Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14   #1

Boat: Still Ogling
Video: Coast Guard Rescues 4

US Coast Guard rescues 4 people from a 27ft. Sea Pro fishing boat which came apart as they were under way. Severe hull damage is evident in the video.

Original details of incident are provided in the video link. I apologize if this is a re-post, but it is quite a recent event and I did not see it on CF.

I'm sure there are safety take-aways to be found here for all who watch the video. One of them was that regardless of what happened to the vessel itself, EPIRBs do in fact work, and these guys had two (2) of them on board. You can clearly hear the Coast Guard swimmer state that they received the EPIRB signal, and it appears to have been a fast rescue.

Another interesting point for me was how much of an absolute failure the flare was that one of the boaters attempted to activate. He become so frustrated he simply tossed the striker in the water. Interesting to say the least.

Very happy that everyone is okay.

YachtOgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Video: Coast Guard Rescues 4

Didn't watch the whole thing, but must have been quick, the Gopro battery was still good.
Does bring a few questions though, how do you bust open a hull with less than 1' seas?

Different generation I guess, not so sure my first priority would have been the Gopro
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:53   #3

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtOgler View Post
US Coast Guard rescues 4 people from a 27ft. Sea Pro fishing boat which came apart as they were under way. Severe hull damage is evident in the video.

Original details of incident are provided in the video link. I apologize if this is a re-post, but it is quite a recent event and I did not see it on CF.

I'm sure there are safety take-aways to be found here for all who watch the video. One of them was that regardless of what happened to the vessel itself, EPIRBs do in fact work, and these guys had two (2) of them on board. You can clearly hear the Coast Guard swimmer state that they received the EPIRB signal, and it appears to have been a fast rescue.

Another interesting point for me was how much of an absolute failure the flare was that one of the boaters attempted to activate. He become so frustrated he simply tossed the striker in the water. Interesting to say the least.

Very happy that everyone is okay.

I just saw that too. Glad they had an EPIRB on board, shame 3 out of the 4 don't know how to put on a life vest.

They were on properly after the rescue swimmer joined them.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:58   #4

Boat: Vagabond 14

Look at the keel and how its split...

they were boogieing along and hit something that ripped it open.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:35   #5

Interesting to watch.
Chopper circles to get to his target in the upwind position and crabs up to the upturned boat because the pilot (unlike a fixed wing) sits on the starboard side of the aircraft and he can keep a better visual on the boat.

If the weather is bad and there is a lot of spray or horizontal water they can reverse the approach so that the crew chief has eyes on the target, and as he has a vertical view via the port side door he can better monitor the height from the water which is more difficult to assess from the pilots position. Some operators used to operate that way all the time having both a crew chief, a winch man and a diver; but it makes the machine more tender for the pilot to control having the door open on the windward side.

Chopper comes down to about two rotor spans to release the diver which reduce water impact and is far enough from the wreck not to add to the calamity. The diver out he climbs to 3 rotor spans and starts to move in a clockwise circle because a helo is somewhat at risk in the hover position and in low wind speeds is near max power.

Once moving they gain translative lift across the rotor disk and substantially reduce power which is always safer.The pilot maintains visual on the target circling the boat in a clockwise pattern while the diver gets everyone organised for boat to boat retrieval and the aircrew help the rescue craft approach the wreck.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:21   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Four idiots and a GoPro.
And just consider; they'll likely each be voting soon.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:40   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Four idiots and a GoPro.
Wow, just wow. Four guys prepared for an emergency, one with the collectiveness to film the situation and you are worried if they'll be voting soon..................
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Wow, just wow. Four guys prepared for an emergency, one with the collectiveness to film the situation and you are worried if they'll be voting soon..................
Quite, we have no idea how they managed to turn over a speed boat in flat calm conditions. It would be better to with hold views until more is known, but then this is the internet were everyone is an arm chair expert.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:53   #9

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Four idiots and a GoPro.
Let's see - they had not one, but two epirbs, life jackets, flares, water, sun tan lotion, portable vhf and who knows what else. They called in their emergency, got all the people accounted for, with life jackets and onto the upturned hull without injury. And you are calling them idiots? I'd say it's you that's the idiot. Maybe you'll understand if you ever get off your computer and leave the dock.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue