Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 00:10   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Port Clyde Maine,

I actually had posted earlier in this thread that we would have a look for the missing boat when we came into Noumea.

I reported back.

Kindly explain your issues with me or my posts.

By the way, do you not think that if he was still okay (still not verified, by the way), he left on a 2 week passage with 5 weeks worth of water and grub, how is that unprepared?

Ann
Old 10-09-2015, 00:11   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yup, idiots come in all ages.. I've had two in the galley department.... once after heading out on a 14 day run found we only had 3 onions.....
The other time , 0600 about to depart on a 40 day run.... I notice we have no tomatoes..... I ask the question ..the answer from the one in charge of buying tomatoes ' the shop only had ugly ones.....'
Both mature age and well qualified in their professions but still dills......
Sorry, but I'd have to side with the crew on that one. I also hate ugly tomatoes. haha
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 00:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Port Clyde Maine,

I actually had posted earlier in this thread that we would have a look for the missing boat when we came into Noumea.

I reported back.

Kindly explain your issues with me or my posts.

Ann
Hi Ann, didn't notice your reply. My apologies. No issues with your posts. Take care.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:43   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here's hoping for a happy outcome..
And regardless those who say 'he did it doing the thing he loved..'
Very few of us actually wanna go.. come the moment..
From the rescue ship:

"The sole occupant on the yacht was a man aged in his 70s.

A pump had failed.

The Pacific Jewel stayed on hand until a New Zealand Navy vessel then arrived to help repair the yacht."

Hydraulic steering pump?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:57   #50

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
From the rescue ship:

A pump had failed.

The Pacific Jewel stayed on hand until a New Zealand Navy vessel then arrived to help repair the yacht."

Hydraulic steering pump?
Interesting... I look forward to further info....

It would appear ( to paraphrase an oldy).... that age and tenacity beat youth and money every time...

If this had been captain and Mrs Megabux (with their fleet of cars, motorbikes, and an aeroplane) on their fancy new yacht in the ARC I bet they would have pressed the 'beam me up Scottie' button weeks ago....
Old 10-09-2015, 01:59   #51

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I've been busy at work. Come back and a bit surprised to see Ye old CF armchair assumptions take hold.

Can we just be pleased he was found and is ok..
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:02   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I've been busy at work. Come back and a bit surprised to see Ye old CF armchair assumptions take hold.

Can we just be pleased he was found and is ok..
No armchair stuff, none intended.... just a little Boatman jab. Which is PC OK since the fellow is safe.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:16   #53

I dream of owning an armchair.....
Old 10-09-2015, 02:42   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
From the rescue ship:

A pump had failed.

Hydraulic steering pump?
GO the KIWIs!! The NZed navy is the only such organization that I am aware of that not only rescues folks at sea, but actually aids them in fixing whatever is wrong with their vessel and sends them on their way. In one case I am personally aware of, they not only aided in repairing a Valiant 40 that had been inverted and dismasted, but took off the skipper's wife who was seriously injured, loaded the boat with fuel and loaned the skipper a swabbie to help him motor back to NZ. No other marine SAR folks are so understanding of the plight of the sailor in distress. My hat is permanently off to them.

I do hope that in time we will learn the details of this event. Perhaps we will learn something useful.

Jim
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06   #55

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
GO the KIWIs!! The NZed navy is the only such organization that I am aware of that not only rescues folks at sea, but actually aids them in fixing whatever is wrong with their vessel and sends them on their way. In one case I am personally aware of, they not only aided in repairing a Valiant 40 that had been inverted and dismasted, but took off the skipper's wife who was seriously injured, loaded the boat with fuel and loaned the skipper a swabbie to help him motor back to NZ. No other marine SAR folks are so understanding of the plight of the sailor in distress. My hat is permanently off to them.

I do hope that in time we will learn the details of this event. Perhaps we will learn something useful.

Jim

Here, here, Jim. Very much agree. NZers should be proud of thier men and women in uniform. Well done.

Love reading something like this as I motorsail in light winds off Venice, Fl heading for Port Charlotte waiting for the sunrise.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:15   #56

Unfortunately guys, he's far from out of the woods.

He's twice used an epirb and has refused to leave his vessel. His sails are apparently torn but he's insisting on sailing back to Brisbane. The NZ authorities have given him a sat phone and another ten days of food, but they want him to leave the vessel.

I would think the Australian authorities will not be so willing to continue assistance.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:52   #57

Are there any Queenslanders, Brisbane area members in a position to go out and assist him in if I get his co ordinates as he gets closer towards Brisbane ?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:25   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Not to be flippant and I certainly pray this all turns out well, but 78 years old, sailing out, and a girlfriend to boot? That's the way I'd like it.
Sign me up for this checkout package too Tellie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Spectacular stuff Jim... Now I know where to do my "twilight sailing"

Quote:
Unfortunately guys, he's far from out of the woods.

He's twice used an epirb and has refused to leave his vessel. His sails are apparently torn but he's insisting on sailing back to Brisbane. The NZ authorities have given him a sat phone and another ten days of food, but they want him to leave the vessel.

I would think the Australian authorities will not be so willing to continue assistance.
Tenacity to be sure... If all your worldly possessions are surrounded by blue hull paint I can understand...

Now that he's on the radar so to speak... the outcome appears a tad brighter...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:21   #59

From Jim 'GO the KIWIs!! The NZed navy is the only such organization that I am aware of that not only rescues folks at sea, but actually aids them in fixing whatever is wrong with their vessel and sends them on their way. In one case I am personally aware of, they not only aided in repairing a Valiant 40 that had been inverted and dismasted, but took off the skipper's wife who was seriously injured, loaded the boat with fuel and loaned the skipper a swabbie to help him motor back to NZ. No other marine SAR folks are so understanding of the plight of the sailor in distress. My hat is permanently off to them.'

Another RNZN story...as seen on TV in NZ so its got to be true. When that last cyclone blasted Vanuatu it was heading off to the south to give the Kermadecs a tickle up. HMNZS Wellington was up at Raul Island and had decided it was not a good place to be. Chanced upon a young French single hander... offered to give him a lift... he had no idea what was coming his way..steady glass and a blue sky...all that stuff.

Anywaze... twice the skipper of Wellington went over in a RIB and had a half hour chat with the singlehander explaining what his prospects were...after the second visit the young man packed his bags and quit his ship which must have been very hard to do.

I'm out of here , heading down to Melbourne to pick up a new EPIRB...$299 at Smiths.... cya.
Old 10-09-2015, 14:20   #60

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Are there any Queenslanders, Brisbane area members in a position to go out and assist him in if I get his co ordinates as he gets closer towards Brisbane ?

Perhaps a brief post in the Crew Wanted thread? Crew required, from about halfway between New Cal and Brisneyland. Must be able to arrange own transport, or contact NZ navy for assistance. Please bring oranges, sauerkraut or any other source of vitamin c.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Australia, yacht