Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 18:04   #226
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post


I guess they aren't!

No disrespect to family or the skipper but methinks the family aren't impressed with the whole saga, especially the apparently "permanent" move to Fiji.
See my comment at 197 re wife and lawyers.
I think he would be within his rights to ask border farce etc not to publicise his whereabouts......
__________________

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:16   #227
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
See my comment at 197 re wife and lawyers.
I think he would be within his rights to ask border farce etc not to publicise his whereabouts......
I was going to say something but chose not to..






__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:26   #228
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Poor guy. Escaped from being eaten by sharks just to return to land and being eaten by lawyers.

I would try to get some money fast, repair the boat / buy new sails / provisions and get the hell out of there to join my hot, girlfriend... But that's me

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
__________________
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:11   #229
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,056
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post


I guess they aren't!

No disrespect to family or the skipper but methinks the family aren't impressed with the whole saga, especially the apparently "permanent" move to Fiji.
Oh hell, he is an adult. If wants to move to Fiji so what. I can't see that being an issue.
__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:27   #230
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,880
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Small Drift, but I was just told from an Australian friend in Bali that he no longer gets his Australian pension, because he is not residing Oz.

Would an Australian sailor, living on board an Australian registered yacht in Fiji, still be eligible to collect his pension?
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:36   #231
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,709
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Small Drift, but I was just told from an Australian friend in Bali that he no longer gets his Australian pension, because he is not residing Oz.

Would an Australian sailor, living on board an Australian registered yacht in Fiji, still be eligible to collect his pension?
It's complicated:"If you've already been receiving the Age Pension for greater than two years while in Australia you can move overseas and receive the pension. The amount you'll receive depends on how long you'll stay overseas and how long you lived in Australia since being 16.

Living overseas for greater than 26 weeks will see your pension reduced to an amount in proportion to the number of years you were an Australian resident once over the age of 16. If you've lived in Australia for greater than 25 years you'll receive the full amount.

If you've lived in Australia for less than 25 years you'll receive an amount in proportion to the years as a resident.\

If you've come back to Australia and have started receiving the Age Pension in the last two years you won't be able to receive the Age Pension overseas. In these cases you must live in Australia for at least two years since your last arrival for residence."
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:36   #232
Senior Cruiser
 
Wanderlust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NSW Central Coast
Boat: Lagoon 410
Posts: 499
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Yes.

He would receive a little less, but once granted he would still be elligible. There are some complexities, but having it already in place is the key.

Edit: I see StuM posted at the same time with further detail. I assume being 78 he would have been on the pension for years. Note that the 25 year residency rule for migrants was recently changed from 35.
__________________
Steve
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:38   #233
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Sadley, there has been a development this morning. Apparently it's a bit rough in the Bay, and he's set off another Epirb. But he's not co-operating in coming into shore.

It seems police will try to bring him into Scarborough Harbour as he's just off there. Volunteers are being sought to assist if anyone can help in the area.

Please don't read too much into this. It's obviously not good. But we don't know exactly what his problem is as he's not co operating and three times with an Epirb is more than enough.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 20:15   #234
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Sadley, there has been a development this morning. Apparently it's a bit rough in the Bay, and he's set off another Epirb. But he's not co-operating in coming into shore.

It seems police will try to bring him into Scarborough Harbour as he's just off there. Volunteers are being sought to assist if anyone can help in the area.

Please don't read too much into this. It's obviously not good. But we don't know exactly what his problem is as he's not co operating and three times with an Epirb is more than enough.
That's kinda weird... popping the EPIRB when in easy VHF range of a whole lot of well meaning VMR folks who would come tow him in. I'm beginning to wonder about his mentition.


Looks like he will likely survive this ordeal, but I dunno what will become of him once ashore. Up till now I have been supportive of most of his actions, but this is sure strange, and definitely a PITA for the authorities.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 20:33   #235
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

The fact that the police are involved also seems a little strange to me. But the whole series of incidents has seemed strange to me, as far as that goes. Maybe one of the Australian posters knows if police involvement is normal for this type of incident, or whether the family have had to get some kind of a court order, having him deemed a danger to himself?

Another supposition I made was that what he had loaded onto the boat was his. What if it were all possessions of the rest of the family?

I guess what I'm wondering if if we're seeing the outside of dementia in some form; or the outside of some other physical condition? or greed? or?????? We don't really know who the shoreside family are, my guess before was not the "cruel ex-wife", but concerned adult children/heirs. At the moment, i'm out of guesses.

I do hope this has a decent resolution. It is sounding like there could be a confrontation involved.

The EPIRB again could just be due to the fact that he didn't or wasn't able to use his VHF. Radio issues or dehydration? or mentition/lack thereof?

More questions than answers here for sure!

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 20:38   #236
Registered User
 
bill good's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: sold
Posts: 721
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Coast Guard Redcliffe has the boat under tow for Scarborough Harbour. The family have been notified. Will be cleared on arrival.

Regards Bill
__________________
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 22:02   #237
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Would spring for grog and a meal were I near. Best wishes.


------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 02:20   #238
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The fact that the police are involved also seems a little strange to me. But the whole series of incidents has seemed strange to me, as far as that goes. Maybe one of the Australian posters knows if police involvement is normal for this type of incident, or whether the family have had to get some kind of a court order, having him deemed a danger to himself?

Another supposition I made was that what he had loaded onto the boat was his. What if it were all possessions of the rest of the family?

I guess what I'm wondering if if we're seeing the outside of dementia in some form; or the outside of some other physical condition? or greed? or?????? We don't really know who the shoreside family are, my guess before was not the "cruel ex-wife", but concerned adult children/heirs. At the moment, i'm out of guesses.

I do hope this has a decent resolution. It is sounding like there could be a confrontation involved.

The EPIRB again could just be due to the fact that he didn't or wasn't able to use his VHF. Radio issues or dehydration? or mentition/lack thereof?

More questions than answers here for sure!

Ann
Ann, he's a 'missing person' which is certainly a police matter. But in addition he's not really co operating. The family have not taken out any sort of order. All the possessions he loaded his boat with are his. His family concerned about him here is his daughter, who is just very concerned for him. They have gone to the docks to await his arrival. Apparently quite a few people are down there.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:35   #239
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Well folks, what a drama. But it's now over. He's safely tied up. His daughter is very relieved that he's finally back.

I have no other news on his welfare.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:45   #240
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

No longer "missing"; that is good news.
I'm sure he will have an interesting next few days as he "recovers"!

Thanks RC for all the effort you have put into this thread and this man's welfare.
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waikiki Yacht Club, ideas/assistance joining? JollyGreen808 General Sailing Forum 0 14-07-2015 02:42
URGENT: Cruiser's Boat Kid missing from boardwalk/marina in Kemah Texas. KDH Cruising News & Events 26 25-04-2015 16:09
missing spreader end how do i find the right replacement rrn Monohull Sailboats 8 23-04-2014 19:25
Australian Resident Importing Australian Reg Boat garrytas Boat Ownership & Making a Living 24 06-03-2014 05:18
Emergency crews puzzled by yacht find Yacht Lead sneuman Health, Safety & Related Gear 76 08-10-2008 10:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.