Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 17:04   #226

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I guess they aren't!

No disrespect to family or the skipper but methinks the family aren't impressed with the whole saga, especially the apparently "permanent" move to Fiji.
See my comment at 197 re wife and lawyers.
I think he would be within his rights to ask border farce etc not to publicise his whereabouts......
Old 24-09-2015, 17:16   #227
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
See my comment at 197 re wife and lawyers.
I think he would be within his rights to ask border farce etc not to publicise his whereabouts......
I was going to say something but chose not to..

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 17:26   #228

Poor guy. Escaped from being eaten by sharks just to return to land and being eaten by lawyers.

I would try to get some money fast, repair the boat / buy new sails / provisions and get the hell out of there to join my hot, girlfriend... But that's me

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:11   #229

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I guess they aren't!

No disrespect to family or the skipper but methinks the family aren't impressed with the whole saga, especially the apparently "permanent" move to Fiji.
Oh hell, he is an adult. If wants to move to Fiji so what. I can't see that being an issue.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:27   #230
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Small Drift, but I was just told from an Australian friend in Bali that he no longer gets his Australian pension, because he is not residing Oz.

Would an Australian sailor, living on board an Australian registered yacht in Fiji, still be eligible to collect his pension?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:36   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Small Drift, but I was just told from an Australian friend in Bali that he no longer gets his Australian pension, because he is not residing Oz.

Would an Australian sailor, living on board an Australian registered yacht in Fiji, still be eligible to collect his pension?
It's complicated:"If you've already been receiving the Age Pension for greater than two years while in Australia you can move overseas and receive the pension. The amount you'll receive depends on how long you'll stay overseas and how long you lived in Australia since being 16.

Living overseas for greater than 26 weeks will see your pension reduced to an amount in proportion to the number of years you were an Australian resident once over the age of 16. If you've lived in Australia for greater than 25 years you'll receive the full amount.

If you've lived in Australia for less than 25 years you'll receive an amount in proportion to the years as a resident.\

If you've come back to Australia and have started receiving the Age Pension in the last two years you won't be able to receive the Age Pension overseas. In these cases you must live in Australia for at least two years since your last arrival for residence."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:36   #232

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Yes.

He would receive a little less, but once granted he would still be elligible. There are some complexities, but having it already in place is the key.

Edit: I see StuM posted at the same time with further detail. I assume being 78 he would have been on the pension for years. Note that the 25 year residency rule for migrants was recently changed from 35.
Old 24-09-2015, 18:38   #233

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Sadley, there has been a development this morning. Apparently it's a bit rough in the Bay, and he's set off another Epirb. But he's not co-operating in coming into shore.

It seems police will try to bring him into Scarborough Harbour as he's just off there. Volunteers are being sought to assist if anyone can help in the area.

Please don't read too much into this. It's obviously not good. But we don't know exactly what his problem is as he's not co operating and three times with an Epirb is more than enough.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:15   #234

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Sadley, there has been a development this morning. Apparently it's a bit rough in the Bay, and he's set off another Epirb. But he's not co-operating in coming into shore.

It seems police will try to bring him into Scarborough Harbour as he's just off there. Volunteers are being sought to assist if anyone can help in the area.

Please don't read too much into this. It's obviously not good. But we don't know exactly what his problem is as he's not co operating and three times with an Epirb is more than enough.
That's kinda weird... popping the EPIRB when in easy VHF range of a whole lot of well meaning VMR folks who would come tow him in. I'm beginning to wonder about his mentition.

Looks like he will likely survive this ordeal, but I dunno what will become of him once ashore. Up till now I have been supportive of most of his actions, but this is sure strange, and definitely a PITA for the authorities.

Jim
Old 24-09-2015, 19:33   #235

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The fact that the police are involved also seems a little strange to me. But the whole series of incidents has seemed strange to me, as far as that goes. Maybe one of the Australian posters knows if police involvement is normal for this type of incident, or whether the family have had to get some kind of a court order, having him deemed a danger to himself?

Another supposition I made was that what he had loaded onto the boat was his. What if it were all possessions of the rest of the family?

I guess what I'm wondering if if we're seeing the outside of dementia in some form; or the outside of some other physical condition? or greed? or?????? We don't really know who the shoreside family are, my guess before was not the "cruel ex-wife", but concerned adult children/heirs. At the moment, i'm out of guesses.

I do hope this has a decent resolution. It is sounding like there could be a confrontation involved.

The EPIRB again could just be due to the fact that he didn't or wasn't able to use his VHF. Radio issues or dehydration? or mentition/lack thereof?

More questions than answers here for sure!

Ann
Old 24-09-2015, 19:38   #236

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Coast Guard Redcliffe has the boat under tow for Scarborough Harbour. The family have been notified. Will be cleared on arrival.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:02   #237

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Would spring for grog and a meal were I near. Best wishes.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 25-09-2015, 01:20   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The fact that the police are involved also seems a little strange to me. But the whole series of incidents has seemed strange to me, as far as that goes. Maybe one of the Australian posters knows if police involvement is normal for this type of incident, or whether the family have had to get some kind of a court order, having him deemed a danger to himself?

Another supposition I made was that what he had loaded onto the boat was his. What if it were all possessions of the rest of the family?

I guess what I'm wondering if if we're seeing the outside of dementia in some form; or the outside of some other physical condition? or greed? or?????? We don't really know who the shoreside family are, my guess before was not the "cruel ex-wife", but concerned adult children/heirs. At the moment, i'm out of guesses.

I do hope this has a decent resolution. It is sounding like there could be a confrontation involved.

The EPIRB again could just be due to the fact that he didn't or wasn't able to use his VHF. Radio issues or dehydration? or mentition/lack thereof?

More questions than answers here for sure!

Ann
Ann, he's a 'missing person' which is certainly a police matter. But in addition he's not really co operating. The family have not taken out any sort of order. All the possessions he loaded his boat with are his. His family concerned about him here is his daughter, who is just very concerned for him. They have gone to the docks to await his arrival. Apparently quite a few people are down there.
Old 25-09-2015, 03:35   #239

Well folks, what a drama. But it's now over. He's safely tied up. His daughter is very relieved that he's finally back.

I have no other news on his welfare.
Old 25-09-2015, 03:45   #240
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

No longer "missing"; that is good news.
I'm sure he will have an interesting next few days as he "recovers"!

Thanks RC for all the effort you have put into this thread and this man's welfare.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht