Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2007, 03:05   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Warm, dry gloves?

The last time it rained on me while sailing it was below 70 and my hands got very cold.

Can anybody tell me about good gloves that will keep me warm and dry in temps from 45 F to 72 F?
It would be great if they was cheep.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 04:36   #2
cruiser

Will you be doing a lot of line handling, or just steering for the most part?

I use kevlar reinforced snowboarding mittens down to the 20 degree point (never moved the boat in less than that).

I was an avid (and semi-pro) snowboarder waaaay back in my teenage years and have used the same gear from that sport for sailing in the cold weather. It's all pretty waterproof and breathable.

This particular example may not be the best brand or quality, but it popped up first on my Google search for an example:

Level Matrix Snowboard Mitten

They have kevlar built into the palms and thumbs to keep the mitten from falling apart. I have pairs of these from the 90's that are still going strong after years of snowboarding and sailing in them. Pay a lot of $$ for them and you won't have to replace them. I think mine were $80.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 05:34   #3

Boat: samson c-mist 32
I use marigolds for above and below the water, totally waterproof as I use them for diving, and cheap, about $3 pair. I buy them by the dozen as they do get punctured from working with anything sharp or pointy. Use either cotton inserts, $2-3 or wool $6-7 if its really cold.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 10:43   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Try WalMart. If you are in a warm climate, they sell thin (3mm) neoprene skin-diving gloves with grippy bumps on them, about $15/pair. Two or three times that much in a diving store.

Or, fleece winter glove (Polartech) are inexpensive and fairly warm--but slippery, you couldn't haul lines with them. Also from WalMart and company, $10/pair.

Plain yellow Kevlar gloves aren't very warm at all, but they beat nothing and they wear well. Much harder to find and pricier.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 15:56   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
If it is very cold, I like to wear standard sailing gloves, with a good pair of overmittens that I can whip on/off as necessary. "Goretex" shell with "Thinsulate" lining are probably the best I have come across.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 16:04   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
In my previous job in Coast Guard Fleet I held the Research & Development file for uniform clothing. One of the problems we were working on was mittens and gloves for cold weather work. The best choice for cold weather work ended up to be the natural wool mittens with a durable leather outer liner. IIRC the wool was the quicker to wick moisture away from the skin and dry faster as well. The guys working on the decks retrieving/laying buoys in -20 deg C temps would keep 3 or 4 pair on the drying racks at all times.

The high-tech gloves that the guys liked were something like what Scully & Weyalan described. They were a polypropylene inner liner with Thinsulate insulation and a Goretex outer shell. They weren't as durable as the natural hide outerliners but for guys that needed more dexterity they were superior. If you're not going to be needing that type of cold protection I would think a divers "swim skin" type of glove would work well. A few guys (myself included) would use them inside our warmer mitts.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote