Zika virus that infected her mother during pregnancy.
AP Photo/Felipe Dana Thousands of Brazil’s newborns last year had abnormally tiny heads and potentially debilitating brain damage. In 2015 the country reported nearly 3,000 cases of the incurable condition, called microcephaly—about 20 times more than the prior year. In the nation’s northeast, where most of the cases occurred, government officials have already declared a state of emergency. Now international researchers and Brazilian authorities are rushing to tamp down the problem.
The trouble is they are not sure exactly what is causing the phenomenon or how to address it. They do have one strong suspect—a mosquito-borne disease called Zika that usually causes short-term rashes and joint aches, and is plaguing the same areas in Brazil. There is already evidence the virus can cross the placental barrier: Zika has been detected in the amniotic fluid of two pregnant women with microcephalic fetuses in the state of Paraiba. What’s more, viruses from the same genus have the ability to replicate once they reach the central nervous system, providing some indication of how the viruses could potentially cause microcephaly in the first place.
Zika disease, however, has never been known to cause microcephaly before. (Microcephaly is typically caused by exposure to toxic substances during pregnancy, genetic abnormalities or diseases during pregnancy like rubella or herpes). Then again, scientists also know very little about Zika. In fact, until 2007 there were only sporadic cases of people infected with the virus (at least ones that were laboratory confirmed), with small outbreaks in Africa and Southeast Asia since being discovered in 1947 in Uganda.
Now, the Zika virus is rapidly advancing across new terrain. In May 2015 Brazil reported its first case of Zika and by December 2015 the virus had made its way into several countries in Central and South America, such as Colombia and Mexico, and even showed up on the island of Puerto Rico. The rapid spread suggests a change in the Zika virus, one which scientists are racing against the clock to pinpoint. Worryingly, Zika has also been linked with the future development of Guillain–Barré syndrome, an autoimmune disease that could lead to paralysis.
Researchers know a virus like Zika could mutate to become more fit, essentially allowing it to transmit more easily from one host to another in order to survive. But a mutation designed specifically to help it cross the natural placental barrier between mother and fetus would not necessarily be too beneficial for the virus because it has been successfully transmitted in more traditional ways, says Scott Weaver, an expert on mosquito-borne viral diseases at The University of Texas Medical Branch (U.T.M.B.) at Galveston. A more likely possibility for its rapid reach, he says, is that the virus may have adapted in recent years to have a higher level of viremia, or more virus present in any given drop of blood. That would allow Zika to be transmitted at a greater rate because it would increase the chances of a mosquito picking up the virus and transmitting it to another person after biting an infected human. A fringe benefit of this viremia would be that although the virus would not have any innate increase in its ability to cross the placental barrier, its high concentration may boost its chances of making the leap. Weaver’s team at U.T.M.B. is studying the virus now in the hopes of pinning down such answers.
But that work will not determine if Zika is definitely fueling the microcephaly cases. For that, still other researchers at U.T.M.B., at the request of Brazilian authorities, are part of a larger team attempting to shore up the connection between Zika and microcephaly. Two U.T.M.B. researchers, Nikos Vasilakis and Shannan Rossi, were in Brazil over Christmas helping to set up diagnostic capabilities to test umbilical cord blood for signs of Zika at birth.
The signs they are looking for lie in the newborns’ antibodies. Because the antibodies for Zika virus look so much like those for dengue or yellow fever, (both common in Brazil) it is hard to detect if a pregnant woman has contracted Zika or had one of those other conditions in the past. But lab testing of cord blood antibodies that show up in response to a recent exposure—called immunoglobulin M antibodies, or IgM—would allow scientists to detect if the fetus was infected with Zika and that it happened recently (unlike tests that would pick up longer term antibodies transmitted from the mom). Theoretically, those tests, too, may also pick up similar-looking dengue virus and confuse the results, Weaver says, but the chance of such a false positive is rare because fetal dengue infection is so uncommon. “By trying to diagnose more of these cases at birth by sampling cord blood, they may learn more about how these fetuses were infected,” he says.
Even without that data there is already some indication the Zika–microcephaly connection is more than just geographical coincidence. There have also been reports of genetic material from Zika being detected in the blood tissue of a microcephalic baby from the northern Brazilian state of Pará. (That infant died within five minutes of birth.) And, anecdotally, some of the women who went on to birth children with microcephaly also remembered having a rash during pregnancy—a potential but not definitive symptom of Zika. In addition, beyond Brazil there have been reports in French Polynesia of an unusual uptick in central nervous system problems among babies born in the past couple years in areas associated with Zika outbreaks. Further lab testing of those mothers found that at least some of them may have had asymptomatic Zika virus.
But this information, by itself, is not yet airtight. In Brazil further investigations continue even as the government rolls out public health education and mosquito control efforts. If the new cord blood information and other research soon firms up the Zika–microcephaly connection, perhaps that will add further impetus to develop a vaccine for Zika—possibly by adapting one already in use for Zika’s cousin, dengue.

What's Behind Brazil's Alarming Surge in Babies Born with Small Heads - Scientific American

Stay safe everyone!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 06:32   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Most welcome! It is for that reason I posted it: I hadn't either until a day ago. And what a horrific situation for the thousands of affected mothers, to have your child born permanently deformed and handicapped. It occurred to me that there are plenty of families and couples sailing in the affected area…
Have you seen what the effects are on the children that have been affected with this virus? These children look like the old world depictions and relif art one would see at a Mayan or Aztec temple/pyramid..I often thought that the art was just exaggrations of people at the time but the poor children look just like the dipicted art you would see if you looked through the Codex Mendes or similar Codexes..Small head ,steep angled foreheads look like the antiquted human head effigy jugs found through out the Americas ..Wonder if this Virus has made the rounds before now and if it was more previlent 500-600 yrs.ago? It is so sad to see those poor children affected by this scurge...I read that it was noted for the first time in 1947 and that it came from Africa..
Old 26-01-2016, 07:05   #71

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

If you're a NPR listener, The Diane Rheme Show is doing an hour on this virus right now. 10:00am Eastern time, US. A live show , BTW.
Old 26-01-2016, 07:46   #72
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
If you're a NPR listener, The Diane Rheme Show is doing an hour on this virus right now. 10:00am Eastern time, US. A live show , BTW.
A great radio program for sure..I love Dianne and will miss her after she retires this year..I have been tuning into NPR since its inception back in the 70s..I have been on her program 3 times regarding the cultivation of Cocao(I have an interest in a cocao farm in Jamaica) , the use and need or not for surgical masks when SARS was such an issue and I had just returned from Asia and was preparing to return (planes were crowded ),and the changing face of the world after the election of President Obama..Im sure the program today will be as informative as most of her /their work..
Old 27-01-2016, 11:53   #73

Boat: Niagara 35

Thank you for this thread.

I am deeply disappointed that an important thread about a real medical risk emerging for families cruising in affected areas has somehow degenerated into conspiracy theories and mud slinging.

My wife is 3 months pregnant and we're planning a trip to the sun before the baby is born. We were planning on Mexico since we can't afford Hawaii right now with the Canadian dollar where it is.

I knew Zika was a big problem in Brazil but had no idea that it was in Mexico as well. This thread gave me that knowledge. Hopefully it will also help get the word out the many, many kid boats in the affected areas.
Old 27-01-2016, 12:17   #74
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Thank you for this thread.

I am deeply disappointed that an important thread about a real medical risk emerging for families cruising in affected areas has somehow degenerated into conspiracy theories and mud slinging.

My wife is 3 months pregnant and we're planning a trip to the sun before the baby is born. We were planning on Mexico since we can't afford Hawaii right now with the Canadian dollar where it is.

I knew Zika was a big problem in Brazil but had no idea that it was in Mexico as well. This thread gave me that knowledge. Hopefully it will also help get the word out the many, many kid boats in the affected areas.
I missed the mud slinging and conspiracy part ..where is it at ?....3 minutes after my post ; Never mind I went back and read it for myself..
Old 27-01-2016, 13:14   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You can look on the CDC site Zika-affected Areas | Zika virus | CDC to see the places where Zika has been known to occur. You might consider southern California, Florida, or perhaps British Virgin Islands. Unfortunately, there are some states in the US where cases have shown up. This may be people who have traveled from affected areas. But I think all of us in the US, particularly in the southern half, are going to have to be aware of this and other mosquito-borne diseases and take precautionary measures. Given the particular dangers to pregnant women, they need to be extra careful.

Tags
cal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: