Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 04:03   #256

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Please excuse the thread drift, but of those of you familiar with the Roberts 36, would any of you be able to comment on it's stability? Looks a little tender from the photos I can find. I never understood how to read all those figures that tell you these things, so tend to base my guesses on the shape.

Matt
Old 26-09-2015, 04:23   #257

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Please excuse the thread drift, but of those of you familiar with the Roberts 36, would any of you be able to comment on it's stability? Looks a little tender from the photos I can find. I never understood how to read all those figures that tell you these things, so tend to base my guesses on the shape.

Matt
No, I think the 36's are not bad boats. The cutter version is prone to weather helm. But the ketch should be easier to balance. Not sure what she's made from? Looks glass, but I guess she could be wood or foam core.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-09-2015, 05:08   #258

Thanks Ben. Well in that case I think I have found my next boat if the Swanny ever sinks from under me. I just love the look of that thing, I am not sure I'd be all that sad if it sailed like a bathtub. That whole high flat foredeck thing really pushes my buttons. :^)

It's kinda Southcoast 36 meets Swanson on a moonlit night.
Old 26-09-2015, 05:15   #259
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Matt
Roberts 36 FWIW:
DISPL.
(Fg or Wood) 14,750 lb
(steel) 18,000 lb
BALLAST 6,275 lb (42.5% - 34.9%)
https://www.bruceroberts.com/public/...escription.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:23   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Roberts 36 FWIW:
DISPL.
(Fg or Wood) 14,750 lb
(steel) 18,000 lb
BALLAST 6,275 lb (42.5% - 34.9%)
https://www.bruceroberts.com/public/...escription.htm
Now that's just plain mean, I just said I can't read those figures!
Old 26-09-2015, 05:42   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Now that's just plain mean, I just said I can't read those figures!
Sorry.
The theory of the ballast/displacement ratio is to indicate the boat's "stiffness", which is resistance to heeling or ability to stand up under sail. This is the relationship between total displacement and ballast; it tells us how a boat might stand up to her canvas.
Heavily ballasted boats, those with a ratio of 40 -50%, stand up well to their sail area and allow more sail to be carried in heavier conditions.
Lightly ballasted boats (under 40%) rely on their hull form to provide some resistance to heeling and generally need to be reefed earlier to remain under control.

See also:
Ted Brewer Yacht Design

Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 2800+ boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:52   #262

Thank you GordMay, you have started me on the path of learning. :^)
Old 26-09-2015, 05:54   #263
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Thanks Ben. Well in that case I think I have found my next boat if the Swanny ever sinks from under me. I just love the look of that thing, I am not sure I'd be all that sad if it sailed like a bathtub. That whole high flat foredeck thing really pushes my buttons. :^)

It's kinda Southcoast 36 meets Swanson on a moonlit night.
G....

This is a public forum you know. ...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:02   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
G....

This is a public forum you know. ...
Yeah, sorry, I got all shivery just typing that.
Old 26-09-2015, 06:34   #265

Excellent, I have just discovered we have a motion comfort number 0f 49.9 out of 60. I am sailing an armchair. That and a capsize ratio of 1.55 makes it more of a sofa.
Old 26-09-2015, 06:44   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Excellent, I have just discovered we have a motion comfort number 0f 49.9 out of 60. I am sailing an armchair. That and a capsize ratio of 1.55 makes it more of a sofa.
You Sir...

Are making me enjoy this thread immensely today!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 10:29   #267

Boat: Island Packet 40

On EPIRBS.

First a whinge. I seem to recall that when they were about to oblige us to throw away a bunch of perfectly good gadgets, and replace them with ones two or three times as expensive, it was stated that it would be no more expensive in the long term since the new would have a 10 year battery life instead of the 5 years for the old. I notice the new actually have only 6 years.

On the grand old lover triggering his EPIRB.

There are a number of factors which probably contribute to his regular use of this device:
Under the law he has no choice as to whether he carries one of these devices since it is a regulatory requirement that he bear the expense if he ventures more than 5 miles from shore. He probably figured that if the mongrels make him have it whether he wants it or not they can answer when he calls.

He seems fairly determined to save his boat (it might be his home or possibly most valued possession) and saving it was his major priority and above any other considerations.

It's great to see that the old man made it back and kept his boat. Unfortunately the next part of the saga may be attempts to restrict his future movements.

On the Roberts 36.

My boat was based upon this design but since I am 6'7" tall and the spacing of bulk heads for fit out needed to take this into account the frames were spaced further apart and it ended up being almost 40'.

The boat tends to be tender with a sloop rig which would not be as much of a problem with the ketch rig. The upside in a cruising vessel is that it has a slow easy roll and does not overload the rig.

One of the downsides of the old design in steel is that it is based upon frames and stringers and tends to internal corrosion problems.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 14:26   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

On the Roberts 36.

My boat was based upon this design but since I am 6'7" tall and the spacing of bulk heads for fit out needed to take this into account the frames were spaced further apart and it ended up being almost 40'.

The boat tends to be tender with a sloop rig which would not be as much of a problem with the ketch rig. The upside in a cruising vessel is that it has a slow easy roll and does not overload the rig.

One of the downsides of the old design in steel is that it is based upon frames and stringers and tends to internal corrosion problems.

Wow, that is tall! You are welcome aboard any day on our boat, but you'd better bring a helmet.

Ok, maybe my (admittedly strange) perception of boats has some sound basis because looking at the hull shape out of the water I felt that it would be a little tender. But I still think it is a very handsome design and if someone offered me one tomorrow I would not say no.

As to the subject of this thread, I am so very glad he made it home safely. It will be unfortunate if he is restricted in his movement. I am one of those that resents the Nanny State mentality and believes in the freedom of the individual to determine their own fate. Of course there are relevant points about the risk others may face in rescuing him, and whether or not he is able to make informed decisions about his own welfare, but I feel too often the pendulum goes to far the other way, and sometimes it is pushed that way by others with self interest at heart. (I am most certainly not suggesting anything of that nature here, I know nothing about this individual case.). Good luck to him whatever happens, and I sincerely applaud his taste in boats.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-09-2015, 15:18   #269
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
On EPIRBS.

First a whinge. I seem to recall that when they were about to oblige us to throw away a bunch of perfectly good gadgets, and replace them with ones two or three times as expensive, it was stated that it would be no more expensive in the long term since the new would have a 10 year battery life instead of the 5 years for the old. I notice the new actually have only 6 years.

Surely you don't really believe this! I'm uncertain of the series of EPIRB you are referring to but none of the pre 406 beacons could be considered as "perfectly good gadgets". IME, they were bludi hopeless although occasionally they helped to locate a distressed vessel or aircraft; however, mostly they didn't. I'm about to replaced my current EPIRB due to battery expiry and the new one is $290 for a GPS embedded unit with a 10 year battery life and a 3 day transmit time. In no way is this 2 or 3 times more expensive than the old and it is light years ahead in technology.
End of EPIRB rant.

On the grand old lover triggering his EPIRB.

There are a number of factors which probably contribute to his regular use of this device:
Under the law he has no choice as to whether he carries one of these devices since it is a regulatory requirement that he bear the expense if he ventures more than 5 miles from shore. He probably figured that if the mongrels make him have it whether he wants it or not they can answer when he calls.

He seems fairly determined to save his boat (it might be his home or possibly most valued possession) and saving it was his major priority and above any other considerations.

Reasonable assessment!

It's great to see that the old man made it back and kept his boat. Unfortunately the next part of the saga may be attempts to restrict his future movements.

Surely pure speculation and IMO, without credible foundation. I accept you may have other knowledge to make such a claim but there is nothing I can see in this thread to support this notion.

On the Roberts 36.

One thing for sure, This sailor has unwittingly keep quite a bunch of us on CF "entertained" for a week or more. Perhaps part of the reason behind this far ranging thread is the lack of any real detail of the facts his story and this IMO, makes for "good journalism"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 00:01   #270

i skipped a few pages.. is he back on land?
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht