Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 12:48   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 103
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Alright.. We are gonna need more scientific info.. Brands, dosage, ect... LOL..

Not to derail this topic, but on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad was the sickness?
I can state with equanimity that when suffering from a bout of the trots in India a few years ago , the only cure was a bottle of vodka.
I tried antibiotics ,being dipped in the sea by a religious person and various hallucinogenics.
Only vodka worked.Therefore I hereby submit my scientific findings to date.
__________________

__________________
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 12:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This type of mosquito was nearly wiped out by interventions (not DDT) and was allowed to re grow by countries not willing to continue the eradication investment.

So if it becomes serious again there is the choice of another erradication program.

(But how many kids will be born with huge brain damage before it becomes serious enough?)
The skeeters used to keep populations in South America in check(if you belive in the survival of the fittest) then Dupont thought they could do one better by spraying DDT..They outlawed it in the US back in the 70s but still produce and sell it in South America,Africa etc. today..Makes as much sense as the Europeans thinking they could change things for the better for the Native Americans where women did all the work ,there were no taxes, and men were able to go hunting and fishing..I know I am going to be lambastd for this one,have at it..
__________________

__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:00   #48
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
So!My sentences are not constructed properly. Ipso Facto, I must be a moron to be disregarded.
Having attempted to disgrace me with your Black Death scenario's ( yawn ). You try to destroy me with an attack on sentence construction.That's really hurtful.How will I sleep tonight ?
You had better learn how to do it in the correct manner or you will be labeled by those that can as 'unworthy"... perception is reality(sad aint it?) and that is usually the way it goes with most people..Damn reality let me screw your head up with some "perceptions"...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:02   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Dr. Sea's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Annapolis/ BVI
Boat: Oyster 55
Posts: 189
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Alright.. We are gonna need more scientific info.. Brands, dosage, ect... LOL.. Not to derail this topic, but on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad was the sickness?
Chikungunya is not as bad as dengue but worse than zika. The symptoms are the same as dengue which made diagnosis more difficult. The extent of the effects seems to vary significantly in different people. I was weak, feverish, and bent over (chikungunya is an African word that means "contorted") for a couple of weeks. With massive doses of prednisone I was better for the next 4 months while the effects were diminishing. It triggered rheumatoid arthritis for which I still take medication (methotrexate) but I haven't experienced noticeable effects in about a year.

The moral of the story is this: Mosquitos are more than just a nuisance and they seem to flourish in many of the places where sailors like to be. So using an insect repellant with at least 15% DEET is a very smart precaution. It will protect against many mosquito-born diseases. There is also strong evidence that mosquitos are more attracted to dark colored clothing; light colored clothing with stripes or patterns is best.

P.S. I believe the brands my buddies recommend are Pusser's and Mount Gay.
__________________
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:04   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 103
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Can you please send me one to get on with (preferably on Candy Crush)?
Absolutely , Lizzy Belle , I am , however , having a problem knowing what Candy crush is.
I also want you to know that I mean no disrespect to you and that I sometimes allow my mouth to get myself into trouble when presented with alarmist bollocks by other parties.
PEACE !
__________________
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:11   #51
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USVI/BVI
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,590
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Chikungunya is not as bad as dengue but worse than zika. The symptoms are the same as dengue which made diagnosis more difficult. The extent of the effects seems to vary significantly in different people. I was weak, feverish, and bent over (chikungunya is an African word that means "contorted") for a couple of weeks. With massive doses of prednisone I was better for the next 4 months while the effects were diminishing. It triggered rheumatoid arthritis for which I still take medication (methotrexate) but I haven't experienced noticeable effects in about a year.

The moral of the story is this: Mosquitos are more than just a nuisance and they seem to flourish in many of the places where sailors like to be. So using an insect repellant with at least 15% DEET is a very smart precaution. It will protect against many mosquito-born diseases. There is also strong evidence that mosquitos are more attracted to dark colored clothing; light colored clothing with stripes or patterns is best.

P.S. I believe the brands my buddies recommend are Pusser's and Mount Gay.
Damn! Thanks for that.. It puts it into perspective for me. I didn't realize it was that bad!

Done.. Vodka for the trots and Pusser's + Mount Gay (I added them together to be thorough) for protection against mosquitoes. Just to be on the safe side, I think I will make DEET my new best friend.
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:19   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
Dr. Sea's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Annapolis/ BVI
Boat: Oyster 55
Posts: 189
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Damn! Thanks for that.. It puts it into perspective for me. I didn't realize it was that bad!

Done.. Vodka for the trots and Pusser's + Mount Gay (I added them together to be thorough) for protection against mosquitoes. Just to be on the safe side, I think I will make DEET my new best friend.
Don't forget to wear your Hawaiian shirts!
__________________
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:57   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
Symphony's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ct
Boat: Tartan 4100
Posts: 396
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Anyone sailing USA, Caribbean, Central America and Pacific Islands should seriously be investing in mosquito covers for use on all entry ways from dusk till morning. Long sleeves and long pants with anti mosquito spray (they are toxic) in remaining exposed areas. Other anti winged pest strategies can be using blue light zappers and or citronella lamps for your back of boat sundowners.

Those lucky enough to have catamarans are able to use zippered mosquito enclosures around their cockpits. Great for inviting others not so lucky to have such a comfortable protected area at the marina over for drinks. Just a thought.

Here is a device that seems interesting.

Alpha Mosquito Trap (PRO 900) | Mega-Catchâ„¢ Mosquito Traps
hi WalkAbout.
where would you place a megacatch trap on a boat?
__________________
Symphony
Tartan 4100
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:52   #54
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 8,645
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

It's really a pity this thread started off with an argument. The desire to win arguments is strong, but it can lead to really distasteful behavior.

Speaking only for myself, I am glad to have the takeaway from the discussion the fact that we can defend against this disease by normal mosquito prophylaxis. It has moved aegyptii up on my must kill when seen list, too. Just like I'm deadly to the Ross River Fever ones. That part is sport.

If anyone here is interested in learning more about mosquito prophylaxis than already given above, s/he can join IAMAT (International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers) for a small donation, and receive enough educational material to keep you from being bitten, which is the name of the game.

Ann
__________________
Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, , East Coast of Australia
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:02   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 103
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It's really a pity this thread started off with an argument. The desire to win arguments is strong, but it can lead to really distasteful behavior.

Speaking only for myself, I am glad to have the takeaway from the discussion the fact that we can defend against this disease by normal mosquito prophylaxis. It has moved aegyptii up on my must kill when seen list, too. Just like I'm deadly to the Ross River Fever ones. That part is sport.

If anyone here is interested in learning more about mosquito prophylaxis than already given above, s/he can join IAMAT (International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers) for a small donation, and receive enough educational material to keep you from being bitten, which is the name of the game.

Ann
For a small donation eh! Enough said !
__________________
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:29   #56
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,739
Images: 25
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It has moved aegyptii up on my must kill when seen list, too. Just like I'm deadly to the Ross River Fever ones. That part is sport.

Ann
Ann, I think its the same buzzard

Quote:


Aedes aegypti - yellow fever mosquito
Bites man, carries chikungunya, dengue fever, heartworm, Murray Valley encephalitis, Ross River virus, West Nile virus, Yellow Fever
__________________
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:38   #57
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
hi WalkAbout.
where would you place a megacatch trap on a boat?
I would think either in the dock or if on a ball close to your bow. I really don't know but if I was in a high mosquito environment I would consider experimenting with one. The entry level model isn't that expensive
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:53   #58
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Chikungunya is not as bad as dengue but worse than zika. The symptoms are the same as dengue which made diagnosis more difficult. The extent of the effects seems to vary significantly in different people. I was weak, feverish, and bent over (chikungunya is an African word that means "contorted") for a couple of weeks. With massive doses of prednisone I was better for the next 4 months while the effects were diminishing. It triggered rheumatoid arthritis for which I still take medication (methotrexate) but I haven't experienced noticeable effects in about a year.

The moral of the story is this: Mosquitos are more than just a nuisance and they seem to flourish in many of the places where sailors like to be. So using an insect repellant with at least 15% DEET is a very smart precaution. It will protect against many mosquito-born diseases. There is also strong evidence that mosquitos are more attracted to dark colored clothing; light colored clothing with stripes or patterns is best.

P.S. I believe the brands my buddies recommend are Pusser's and Mount Gay.
Hi Dr Sea.

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience. It sounds terrible. Just a thought regarding high dose long term use of prednisone. I was in 50mg a day for over a year following an almost fatal dose of bacterial pneumonia. This medication is great for keeping you alive but has awful side effects. It has taken me over 2 years to get myself off if it. Everytime I tapered diwn dosage and then went off the prednisone I would suffer muscle aches throughout my body and nearly every joint had an arthritic response. Now finally I have been off it for 3 months and no muscle pain and only issue is swelling in my left hand fingers. Worse in the morning where I'm unable to make a fist. I've been taking cinnamon in capsule form daily and now I'm finding that the hand swelling is getting less. For a long long time I thought I would never be able to lead an active life and certainly not be able to handle the ropes on a sailboat. At long last I can now see myself being able to beat this.



Regards,
Chaya
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:56   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
Symphony's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ct
Boat: Tartan 4100
Posts: 396
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I would think either in the dock or if on a ball close to your bow. I really don't know but if I was in a high mosquito environment I would consider experimenting with one. The entry level model isn't that expensive
Yes, that is true, so it is reasonable to test it.

I just read some more on these devices and the implementation plan is for them to run during feeding times of the mozzies, and to run long enough (days, weeks) to break the breeding cycle by killing a critical amount of female mozzies. the cycle will be restarted by the next rain. also, placement is suggested to be far from humans as possible, intercepting the path from the insect breeding environment to the humans.

they also need CO2 cylinder.

S0-- such a trap might not be effective for a yacht unless you were in a spot for a long time and in a dry climate.
__________________
Symphony
Tartan 4100
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 18:13   #60
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Yes, that is true, so it is reasonable to test it.

I just read some more on these devices and the implementation plan is for them to run during feeding times of the mozzies, and to run long enough (days, weeks) to break the breeding cycle by killing a critical amount of female mozzies. the cycle will be restarted by the next rain. also, placement is suggested to be far from humans as possible, intercepting the path from the insect breeding environment to the humans.

they also need CO2 cylinder.

S0-- such a trap might not be effective for a yacht unless you were in a spot for a long time and in a dry climate.
I think it looks like the entry level model uses attracting strips.
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now I know why pirates are spreading capcook Health, Safety & Related Gear 23 28-11-2008 05:51


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.